Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am leaving on a 4 week vacation, what precautions should i take regarding the GS?
- Do i need to disconnect the battery or would it suffice if i just turn off the battery switch in the trunk?
- Would it be much better if i ask a friend a drive it around, once a week?

anything else, i should be thinking about?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Put it on a battery tender charger or disconnect your battery if you don't mind losing radio stations and other memories and clock setting.

Or I can come over and driver your GS for you for the next 4 weeks :D if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I don't see why 4 weeks of no use would have any effect on the car. Maybe 4 months would be a problem for the battery, but 4 weeks in negligible (unless your battery is ready to die anyway).

It would be more important to park the car on something soft, so that the tires don't deform, or have someone change its parking once a week.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
MG, you better not take any chances, let PKGS drive your car! ;)

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
MG,

Switch off the battery in the rear, no need to disconnect. You will lose your preferences and you may need to put your radio code back in if you do. However this is the best way to store it.

If possible run it out of fuel or at least run it down if you can mostly so you don't have sitting fuel going stale.

You're going to flat spot your tires a bit because all the weight will be on the tire in one place for so long. You may also lose a bit of tire pressure.

When you get back fill the tires with air and you'll feel a bit of shimmy while the tires reconform. No permanent damage though.

That's should be all you need for only 4 weeks.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2004 coupe and have stored it during the winter in New England for four years running. I store the car in a public storage garage and plug the car into the light bulb holder with a trickle charger attached to the battery. I close, but not latch the trunk with the trickle charger cord sticking out. The trunk light goes off after a couple of minutes. Therefore, I have never disconnected the battery. The car is moved every couple of weeks and when I get dry roads in the winter I take the car out for a spin. The Maser starts up right away every time and I have never experienced a problem.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
My only hesitation in offering the advise similar to James is that I don't like to leave a charger, even a trickle charger, unattended for so long.

It should be just fine, however I can be a bit paranoid about these things...

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If possible run it out of fuel or at least run it down if you can mostly so you don't have sitting fuel going stale.
-- Jeff
Jeff, I thought it's best to leave a full tank of gas as during the winter, if the car is not in use for a prolonged time, there may be moisture forming inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts