Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I am about to pull the trigger on getting the FD springs put on my 02 coupe GT and was wondering what other people have paid for the labor assocaite with the job. I am looking to having this done at a good local shop.
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
$600

·
Registered
210 Posts
Springs

Around $ 800.00 + Dealer (Auto Gallery LA, CA.)
Do not lower the car more than 1" all around! Even at that speed bumps must be taken with care.
Ron
2003 Coupe GT

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I lowered my GS 1", so it's like lowering a Coupe 1.5". It looks great! But I do hit the front quite a bit...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does that include alignment and corner balancing? Where in SoCal did you get the springs installed?

Still looking for a GS but once I get one, this might be my first mod.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Now that you've mentioned, no, that was just installation, alignement was an extra $150. Normal 4 wheel alignement, not corner weighted.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
May I suggest you have as first mod the FD DBW? The GS has a pretty decent stock set-up. I put the springs on my GS too but I think the real benefit you get out of them is on the track.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
217 Posts
May I suggest you have as first mod the FD DBW? The GS has a pretty decent stock set-up. I put the springs on my GS too but I think the real benefit you get out of them is on the track.
Yup. Definitely. FD DBW would be on the list as well as having the dealer adjust the PIS to make the shifting more aggressive and save the clutch a bit.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
+1

I have the same setup as BF and Niteroi and would do DBW first and springs next if done in phases.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I put the springs on my GS too but I think the real benefit you get out of them is on the track.
Bigfoot - is your view of the springs that the change is not that great around town ? Springs are my next mod and from the reviews on ML thought they would be as transforming as the DBW is. The handling on my coupe is wholly inadequate - and I've drive the GS and not felt that much of a difference in the handling - although I think the lowered stance definately helps the GS which would lead me to think that lowering the coupe may be an option and then wait for FD to come out with the mod for the skyhook system.

Just some thoughts

And, P.S. to anyone driving a non-DBW CC - IMO this is an absolute must mod, not an option. The car is completely changed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Once I find my GS, I think I will be doing springs first as well. I want to be able to drive the car w/o the DBW for a bit first to see just how much a transformation it is.
Is FD the only one we can get the springs from?
I have bought springs for many cars, and knowing parts will be more just because it's a Maserati doesn't seem to justify the price ($1295) for something like springs alone.
I will be doing springs for handling as well as aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Ramp - IMHO, the springs are just as transforming (and I have a GS) as the DBW. Cornering is a completely different experience since the addition. It sounds like that is important to you. However, for someone considering which to do first, I'd to DBW then springs since the DBW provides the added benefit of (fingers crossed) better clutch life and the sooner you can begin reaping the benefits of that, the better off you'll be in the long run.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ramp - IMHO, the springs are just as transforming (and I have a GS) as the DBW. Cornering is a completely different experience since the addition. It sounds like that is important to you. However, for someone considering which to do first, I'd to DBW then springs since the DBW provides the added benefit of (fingers crossed) better clutch life and the sooner you can begin reaping the benefits of that, the better off you'll be in the long run.
Ahh yes... good point about helping out the clutch benefits with this mod.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Vincenzo -no doubt the DBW is a 1st mod since it is also very easy to DIY. Handling is more important to me than 0-60 times - although 60 to ?? times are a different story - but why digress. Springs go on this spring and hopefully Jeff will have the skyhook module out by then - Jeff ?

Maserati - do the DBW first ! You can always turn it off to remind yourself what was and what is. I do this every so often. It takes about 2 minutes for me to pull over and flip it back on - you will never want to drive the car without it again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Now that you've mentioned, no, that was just installation, alignement was an extra $150. Normal 4 wheel alignement, not corner weighted.
BTW, when I added adjustable coilovers and lowered my Lotus I had it both aligned and corner balanced. Granted, the corner balancing is important on this car especially on the track. But, I'm curious what people think about the necessity of corner balancing when lowering and realigning the suspension?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Vincenzo -no doubt the DBW is a 1st mod since it is also very easy to DIY. Handling is more important to me than 0-60 times - although 60 to ?? times are a different story - but why digress. Springs go on this spring and hopefully Jeff will have the skyhook module out by then - Jeff ?

Maserati - do the DBW first ! You can always turn it off to remind yourself what was and what is. I do this every so often. It takes about 2 minutes for me to pull over and flip it back on - you will never want to drive the car without it again.
Wouldn't I need to be concerned with warranty with the DBW?
I know most will say it depends on your relationship with you dealer, but at the moment I haven't even gotten the car yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
To the original question: I did springs, w/ lowering & alignment, plus replaced brake lines and pads with the FD kit = $1,100.

Regarding the DBW / Springs: I bought both last spring and installed the springs, holding off on the DBW until my warranty was up in November. Have not yet installed. Having been in Ramp's Coupe just after install, I have to say the power was wicked. So I mad my choice based on the warranty but it might have been the right thing anyway. I drive a lot on narrow curvy roads and I never liked the "float" of my GS when in tight places. After install the springs the car just pivots, like point and go and the car is tight to the ground (lowered by 1").

·
Registered
744 Posts
I did the springs first and then the DBW. If I only had one choice it would be the springs - no question.

As for price - I think the $1295 that Jeff is asking for the springs is pretty fair especially given the huge improvement they make. He is a small shop and has to spread his development costs over a small number of customers. The price on Modena Tec springs or KW's is at least double and most aftermarket parts for Ferraris are very expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.