Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 coupe (in process of driving it back to chicago from UTAH ;) . When I press the NAV button it tells me the CD is missing of course the dealer didn't have it. I'd like to know where to insert the CD once I purchase it? does it go in the arm rest or am I missing Something. Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotcha, thanks. well that sucks now I can't swap music cds while I'm driving 5 isn't enough.
how can I tell if I have the antenna and if not....where can I get one.
lastly, how can one tell if they have skyhook?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Lol. You did a great job buying a Maser ;)

with a 2002, if you have to ask how to tell (ie. you dont see a very big obtrusive antenna on the trunk) you dont have one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tohught the NAV antenna was under the dash or something like that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A sure fire way to check, is to remove the arm rest piece and look at the back of your Magneti Marelli unit. If you have Navagation, there will be an antenna plugged into the gray connector as shown below:

Also, when the NAV has its antenna installed software, the little "satellite" logo on the screen is Green.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jalpa_Mike said:
A sure fire way to check, is to remove the arm rest piece and look at the back of your Magneti Marelli unit. If you have Navagation, there will be an antenna plugged into the gray connector as shown below:

Also, when the NAV has its antenna installed software, the little "satellite" logo on the screen is Green.
So even without the NAV Cd in the satelite should be green? I might not have NAV then because the satelite is black but I don't have a NAV CD yet.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you are navigation equipped, you would see a screen showing your longitude, latitude, elevation and number of satellites being received even without a CD inserted. Do you get the nag screen? What happens when you press NAV?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah I get the Nag screen and then it shows me the compass. No Lat or Long though. Would anyone like to sell me a copy of their Nav discs?? I figure spending $500 for the set from Maser isn't worth according to how useless everyone says the system is.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
nomorejags said:
Yah I get the Nag screen and then it shows me the compass. No Lat or Long though. Would anyone like to sell me a copy of their Nav discs?? I figure spending $500 for the set from Maser isn't worth according to how useless everyone says the system is.
I don't believe you have navigation. Without a CD it reports the number of received satellites and current posistion/altitude. There are a few threads describing the agony of trying to enable navigation on unequipped cars. I believe all gave up (not sure about this though). Anyway, the stock nav is pretty poor.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Since you have an '02 (which uses the Magneti Marelli NIT), I believe that the software was loaded at the factory. In my case, the car was missing the GPS antenna. I bought a nice antenna off eBay for like 25 bucks, hooked it up, and my little satellite icon immediately changed from "Gray" and lit up "Green", and I got LAT/LON coordinates and 6 satellite's acquired.

From my understanding, if you have the satellite icon, you have navigation. I've seen the later cars (2003 and beyond) that use the newer (Becker?) NIT, and if you don't have the software installed, you don't even get the satellite icon. As I stated above, I had the icon when I bought the car, but it was gray. When I attached the GPS antenna, all was right. My car did come with the CD's, so I'm not sure why the antenna was missing....

This is the antenna I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GPS-antenna-SAT...ryZ34289QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll also need the region CD's, which I notice a set for sale on eBay as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mase...001QQitemZ110067463844QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Good luck,

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will I need to run the wires from the armrest all the way up to the dash? Or will it just plug in under the dash. Is there any other antenna that would work that i could be up locally. I'm a little anxious,lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Any GPS antenna will work. The only stipulation is that it has a GT5 connector, that is what it needs to plug into the Magneti Marelli NIT. Most of the GPS antenna's that I found locally (usually at Marine stores), used BNC type connectors.

And yes, what I did was actually ordered the GPS mount from Maserati (its like a whole $17.00, part number is: 382300605). There is a screw under that grill that you take off, mount the GPS mount, and put the screw back in. The GPS antenna has a magnet built into it, so it grabs right onto the mount and won't move at all.

The antenna's wire is about 20' long, so there is plenty of length to run it down through the console and back to the NIT under the arm rest.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks that helped plenty. What all will need to be romved to run the wire neatly?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I didn't have to remove anything. When you have the upper grill removed, you can just fish the wire down. I then just pushed it up under the console piece (shifter and climate control stuff). It pushes up real nice and is out of site. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could lift it all off and wire tie it to all the looms that head back towards the unit, but I didn't bother. If I ever have to take off the center console, I'll do it. I just didn't want to create a whole bunch of extra work.

The extra GPS antenna wire, I just coiled up and put a zip tie around it, and it stows nicely under the arm rest just behind the NIT.

Another diagram to help:

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks a whole lot. I'm going to go by a couple car audio shops today and see what I can find if not I'll order that one off of ebay. Hrmmm, now I have an antenna solution, but still no CDs,lol. Anyone up for making me a copy before I spend $6m on a set of Cds? Okay maybe not quite $6m

1 - 17 of 17 Posts