Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '05 Spyder with 16k miles in May. LOVE IT!!! The car is near concourse level and the rubber was all brand new. This classic cost me less than a 2 year old Honda Accord so I consider it my daily driver and have put 4000 miles on this head turner. This past week I brought it in for an oil change. The mechanic was kind enough to allow me to look under the car and take pics. All looked great except for a couple of undercarriage scratches from steep driveways. But then I looked at the front tires. The inside of both front tires are down to the stainless steel belts! WTF? I'm a bit shocked by how this can happen in 4000 miles. No track driving. Just my share of exhilarating cornering and acceleration.
So, I'm buying new Michelin 255/40ZR18's to replace this week.
Any suggestions on how to make certain I don't burn thru these?
Cheers,
Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Usually toe out causes this. I set mine to a slight toe in and no wear on the inside. My jag had the same problem when I bought it and so did a z4 I owned. Same fix.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I bought my '05 Spyder with 16k miles in May. LOVE IT!!! The car is near concourse level and the rubber was all brand new. This classic cost me less than a 2 year old Honda Accord so I consider it my daily driver and have put 4000 miles on this head turner. This past week I brought it in for an oil change. The mechanic was kind enough to allow me to look under the car and take pics. All looked great except for a couple of undercarriage scratches from steep driveways. But then I looked at the front tires. The inside of both front tires are down to the stainless steel belts! WTF? I'm a bit shocked by how this can happen in 4000 miles. No track driving. Just my share of exhilarating cornering and acceleration.
So, I'm buying new Michelin 255/40ZR18's to replace this week.
Any suggestions on how to make certain I don't burn thru these?
Cheers,
Marc
Yeah it happens fast with that factory spec alignment....like "RJ" siad, toe in just a hair, (a degree or 2).

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I bought my Spyder it was shipped up from Texas. I started getting front tire wear. Problem was the transport guys had put their tie-downs over the tie-rods and bent one of them, so instant toe out. There's a danger here that once bent the tie-rod might fail and on a freeway you'll have a very exciting short ride.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I set my toe to 0 after noticing the inside wear on my front tires(was set to factory specs by the PO who put on the tires). The front tires then lasted over 16k miles with fairly even wear. My GS is lowered a little bit with the FD springs, but I've not measured the camber - all setup by the previous owner but I just haven't bothered to check it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good comments, I agree. I was having a weird, intermittent problem with the ABS and MSP lights coming on. After a proper four wheel alignment the lights rarely come on now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts