Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleven months ago I took the 2002 Coupe Cambiocorsa back to it's homeland on a 4K mile trip around Europe. One of the two "minor annoyances" I suffered was a leak in the power steering.
On my return to the UK I had the car repaired at the local dealer (took weeks to order-in the "hose coupling" needed to fix it - so they told me).

Today I am driving along and I see smoke rising from engine compartment (initial horror!!). I pull over and find:
- smoke is from power steering fluid sprayed over engine compartment
- braided hose and metal pipe at the front of the engine bay are lying down against the pulley at the front of the engine compartment
- evidently the hose has been worn through and the power steering fluid has escaped
- the nut/bolt which usually holds the hose up in a safe place on a small bracket - well the bolt is still there but the nut has disappeared, and hence the hose has fallen down

I wait hours for a tow home. I am not delighted with the "service" I appear to have received.

Any thoughts on an appropriate approach to the dealer on their work? I mean is this "common" on other cars?

Oh - you might want to do quick check on your own car (it is about the only mechanical extra you can see in the engine compartment when you pop the hood/bonnet on these cars ) in case the nut is loose on yours!

You pay a fortune for dealer work - and then this! I am not happy...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone else seen this happen to their car?

I am "advised" by my dealer that it is a "known problem" that the power steering hose at the front of the engine bay comes loose and damages itself... I just thought I would ask owners on this forum if they have experienced this (and do remember to check next time you pop the hood/bonnet!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the headsup

As an owner of a 2002 Spyder I really appreciate this information. I'm heading out to check mine as soon as I finish here. Thanks again. This is a prime reason for belonging to a forum such as this.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Leak....

I have just noticed a small leak on the drivers side of the car, doesn't happen when it's running but after I stop the car it leaks a little bit and it's definately oil of some type, not sure if it's engine oil or power steering fluid but will find out tonight when I put a can under the car to catch some of it... I will also check the power steering pump connections to make sure it's not leaking there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a similar small drip that happens after the car sits for a week except it is on the passenger side infront of the front tire...and I cannot figure out where it is coming from

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering box replaced

I just had the steering rack/box replaced on my 2006 Coupe GT during the 6K service after I noticed a small power steering fluid leak. Reeves in Tampa FL did a great job - feels exactly like new.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
why?

why would they replace the whole unit?

Mine actually leaks after sitting for about a week as well.. Will look more tomorrow as i had christmas decoration duty tonight.

·
Registered
660 Posts
why would they replace the whole unit?

Mine actually leaks after sitting for about a week as well.. Will look more tomorrow as i had christmas decoration duty tonight.
It is a known issue. Gaitors do break easily and that makes the fluid escape. In addition, one of the gaskets in the power steering unit seems to break quite easily (thus leading to a tiny fluid leak...) which maybe originates in a design flaw.

One of the first things I did when pre-inspecting my GS was to ask to be put on the lift... only 4.5K miles and a year old. Farside gaitor was... broken..!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is a known issue. Gaitors do break easily and that makes the fluid escape. In addition, one of the gaskets in the power steering unit seems to break quite easily (thus leading to a tiny fluid leak...) which maybe originates in a design flaw.

One of the first things I did when pre-inspecting my GS was to ask to be put on the lift... only 4.5K miles and a year old. Farside gaitor was... broken..!
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "Gaitor?"

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a similar small drip that happens after the car sits for a week except it is on the passenger side infront of the front tire...and I cannot figure out where it is coming from
The engine oil tank is located forward of the front passenger tire. You might have a small leak from that area.

Normally, leaks from the steering rack/ boots are just inboard of the front tires.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Gaitor..

Well my gaitors look to be fine, I think it's a loose fitting on the steering box itself, will have a better look tonight when I get home as well as I put a white plastic sheet down so I can catch the fluid and determine where and exactly what it is before I go further....

·
Registered
173 Posts
A few months ago, power steering hose to the heat exchanger came loose and my car lost all the fluid. At first I could not find what happened and kind of panic a bit. Fortunately, I found out that the clamp came loose. I just put the hose back and tighten it. If you experience sudden lost of all fluid, check that the hose come loose or not.
Btw, my power steering rack(at the boot) is leaking also. It will cost about $800 to rebuilt. I'd better buy new one from Eurospare.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Finally had a chance to check it out...

I put the car up on the ramps, took out the trouble light and did a little digging. So it ends up that the hose clamp on the bottom hose to the power steering pump was lose.. Lose enough that when I put the screw driver on it I could turn it with ease.. So I start scoping things out and notice that the power steering fluid has been leaking down the power steering pump, to the top of the air conditioner and then dripping off the bottom bolt on the air conditioner onto the tray I put under the car...

So I wipe off all the grease on both the power steering pump and the air conditioner, then start tightening the hose clamp, it gives way so I replaced it and then tightened up the new one tight using my socket instead of the screw driver, not too tight but good and snug like it should be.... So I took out the bolt on the bottom of the air conditioner mount and the bolt itself was soaked in power steering fluid about half way up, which tells me it's been seeping down the back of the air conditioner from the power steering pump... Anyway I clean it up, put a little lock tite on it and re-installed up to spec....

I haven't checked it for leaks yet, ran out of time, so I will update you guys later but I am pretty sure that's where it is.. I am also going to pressure wash the bottom of the car to get all the grime out of there before I test it out, that way it's easier to work on and easier to see where anything is coming from....

Steering box all checked out okay, no oil or grime on it and the drip was definately not there.. Ed, those gaitors could be a lot higher quality for sure, something more like Toyota's which is not rubber by Nylon..

So with 6 inches of snow on the ground here it will be a little while before I drive it again but I will back it out of the garage and let it run up to temp and see how things are here sometime this week...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put the car up on the ramps, took out the trouble light and did a little digging. So it ends up that the hose clamp on the bottom hose to the power steering pump was lose.. Lose enough that when I put the screw driver on it I could turn it with ease.. So I start scoping things out and notice that the power steering fluid has been leaking down the power steering pump, to the top of the air conditioner and then dripping off the bottom bolt on the air conditioner onto the tray I put under the car...

So I wipe off all the grease on both the power steering pump and the air conditioner, then start tightening the hose clamp, it gives way so I replaced it and then tightened up the new one tight using my socket instead of the screw driver, not too tight but good and snug like it should be.... So I took out the bolt on the bottom of the air conditioner mount and the bolt itself was soaked in power steering fluid about half way up, which tells me it's been seeping down the back of the air conditioner from the power steering pump... Anyway I clean it up, put a little lock tite on it and re-installed up to spec....
Thanks for the detailed report. I'm going to a take a look at mine fittings this weekend. I've been noticing a few drops of power steering fluid on the ground every so often and want to get this problem taken care of before it gets worse. When you do get a chance to follow-up, post the details here.

Best -

Bill

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am really surprised that Maserati...

used neoprene hose and hose clamps instead of braided lines and fittings for these connections.... It works okay as it is but I can see a lot of problem when the hose clamps loosen and considering the pressure and heat the system is under, it's just a bad design... I should know this weekend if everything is holding up...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's fixed!!!

So tightening up the hoses worked, for extra insurance I used an old trick from my marine mechanic days that we used to do for race boats power steering. I went over to checker, bought a small tube of Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak, took about 2 ounces of Power Steering Fluid out of the car and put in 2 ounces of Lucas. Anyway, no leaks at all again!

BTW, we used to use the Lucas product because we had boats turning 8 to 10k RPM, big block Chevy's and the Mercruiser power steering pumps for the Alpha One Outdrives would eat seals at that RPM but with the Lucas in there we could go several races instead of half a race...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
picts...

Just because you asked the next time I am under the car I will get detailed photos and post themhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts