Maserati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
5,887 Posts
And not to confuse this thread, but these are the qualities of Maserati I think of when I look at the new QP and wonder if that's the right direction for the company. Is that the sort of car that's consistent with Maserati heritage or does that take it in a new direction. While it doesn't have to be consistent with its past, we all value and appreciate that on some level (some more than others). And you can lump that in with the issue of increased production volumes, the addition of an SUV, etc. All these things are going to happen and we'll see what the results are in the end. However, while the sentiments shared on this thread are pretty esoteric and only exist in people's minds, they create a real bond between the cars, their owners, and to some degree, popular culture. Maserati will have to deftly thread the needle in order to avoid damaging that bond, while creating new ones with the next generation of owners.
There are dozens to reasons to buy, or not to buy, any car. In the end, no single car is perfect for everyone. What does the current generation og Maseratis (GT/QP) offer owners that the new generation won't?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just saw this thread and had to share an experience. I was walking out of a Starbucks toward my '02 Spyder, rosso mondiale with tan interior, prominently parked on a city street and shining in the sun. While I was still maybe 40 feet away from the car, I see a man pointing at it and gesticulating with his hands, clearly enthused and describing the car to two children. As I got nearer I can see he's probably their grandfather... maybe in his 60s or so, with two boys aged ~ 6 and ~8. And getting still closer, I realize he is speaking 100% ITALIAN (this, in my hometown of Greenville, SC). This is The Italian Guy straight out of central casting... his hands are waving wildly in the air and he's speaking 1,000 words per minute to his grandkids, all in Italian.... even pointing with a stabbing finger to the Maserati badge on the front! When I approached and he realized I was the owner, he asked in very broken English if he can get his photo with the car. Which of course I obliged. I've had some good fun in this car, but this moment was one I'll always remember.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Priceless! Fantastic story, thanks for sharing it. My wife used to work at Furman, so I can picture the scene well.....hard to image in Greenville!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are dozens to reasons to buy, or not to buy, any car. In the end, no single car is perfect for everyone. What does the current generation og Maseratis (GT/QP) offer owners that the new generation won't?
We'll see. Clearly, the new QP will be packing more power into a bigger package. Is that what people want? Does a Maserati limousine stir the same passions as the current edition QP - despite all its shortcomings. I'm curious to find out. For a new generation of owners who have no history with Maserati, it may not make any difference at all. That is until they stop by this forum and hear owner's like us waxing poetic about our cars. Hopefully, they will be able to do the same. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
We'll see. Clearly, the new QP will be packing more power into a bigger package. Is that what people want? Does a Maserati limousine stir the same passions as the current edition QP - despite all its shortcomings. I'm curious to find out. For a new generation of owners who have no history with Maserati, it may not make any difference at all. That is until they stop by this forum and hear owner's like us waxing poetic about our cars. Hopefully, they will be able to do the same. ;)
That's what the Ghibli is supposed to do, isn't it? Replace the current QP as the sportier sedan in the Maserati range?

At the end of the day, Maserati needed a large sedan to play in their fastest growing markets (US, China) and that's where the new QP comes into play. Personally, I'd have preferred to see them retain the QP name for the small sedan for continuity's sake and use a different nameplate for the limo, but unfortunately that's not how things worked out.

I've sat in the new QP at NAIAS and it's a proper luxury sedan with usable rear seats and trunk. There's definitely a segment of more rational customers (your German car buyers) to whom the typical Italian car eccentricities will be a ding rather than a pull!

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
That's what the Ghibli is supposed to do, isn't it? Replace the current QP as the sportier sedan in the Maserati range?
I think that's the $100K question. I heard the Ghibli was going to be positioned against the BMW 5 series, not even against the Audi RS7 or BMW M 6 Series Gran Coupe. For me, as a current QP owner, that's a backward step. So those of us who don't want a massive limo or to move backwards to 5 series territory may be being lost as a customer segment to Maserati. We'll hang on to our QPs for a little and then look further afield.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think that's the $100K question. I heard the Ghibli was going to be positioned against the BMW 5 series, not even against the Audi RS7 or BMW M 6 Series Gran Coupe. For me, as a current QP owner, that's a backward step. So those of us who don't want a massive limo or to move backwards to 5 series territory may be being lost as a customer segment to Maserati. We'll hang on to our QPs for a little and then look further afield.
The Ghibli I reckon will be a E63/M5/RS6 fighter - it's going against the top models in the E-segment, not your average 528i or E350.

Would you still consider that a backward step? If so, why?

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
The Ghibli I reckon will be a E63/M5/RS6 fighter - it's going against the top models in the E-segment, not your average 528i or E350.

Would you still consider that a backward step? If so, why?
Are you kidding? Probably the same reason I am not in the M5 market right now. I would not think for even one second that the current QP is even in the same galaxy as the M5! The BMW Gran Coupe and Audi S7 have been specifically created for the style/aesthetic/avante-garde conscious in mind... and for people that appreciate owning something a little rarer, a little more special. Now if you compare these to the current QP, well even then, they are not in the same solar system...

Then there is the matter of shear physical presence... a significant part of the current QP's winning formula is its size and proportions. Along with that sublime styling, it creates a presence like few others. I'm not going to get that from an M5.

Lastly, but most importantly, it's because I say so... the QP is 100% emotional purchase. The Ghibli had better darn well tick those emotional boxes or I am walking... based on the 'less than' styling of the new QP... I am sceptical of the chances of that happening when Maserati are going after volume...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are you kidding? Probably the same reason I am not in the M5 market right now. I would not think for even one second that the current QP is even in the same galaxy as the M5! The BMW Gran Coupe and Audi S7 have been specifically created for the style/aesthetic/avante-garde conscious in mind... and for people that appreciate owning something a little rarer, a little more special. Now if you compare these to the current QP, well even then, they are not in the same solar system...

Then there is the matter of shear physical presence... a significant part of the current QP's winning formula is its size and proportions. Along with that sublime styling, it creates a presence like few others. I'm not going to get that from an M5.

Lastly, but most importantly, it's because I say so... the QP is 100% emotional purchase. The Ghibli had better darn well tick those emotional boxes or I am walking... based on the 'less than' styling of the new QP... I am sceptical of the chances of that happening when Maserati are going after volume...
mowlas,

I think you've just revealed the crux of this issue - the fulcrum on which this "see-saw" debate has teetered over the past year. This is really the clash of two worlds and car sensibilities. Maseratis, by their very nature and DNA appeal to an irrational need - a visceral attraction - an emotional response. It's not always easy to justify owning one of these cars because they don't always tick the traditional boxes. At the same time, everyone has a practical need for functional car that gets them from Point A to Point B. All of Maserati's announced plans for growing the company seem to be responding to the more practical needs of luxury car owners rather than the passionate emotions of Maserati enthusiasts and exotic car owners. That's not to suggest that Fiat/Maserati's plans are wrong-headed or misguided, but they seem to be catering to the more practical, business side of the equation and that's making some people restless. The fact that most rich Chinese owners may prefer to be driven around in a limousine may make perfect business sense, but what about that concept is consistent with Maserati's motoring heritage, its pedigree and the qualities that excite people about the brand. Maybe nothing. I think it's this inherent clash between our emotional and practical car needs that drives this discussion month after month.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
mowlas,

I think you've just revealed the crux of this issue - the fulcrum on which this "see-saw" debate has teetered over the past year. This is really the clash of two worlds and car sensibilities. Maseratis, by their very nature and DNA appeal to an irrational need - a visceral attraction - an emotional response. It's not always easy to justify owning one of these cars because they don't always tick the traditional boxes. At the same time, everyone has a practical need for functional car that gets them from Point A to Point B. All of Maserati's announced plans for growing the company seem to be responding to the more practical needs of luxury car owners rather than the passionate emotions of Maserati enthusiasts and exotic car owners. That's not to suggest that Fiat/Maserati's plans are wrong-headed or misguided, but they seem to be catering to the more practical, business side of the equation and that's making some people restless. The fact that most rich Chinese owners may prefer to be driven around in a limousine may make perfect business sense, but what about that concept is consistent with Maserati's motoring heritage, its pedigree and the qualities that excite people about the brand. Maybe nothing. I think it's this inherent clash between our emotional and practical car needs that drives this discussion month after month.
Couldn't have said it any better!

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Russarch, you have a nice way of crystallising the situation. To your point, Maserati have effectively entered two new segments by stealth by cashing in on two lines of heritage:

- QP goes from Luxury Sports Sedan to Limo
- Ghibli (discontinued) goes from Luxury Sport Coupe to Executive class saloon

... just when they had revived the marque in shape of the current QP and then the GT.

Fellas, let's not kid ourselves on what the E segment is about.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Several elements so far point to the fact that the Ghibli might actually be the QP replacement (the name QP being switched to a new model/limousine): same size, engines (big new V8 included), style (Michael Adler saw a few pictures and said it looked great).

If Fiat considers the current QP to be 5/E competitors, then we all know it's not accurate. Current QP is in a world of its own, it stirs emotions like few other cars.

I'm going to see the new 2014 QP tomorrow (invitation) and will ask questions about the Ghibli when I meet with the officials.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Several elements so far point to the fact that the Ghibli might actually be the QP replacement ...I'm going to see the new 2014 QP tomorrow (invitation) and will ask questions about the Ghibli when I meet with the officials.
Please let us know if you think the new 2014 QP is narrower than your M139, I think it is, but without a tape measure, its all speculation. I was told by the dealer that a larger QP "limo version" may come out in a couple of years. The new 2014 is definitely still a sport sedan, low and sleek, longer yes, with fuller trunk and fold down split rear seat, but in my estimation, narrower in the cab. Let us know your thoughts, maybe measure between door posts the interior width. If so, the Ghibli will be a true compact.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Please let us know if you think the new 2014 QP is narrower than your M139, I think it is, but without a tape measure, its all speculation. I was told by the dealer that a larger QP "limo version" may come out in a couple of years. The new 2014 is definitely still a sport sedan, low and sleek, longer yes, with fuller trunk and fold down split rear seat, but in my estimation, narrower in the cab. Let us know your thoughts, maybe measure between door posts the interior width. If so, the Ghibli will be a true compact.
I think if you look closely at this car, particularly some of the road test videos I saw, this is not the same QP in terms of its balance, handling and general sportcar stance. It doesn't appear to handle like a sport sedan. Now there are trade offs of course - it's quicker, faster and better appointed but we'll find out soon enough as people start to test this vehicle and have an opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good point, I agree, we are all anxious to drive the new QP. But I don't think it's the limo some have referred to. The rear seating is tight, with a poor fifth middle. And the generic tail or "rear fascia" does not evoke the elegance of a limo or any exotic for that matter. If the pricing is as I've been told, $99Kusd for the V-6, it may just be a homerun for Fiat.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Taking this thread back to it's original intent:

Dinner with a few friends lasting to about 10pm. Adjacent table was about a dozen+ of local "royalty" (the "in" crowd). The town's local billionaire, etc. After checking out, I went to the can. Done, out the door to the parking lot. The other table had left before me, and were standing around the car. I'm hearing comments like "OMG, it's a Maserati". "Who's is it?" I think I heard someone say they thought it might be mine. Walked up, was asked if I actually drive it much. Responded that I bought it for long distance road trips, which seemed to surprise them. Got in, 2 ladies on the passenger side and one on my side were pounding on the windows wanting rides. Now, mind you, I'm guessing their cars are likely worth 4 times as much. Politely declining, I started it and everybody jumped way back like they thought it was going to explode. (Sport GTS exhaust...) Drove off while they all just stood there.

Too funny.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts