Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been a Maserati owner for a little over a year now and have owned 2 cars (first the 04 Coupe and now the 05 Quattroporte). But after reading from this site I realized that there's so many things I didn't know about maintaining the car. I also didn't realize that replacing the clutch could be so costly. So I was hoping that you can help me with a few questions.

I read that putting the car on reverse too much may wear down the clutch. So I was wondering, since my driveway is slightly inclined, is it a better idea to put it in neutral and just let it roll down slowly? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Second, when you stop at a red light is it helpful to keep the car in neutral or is it fine to just leave it in first?

And lastly, I was just wondering when is the appropriate rpm to downshift the car? Now, I usually drive it in the Manual Sport mode and upshift at about 4000 rpm. But I don't have an idea when's a good time to downshift. I usually just follow my instinct and downshift when the traffic is slowing down.

Sorry if some of these may sound like silly questions but I've never owned an F1 gearbox car before and I'm eager to learn since I love Maserati.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
There are loads of threads about clutch life, have a quick search :)

I generally let the computer do the downshifting, as it times it very well on my GS.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I read that putting the car on reverse too much may wear down the clutch. So I was wondering, since my driveway is slightly inclined, is it a better idea to put it in neutral and just let it roll down slowly? Does it really make that much of a difference?
It helps.

Second, when you stop at a red light is it helpful to keep the car in neutral or is it fine to just leave it in first?
Just like you would do with a manual, keep it in neutral.

And lastly, I was just wondering when is the appropriate rpm to downshift the car? Now, I usually drive it in the Manual Sport mode and upshift at about 4000 rpm. But I don't have an idea when's a good time to downshift. I usually just follow my instinct and downshift when the traffic is slowing down.
I don't know the rpm, but you will notice that at a certain rpm the downshift is smoother, meaning less friction. But when coming to a dead stop it's a good idea to shift to neutral and use just breaks. Break pads are cheap.

There's a learnig curve with the F1 transmission, but when you think, those are good habits to have with a manual transmission as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
avoid reversing up any incline to help save the clutch. clutch suffers in busy urban traffic conditions regardless and seems to wear well enough for those in the suburbs.

i also normally let the car downshift for me.

Stuart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.