Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just released "Maserati Monthly" indicates price of new GT comparable to well appointed BMW M5 (approx.$100K).
This seems to go along with Maserati site, mentioning base price of $103K when unveiled at Geneva Show.
Can only imagine what options will add on. Probably only aesthetic additions since there is only one engine and auto. transmission.
May be a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
most manufacturers price the coupes higher than their sedan equivalent.
6er > 5er, CL > S, etc etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Production starting Sept. '07. Deliveries start Jan.'08.
They're taking orders already, without knowing price.
It appears car will be $115K plus not too many options.
As mentioned in a previous post of mine, expect to see value of all 4200's
plummet even more than one sees now. (dealer agrees)
They may be more excitng to drive, but, they"re not the "current flavor of the month". That's just the way the auto market works.
And later, this new model wil pass into auto. oblivion.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Production starting Sept. '07. Deliveries start Jan.'08.
They're taking orders already, without knowing price.
It appears car will be $115K plus not too many options.
As mentioned in a previous post of mine, expect to see value of all 4200's
plummet even more than one sees now. (dealer agrees)
They may be more excitng to drive, but, they"re not the "current flavor of the month". That's just the way the auto market works.
And later, this new model wil pass into auto. oblivion.
i still have to disagree that the value of ALL 4200's to plummet EVEN MORE.
current asking prices of 02 spyders are around $49k.

to "plummet", oh, let say 20% of the current value, that means may be the average asking prices of 02 spyders would drop to $39k next year this time? i have to disagree.

if a bunch of giugiaro coupe/spyder/gs owners start dumping their cars for the pininfarina coupe, i can see the value of them going down dramatically.

these guys don't like the new GT as already demonstrated on this board.
and why would they put in another $50k to trade up to a GT with almost equivalent performance?

let's check back in a year. i expect to see a steady decline.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I see bright future for the old Coupe

I agree, the old Coupe should maintain a normal rate of depreciation may be even less.

Factor 1) supply is not growing (old Coupe is not made any more)

Factor 2) Like M! said, owners of old Coupe are unlike to trade up until there is a substantial improvement over their old cars. Again, limiting the supply

Factor 3) People in the used car market looking for old coupe is not going to switch to the new GT, because there is such a big price gap, also these two are totally different cars. This will keep the demand high.

Factor 4) Now Maserati getting a lot of press attention, will only help the used coupe market as brand awareness grows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, the old Coupe should maintain a normal rate of depreciation may be even less.

Factor 1) supply is not growing (old Coupe is not made any more)

Factor 2) Like M! said, owners of old Coupe are unlike to trade up until there is a substantial improvement over their old cars. Again, limiting the supply

Factor 3) People in the used car market looking for old coupe is not going to switch to the new GT, because there is such a big price gap, also these two are totally different cars. This will keep the demand high.

Factor 4) Now Maserati getting a lot of press attention, will only help the used coupe market as brand awareness grows.

I hope you're right,because when I trade in my '05 Spyder for the new GT,next year, I would like it to hold its value.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's funny how I didn't see the value of my 98 Viper plummet with the introduction of the new body style. Because so many people like the original body style, demand went up. I also checked to see what the new 2004 body style did to 2003 BMW E39 prices. I couldn't see any obvious drop because of the new style. The 2003 540i is holding its own even now (mid $30's with 50k miles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts