Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

fist time poster. finalzing purchase of a 2014 GT MC line; very excited. The car has been in the NE and doesnt have sticky buttons ..... yet. I live in FL and intend to use it regularly which means that it will be parked all day in the sun. Other then getting a good quality sunshade, is there anything else I can do to prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
895 Posts
Send a Pic of your car please. Want to see it..... where in the N.E. was it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You are onto the cause afaik. Throw a towel over dash to prevent sunlight. Its heat, oxidation or both. Avoid cleaning fluids. I have experienced that in the house on certain things

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello everyone

fist time poster. finalzing purchase of a 2014 GT MC line; very excited. The car has been in the NE and doesnt have sticky buttons ..... yet. I live in FL and intend to use it regularly which means that it will be parked all day in the sun. Other then getting a good quality sunshade, is there anything else I can do to prevent that from happening?
A sunscreen won't help. I live in SW Florida and bought my 2012 new. It's a garage queen and has never sat in the sun (but the garage has no AC). Heat is the enemy here but not the UV from the sun. Anyway, shortly after the 4 year warranty ran out the "stickies" set in. To this day I'm still fighting them. (Just removed and refinished my shifter console.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A sunscreen won't help. I live in SW Florida and bought my 2012 new. It's a garage queen and has never sat in the sun (but the garage has no AC). Heat is the enemy here but not the UV from the sun. Anyway, shortly after the 4 year warranty ran out the "stickies" set in. To this day I'm still fighting them. (Just removed and refinished my shifter console.)
so basically there is not much I can do.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Has anyone ceramic coated one of those surfaces to see if that helps slow down the process?

I also feel like it’s largely areas that get touched that are the worse. So my thinking is if they are coated and protected from oils/sweat on our hands they won’t oxidize as badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
322 Posts
It's funny how that happens and I have a matte finish helmet that just sat in my room with no light and moderate temperature and it turned sticky. Took some elbow grease to rub it all clean with rubbing alcohol. Went too far and put a shiny spot on top, oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
For any plastics , fiberglass or rubber , I have found 303 Protectant ( aka “ formula 303 aerospace protectant “ ) to offer extraordinary protection and longevity. Incredible sun / UV protection, it conditions enhances and maintains the luster of any plastic or rubber materials to which you apply it, so I can’t say enough good things about it . I’ve been using it for as long as I can remember on a million and one things . But it’s not really a cleaner; it will clean a little of course, but that’s not its purpose. And yet, I’m hesitant to put it on the Maserati buttons out of fear ( based on all the horror stories I read here ) that those buttons are made of that one weird material which will interact adversely with the solution, and expedite the sticky syndrome instead of preventing it . My buttons look brand new that’s why I haven’t done anything to them except dusting, but I may just treat them with 303 one of these days if they look like they’re starting to fade or build any residue on them .

·
Registered
492 Posts
so basically there is not much I can do.....
Dave Rocks(who used to be a sponsor here) can refinish your interior so stickies won't recur . (He does a great job.) But, you have to remove and send the affected pieces to Dave, which can be a pain. The alternative is for you to do it. Try 92% alcohol and a lot of rubbing. Please note that all the surfaces are not created equal and some of the lettering might be removed from the buttons if you're not careful.

·
Registered
2014 GT S Rosso Trionfale
155 Posts
i have a 2014 and last year i did ceramic coating on all the surfaces except the vents with the clock as the vent was broken and clock not working so replacement was in order and was replaced and then coated,this year i removed the clock to install the new radio and ran across the old vent guess what sticky vent for the old clock vent. the other parts that were treated in car are not sticky. as i'm reading this tonight i was outside today and re coated the whole inside again this year and yes my car lives outside so it looks like ceramic will help slow the sticky's down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard from a vendor in AZ the sticky syndrome is due to humidity, he said the cars out there don't seem to have the problem at all. My GT was bought used from NJ, but when I brought it to SC things got real bad, and it's not driven much and is always stored in the garage, so it wasn't do to the sun. I'd do everything possible to fight the humidity, if a conditioned garage isn't possible I'd at least put a tub of moisture absorber like Damprid inside, it's certainly cheap enough and can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Humidity is a killer. Anyone here with leather steering wheels ( maybe not on brand new cars but some that have aged four or five years ) know that on prolonged rainy days when you get in your car that leather feels stickier. And in humid climates it deteriorates much quicker than in direr climates. I can attest to that personally, after living in Cleveland for a decade and then moving to California. The interior condition deterioration of the cars , all else being equal, is a night a day difference ..can’t attribute it to anything other than climate extremes. I’m confident heat also contributes to the sticky buttons, but IMO not as much as humidity does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone

If this is a problem with pretty much all Maseratis why doesn’t Maserati do something about it. I smell a class action suit

·
Registered
35 Posts
[QUOTE="If this is a problem with pretty much all Maseratis why doesn’t Maserati do something about it"

I have to agree with you; I have spent a lot of money and time addressing sticky interior trim issues in my 2002 car and I am still not done. How is it that "big" Maserati has apparently done nothing to improve the durability of interior cabin plastics? They have had over a decade to address this issue; I'm disappointed to hear that owners of much newer cars than mine are still having problems with this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
[QUOTE="If this is a problem with pretty much all Maseratis why doesn’t Maserati do something about it"

I have to agree with you; I have spent a lot of money and time addressing sticky interior trim issues in my 2002 car and I am still not done. How is it that "big" Maserati has apparently done nothing to improve the durability of interior cabin plastics? They have had over a decade to address this issue; I'm disappointed to hear that owners of much newer cars than mine are still having problems with this.
Its not just Maserati. All Italian cars have this problem. My Ferrari 360 was really bad. Luckily my 15 GT is only showing a few signs that I have been able to clean as they arise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts