Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think exotics have two main joy components. One is clearly performance. The other is that they make us feel special. They are special cars, after all.

Like it or not, if no one else thought they were special, we would have a diminished opinion of them, some more than others. Many of us would like to think otherwise, but psychologists have understood this phenomenon for quite some time now. Good thing too, since it brings some order to our society. There are already more than enough things we instinctively disagree on...like this post! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tomorrow when my wife and I go to the Ritz Carlton to see the new QP amd meet the Italian marketing director of Maserati, I shall be wearing one of my Maserati baseball caps and my Maserati watch. Hopefully when he sees that (and my QP) he will know I am serious and let me drive the car!
Andrea Soriani? Awesome guy to talk to; very funny and insightful. Try complaining about the Maserati brand losing its exclusivity due to higher sales targets and see what his response is.

Hint: you might want to do that after bagging your drive. ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nope, I really hate being treated differently because of my car's. When my son was in 10th grade I dropped him off in a 612 and his bio teacher saw it and started calling him "moneybags" ever since then I promised to myself I'd never be seen in one unless I'm out with people I know.
Good point. I think I may have had a sit down with the teacher after that remark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the reaction front... Walking out of a box store for a few items and wearing my Maserati baseball cap. The security guard checks my receipt and asks if I worked at Maserati since I was wearing the hat. I said, no, it meant I have one. He bursted out laughing and said have a great day and enjoy the ride home!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
On the reaction front... Walking out of a box store for a few items and wearing my Maserati baseball cap. The security guard checks my receipt and asks if I worked at Maserati since I was wearing the hat. I said, no, it meant I have one. He bursted out laughing and said have a great day and enjoy the ride home!
Lol, so security guy did not believe you drove one? Well, you know the truth!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess not. Perhaps it was because I was extremely casual. Anyway, its all about getting behind that wheel after you walked up to that beautiful car that makes it why you bought one!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess not. Perhaps it was because I was extremely casual. Anyway, its all about getting behind that wheel after you walked up to that beautiful car that makes it why you bought one!

Agreed, one can only love a car from behind the wheel.

D

·
Registered
723 Posts
My wife and I often eat at a couple of restaurants with outdoor seating, and I can usually park in a spot where I can see the car from our table, and it has become our dinner entertainment whenever we go out to eat .

It's so funny to see the different reactions to the car, from young to old, male and female . Many tilt their heads like a dog and until they get close enough to read the name and I can read their lips; "Ahhh, it's a Maserati!". Some take a complete walk around the car, many take pictures or videos, pose with it etc. It's really fun to watch.

The attention I get from people when I'm in the car has been great, not intrusive, always favorable. But I'm really not an attention hound, so sometimes I feel a bit uncomfortable when I pull into a parking lot and everyone is staring . That's why I love this scenario where we can watch people's reactions from afar .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My wife and I often eat at a couple of restaurants with outdoor seating, and I can usually park in a spot where I can see the car from our table, and it has become our dinner entertainment whenever we go out to eat .

It's so funny to see the different reactions to the car, from young to old, male and female . Many tilt their heads like a dog and until they get close enough to read the name and I can read their lips; "Ahhh, it's a Maserati!". Some take a complete walk around the car, many take pictures or videos, pose with it etc. It's really fun to watch.

The attention I get from people when I'm in the car has been great, not intrusive, always favorable. But I'm really not an attention hound, so sometimes I feel a bit uncomfortable when I pull into a parking lot and everyone is staring . That's why I love this scenario where we can watch people's reactions from afar .
Great story. I should try that with the Ferrari F355 when I get her...may not be as favorable reactions? Seems like people "hate" on people who drive/own Ferraris and Lambos...not sure why:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Great story. I should try that with the Ferrari F355 when I get her...may not be as favorable reactions? Seems like people "hate" on people who drive/own Ferraris and Lambos...not sure why:rolleyes:
I think Maserati does enjoy a nice place in the public conscious right now For the most part, the Maserati name is associated with a heritage of exotic european sports cars. The name sounds exotic, its sexy and Italian and people recognize it, although they may not even know what a Maserati looks like. The company's lower profile, as compared to brands such as Ferrari and Lamborghini, allows it to avoid the negative feelings that some people have to those brands. I think most people associate the brand with quality, luxury, performance, excitement and a little mystery without being over the top or in-your-face. I think car enthusiasts look at Maserati and appreciate it for all those reasons and others.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nicely put russarch

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think Maserati does enjoy a nice place in the public conscious right now For the most part, the Maserati name is associated with a heritage of exotic european sports cars. The name sounds exotic, its sexy and Italian and people recognize it, although they may not even know what a Maserati looks like. The company's lower profile, as compared to brands such as Ferrari and Lamborghini, allows it to avoid the negative feelings that some people have to those brands. I think most people associate the brand with quality, luxury, performance, excitement and a little mystery without being over the top or in-your-face. I think car enthusiasts look at Maserati and appreciate it for all those reasons and others.
+1 Agreed :cheers:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The attention I get from people when I'm in the car has been great, not intrusive, always favorable.
That's my experience too. People were always enthusiastic when they saw QP and mentioned the name. It's an asset for the brand.

Exactly :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Very well put-I think you have it absolutely right!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had some friends over and eventually we ended up in the garage to stare at my cars. One guy who already had been for a ride in my Ferrari F355, was checking out the '67 Alfa Spider when he suddenly noticed the QP and just about lost his damn mind. He pointed at the badge on the hood and exclaimed, "Rick...this is a Maserati!!!! This is incredible. I want to go for a ride in this car." Later he said, "It is for sure my favorite of your cars". PS All of their wives definitely dug the QP too. Chicks dig this car and can't resist getting in to check it out.

:)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think that says it all. Maserati is just a cool brand right now. Who knows how long that lasts, but people really dig the cars. However, I've noticed that some people that value performance above everything else will often pan the cars because they can't do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, but you'll never appeal to those guys. They don't understand the brand and maybe that's okay.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
some people that value performance above everything else will often pan the cars because they can't do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, but you'll never appeal to those guys. They don't understand the brand and maybe that's okay.
More true words spoken Russarch :)

On top of that, most folks who have any sense of history of cars, tend to hold a special affection for Maserati. It's amazing the impression the brand leaves in generations even when memory of facts and figures have faded...

And as for native Italians... well I am convinced Maserati must be some part of their school curriculum because they all 'get it'. I remember driving the QP around northern Italy and, my, what a lovely sense of joy and appreciation was shared.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yes!! I was talking to an older Italian gentleman at about his Maserati 200SI. You could hear the emotion in his voice, especially when he recounted the moment when he realized that he'd won the auction and had the pleasure of paying a couple $M for the shiny silver beast with all of its battle scars. He got a bit choked up recollecting, and apparently cried at the auction! It was all about the history for him, childhood memories, etc. He certainly did "get it".

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can tell you that the brand has lots of positive vibes here in the mother country :thumbsup:
And not to confuse this thread, but these are the qualities of Maserati I think of when I look at the new QP and wonder if that's the right direction for the company. Is that the sort of car that's consistent with Maserati heritage or does that take it in a new direction. While it doesn't have to be consistent with its past, we all value and appreciate that on some level (some more than others). And you can lump that in with the issue of increased production volumes, the addition of an SUV, etc. All these things are going to happen and we'll see what the results are in the end. However, while the sentiments shared on this thread are pretty esoteric and only exist in people's minds, they create a real bond between the cars, their owners, and to some degree, popular culture. Maserati will have to deftly thread the needle in order to avoid damaging that bond, while creating new ones with the next generation of owners.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts