Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Stay with what is recommended.

If 93 you will gain -0- to go lower.

If you are lucky enough to have 93 in your area, go for it!

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Using gas with an octane rating lower than that recommended by the manufacturer could damage your engine.

High compression, performance engines such as those fitted to Maseratis need higher octane gas to avoid pre-detonation (a.k.a. "knocking").

If you use lower octane gas, then pre-detonation can occur. Modern engines use sensors (i.e. specialized microphones) to detect pre-detonation and they retard the ignition timing to compensate. You get less efficiency (and hence less power), but you minimize the potential for damage.

However, actual pre-detonation has to occur for the system to detect the lower octane gas and then dial back the ignition timing. And if for some reason there was ever a failure in detecting the pre-detonation, you could quickly do something nasty like putting holes in your pistons.

Karl.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
93 Octane...

Shell VPower is the only way to go. Why put gas that has alcohol in your car, VPower is pure gas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
...for some cars this really doesnt matter, however for ANY Maserati I would use nothing less than 91. I've always been told for these cars to use 93 although I realize its not as availble in some areas. The higher the octane the better. I would absolutely not advise ever using 87. If you can afford to drive a Maserati you should be able to afford putting the extra $.20 of gas in. Not to mention the damages you could incur by using 87 far exceed the money youre going to save using regular vs. premium.

Although I must admit I've ran 87 in my Porsche Boxster and can not tell any different performance wise than when I use 91 or 93. Although the engines greatly differ in these 2 cars, premium is recommended for the Porsches and I've gotten away with using less. But please save yourself the trouble with your Maserati and use Premium!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gene - the price diff between a tank of regular vs premium is the cost of a Starbucks coffee. Really, it's a Maserati for goodness sake.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha... I know B Cube.

I just know that for my Lexus - it says 93 - but when the gas prices skyrocketed - I started doing the 87 octane thing.

But I understand the diffferent between a Lexus and Mas...

·
Registered
240 Posts
in az there is only 91. how much is 91 different then 93?

it is only 20 cents more. A bit of math :)
assume you put in 12 gallons a week of premium in your car a week
12x52 weeks = 624 gallons annually
624 gallons x .20 (premium is only 20 cents more)
annual cost of of $125 (about $10 a month extra)

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Shell VPower is the only way to go. Why put gas that has alcohol in your car, VPower is pure gas.
Sunoco 93 - Nascar, 5% off w/ Sunoco card, buys the least amount of mid-east oil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In my area, the Shell pumps have signs that say, "Contains 10% ethanol". Not pure gas.

Use 93. 87 will cause knock sensors to retard timing, reducing fuel efficiency and negating perceived cost savings. Besides, it'll run like crap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the San Francisco Bay Area, does anyone know what brands have the least amount of Middle-Eastern oil and ethanol?

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to some consumer report, you'll gain some additional power but not that significant for engine size larger than 2.0 L, make some difference at the kick-off time. However, another +ive point is that it'll have less accumulated engine deposits and hence you might have a cleaner engine in longer term. Of course it costs something, it's about 10% extra here in Hong Kong but it's 95+ as advertised :D. Quite expensive to fuel up a 90 litres tank, over HK$1,500 or US$200 :mad:.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts
Octane ratings...

I've always thought we are at the mercy of the fuel companies on this. Kiwiland has 3 fuels available. 89, 95 and 98. But 98 is only available from BP. Maser Australasia reccommend 98. Who am I to argue. Stick in anything less than 98 and she throws a code and enters limp mode only to realise it's not so bad and leaves limp mode. Code stays leaving behind a general feeling of discontent (mostly in me). Alfa recommend (last time I heard) not .to use ethanol enriched fuels as there is a possible issue with dissolving plastic/rubber things like seals.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave...

Mr. New Zealand.

98 is no where to be found in the States.

But I'd love to see my Mas run on it.

I'm convinced, 93 (or 92 at the very least) is what I should use.

Gene

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts

Hi Gene
98 is great gas. Certainly doesn't cause Bella any trouble. Drove home through the Kaikoura twisties last night in this http://www.stuff.co.nz/4636468a11.html and she didn't miss a beat. Have discovered that aquaplaning at 180kph is as disturbing as anything I've ever done before. Interstingly, I rounded a tight bend to find rocks on the road. Average sized ones - rugby ball size. A bit of fast manoeuvering (there's far too many vowels in that word) and a go straight over one - must have just missed the splitter. Felt and heard a hefty impact (hell, in a Maserati anything bigger that a blowfly causes a cringe) and inspected underneath when I was safely home in the garage. Could see nothing. The perforated undertray didn't have a mark on it. Me sooo happy!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dave...

Mr. New Zealand.

98 is no where to be found in the States.

But I'd love to see my Mas run on it.

I'm convinced, 93 (or 92 at the very least) is what I should use.

Gene
the US and New Zealand use a different rating system. The 98 in NZ is the equivalent of our premium.

Eric

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Dave.

Only one State here where you can go that fast - Montana.

One of my friends drives for NASCAR (Sprint Cup - the top).

I'd love to take him there and let me sit in the passenger seat a little bit.

Gene

1 - 20 of 39 Posts