Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been mentioned on many recent threads and has even been the foundation of heated debates that the Pininfarina styling is a timeless attribute that was lost in the newer models. I've always said that you know when you have a nice car when kids pull at their dad's shirt sleeve and point when you drive by, or when you can't drive 100 miles without someone taking pics of you on the road, or when you witness someone taking selfies next to your car at least twice a week.

Over the recent year, many hip-hop videos have emerged featuring the QP5 cars, especially the older ones. Prop masters love them. I also received a call and brought mine to a shoot only a month ago for a south Florida artist. They didn't want a newer car - the manager said "we want your car because it's sexy." I'll post pics of that shoot as soon as they give me the OK on the copyright.

Over the weekend, a friend of mine posted videos and pics of the Imagine Music Festival, full of thousands of young people surrounded by light shows, graphic visualizations and deafening EDM music. When they chose a automotive graphic to animate and display on the megatron to match the edgy atmosphere of the concert, what did they use? A QP5, of course!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What always amazes me is how broad the appeal is of the QPV - from bad ass rappers singing about them (young dro), film directors using them in films to the huge range of people that own them...it’s classily classless!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The QP5 is a beauty from all angles and thats why I chose it over a new QP !!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, while so much hype over the new cheap Maz, the QP5 will remain a classic, despite its high maintenance cost. I will keep mine forever now that my kids can wrench.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
High maintenance relative to what? A Bentley or Aston-Martin is often far worse, and that's got a fairly bulletproof automatic. The thing that concerns me going forward is parts availability for the QP V. All those computers, which don't work unless closely matched to part number... they're not always available and can't be repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Yes looks great from every angle.
But... the purebred, all Italian, non-chrysler QP5 taillights, ironically look like a Chrysler 300. ;)
To the extent that both sets of taillights are large and red, on the exterior corners of the rear, that's true. But the similarities end there. The QP V taillights appear triangular from the rear, and the inner slanted side accents nicely a little strip of body panel between the light assembly and the slanting trunk lid. The Chrysler 300 lights are rectangular or trapezoidal, and on some models have a pointed top and a big vertical divide making the lights not flat on the rear, like a piece of half-folded origami. They occupy the entire back part of the quarter panel, so running right up against the trunk lid. The difference in styling is pretty big. If you think they're similar, there's no job at Pininfarina waiting for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow that was a very detailed comparison. Yes they are not identical but looking at them at a driving distance behind them they do look similar and if you cant see that well... It doesn't really matter.
Its really the only part of the QP5 that looks a little dated. Design wise I think they could have done better, but I have very very high standards when it comes to tail light design. As far as a job I would prefer to work for bertone anyway. Their tail light design studio is way better. Everyone knows that. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
You had me thinking on this, and I had a long walk through a parking lot today and noticed that actually a lot of cars have a similar taillight design... the most similar to the QP V was a Toyota Corolla... they are actually triangular. But I think the distinguishing feature of the QP V tail end design is that strip of panel which separates the trunk lid from the lights. No other car with similar taillights has that.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, wait, wait!

How could nobody mention the Lincoln MKS taillights? They started out production with the same taillight layout as the first gen QP5. Then when Maserati changed the layout to a center clear section, Lincoln followed suit!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
233 Posts
High maintenance relative to what? A Bentley or Aston-Martin is often far worse, and that's got a fairly bulletproof automatic. The thing that concerns me going forward is parts availability for the QP V. All those computers, which don't work unless closely matched to part number... they're not always available and can't be repaired.
I never owned a Bentley or Aston; there is a reason you can buy a nice ten year old low mileage QP5 For $25,000USD.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$25K? Try $15K. BTW, I just got sent to me a mint 2005 Maybach for $39K. And, a 30K mile Aston V8 manual trans just sold on BaT for $28K. And, I bought my low-mileage QPIII back in the 1990s for $6,900 when that had an original window sticker of well over $100K less than 10 years earlier with the options.

Maserati or not, old cars are cheap. The only exception are true collector cars which are not only limited production, but also have a certain appeal, otherwise those will tank in value too.

And a rule of thumb, NO sedan has ever held its value. Proportionately, the Rolls Royce Phantoms lose more value than QPs!

·
Registered
630 Posts
NO sedan has ever held its value.
VERY TRUE !

Therefore enjoy your cars more often and don't keep them into the garages for value
purposes.....(low mileage , unscratched etc)

Most probably in some years we will switch it with the new iPhone 20 😁

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VERY TRUE !

Therefore enjoy your cars more often and don't keep them into the garages for value
purposes.....(low mileage , unscratched etc)

Most probably in some years we will switch it with the new iPhone 20 😁
Haha that iPhone comment reminds me of the Airplane 2 movie (in the future with the lunar shuttle) and the terrorist buys the timebomb. Look at the movie poster in the background LMAOO!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
$25K? Try $15K. BTW, I just got sent to me a mint 2005 Maybach for $39K. And, a 30K mile Aston V8 manual trans just sold on BaT for $28K. And, I bought my low-mileage QPIII back in the 1990s for $6,900 when that had an original window sticker of well over $100K less than 10 years earlier with the options.

Maserati or not, old cars are cheap. The only exception are true collector cars which are not only limited production, but also have a certain appeal, otherwise those will tank in value too.

And a rule of thumb, NO sedan has ever held its value. Proportionately, the Rolls Royce Phantoms lose more value than QPs!
Turn-of-the-century Bentleys had window stickers over $400K and are currently selling in the high $20Ks, even low milers. It's damn strange, I tell you.

And congrats on the Maybach, I want one too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So it seems like part of the reason the values are dropping so much is because the ones with costly issues (clutch, F1 pump, variators etc.) are driving down the price on the good ones. There is one at a dealer on craigslist right now for $13 grand. (Looks nice but dont know what it needs.) I cant help thinking that if the price on nice ones drop to $10,000 and ones that need work are $5000... I would have to get another one or two.

But what can they be used for? A rental car fleet through a smartphone app? Gut the interior install a roll cage and race it, or have a nice track car or hill climb car. ? But its still a heavy 4 door... and too nice and fast to be a lemons or chump race car.

Maybe if they get cheap enough we will all have to own more than one and just start hording them in the back yard.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to blame 10% on the repair/maintenance issues. The depreciation plague has followed Maserati long before there were F1 gearboxes or VVT technology, and the AMG cars are no different. A 2005 S55 is scrap metal compared to its MSRP.

I like them because they're fun to tinker with and they look and sound good. For example, I can't compete in the performance coupe realm in South Florida. Everyone and their mother has a Lambo. Clean QPs on the other hand are a rare find, and with very few customizations thrown at them, they become showstoppers.

Sean hit the nail on the head regarding servicing issues in the distant future. Right now there are still a few of us who understand them and still have access to parts. However, the curriculum is already shifting at the dealer level and the second-hand parts available now are quickly aging at the exotic scrapyards. I say, own them while you can and be bold with them. It's probably your last chance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts