Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2002 spyder that has been sitting indoors for the winter, I wanted to get it ready for driving as the weather is starting to break. I have come across a few problems that I was hoping to get some advice on. I started the car to move it onto a lift, I was planning on doing an oil change. First thing I noticed was a large amount of oil burning off the exhaust headers.
It seems from looking from under that the Tappet covers are leaking bad on both sides? I did some searches and cannot find any other posts regarding it? Is this common, is it something that can be tightened or will it need a gasket replacement? If so, how hard of the job is it for a DIYer?

next problem was the level indictator on the dash is on, from reading other post, this is for the F1 fluid. again, while on the lift, I found the tank and was going to top it off but it seems you need a special tool. I think the tool looks like a bent straw? Is there any other way to top this off accurately? What a horrible spot to put this tank??

ok, and last, while I was under I seem to have found alot of seepage on the rear diff. so I am going to clean it off and figured I might as well change the gear diff fluid also. This one looks simple from the maserati service manual, one lower drain plug and one fill spot about 1/3 of the way up on pass side? Anything special that anyone recommends for this one?

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am sure it is not the winter storage that is creating this - just a problem that would have eventually happened. Hopefully, some of the more mechanical members of this thread can help you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Valve cover gaskets are a common leak area for these cars. It is something that someone with a good mechanical ability can do. It does require several metric allen keys to remove the coilpacks and the valve covers. You have to remove the seconday air tubes and diverter valves which can be a pain. I usually get them from the bottom side with a universal and a allen socket. I have the benefit of using a lift. Make sure to refit the gasket for the secondary air diverter valves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugattitech, Thanks, when I go to the dealer should I be asking for valve cover gaskets or are they called anything else? Also do they come with the sec air diverter valve gaskets or are they reuseable? Also, I think they may be a minor header gasket leak, I hear a light tick that seems to be also coming from the side that is leaking bad.

james, you are probably right, just seems that way as it drove great in november before parking it for the winter :)

Thanks

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Valve cover gaskets is what I call it. I am sure that is pretty wildly accepted. I have reused the diverter valve gaskets but it sounds like you have an exhaust leak coming from one side. I would have them check that out while they are in there. A ticking noise is normally an exhaust leak hopefully it isnt a lifter noise. That could be expensive. Let me know what they say. I would also let the technician who is working on the car pinpoint the leak. You dont want to pay for valve cover gaskets when you dont really need them. Just to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.