Maserati Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am the proud owner of a GS Spyder, but the climate where I live prevents me from doing regular trips during the winter season.

Consequently I'm wondering if I have to prime the engine before I take it for a spin after a longer period of stand still. In my previus toys - none of them had dry-sump - I always removed the fuel pump fuse, and then I ran the enginge with the starter for a while until I got oil-pressure indication.

Is that necessary with this engine also?

TIA
/F.

·
Registered
98 Posts
priming the engine oil

Most modern engines use filters with built in anti drain back valves. I've read that the Maserati filters are of this type and at approximately $35 per I would hope that they'd do their job. If so, then except for the oil that drains to the crankcase the lines and passageways in the engine should remain full. This certainly seems to be the situation with my Spyder 'cause almost immediately after firing the engine up it registers pressure. Be that as it may, it is generally thought that the first few second of running after the engine is started is the period when most engine wear occurs. Therefore it behooves us to not race cold engines. (One reason to change ones own oil is that even thought the filter goes in sideways it can be prefilled and not all will drain out whilst you install it.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.