Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Biturbo Series 2 cars, Right hand drive, 2.5 litre, two coupes ('86 and '87) and an '87 Spider - this last just acquired. I love these cars. I now have a curious problem with two of them and I am hoping someone here has the solution.

The steering racks on the '86 Coupe and the spider were overhauled by two different power steering shops. Both were refitted with new mounting bushes and new tie rod ends and do not move at all in their mountings. Yet, neither one now wants to go in a straight line. The power assistance keeps coming in so the car wants to go right or left while I am trying to go straight! It is incredibly disconcerting. I end up having to move the wheel a lot like in a fifties movie and must look like DUI from outside. Both racks have been back to the overhaulers, who have "fixed" them, but the symptom remains - and I am tired of taking them out and refitting them.

Clearly there is some adjustment to the hydraulics that is incorrect, or perhaps the assembly is incorrect. None of my manuals have an exploded view of the units and I do not know what other cars used them. I imagine if someone has expertise in these racks the fix is simple..... Anyone?:|

·
Registered
175 Posts
Apologies if this is a dumb question but was the front end aligned after the rebuilt steering racks went in? My Biturbo has manual steering but I found the front toe spec in the shop manual produced an effect much like you describe. We adjusted the toe inward by ~2mm and the car tracks much better. The problem hasn't completely gone away but I left well enough alone to save the tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bski for a constructive reply. Yes, I have had the alignment redone a few times, but always to book specs. I will try your suggestion and see where it gets me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 87 spyder steering just plain sucks. I am used to moreasy steering like my sons 1992 BMW E30. Granted I have a big wood steering wheel but the steering just is bad. Again, comparing it to a BMW steering but that is in a different class all in its own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BiTurbo Steering

Well, I suppose the benefit of having acquired a few of these cars, including one set up by Bill McGrath Motors in England, is that you can tell what is bad set up from something inherent in the car itself. My gold '86 Biturbo coupe, set up by Bill McGrath, is a delightful little car. It is quick, torquey, reliable, surefooted and a real pleasure to drive, I love it. Get into my '87 coupe or my '87 Spyder, and neither will steer properly and the coupe could not pull the skin off a rice pudding! My mission is to get these two to be like the '86....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it has been awhile since I visited this forum. Still enjoying Maserati BiTurbos and have added a 2.8 litre Spyder. On the steering issue I was questioning in this thread I never did get an answer or solution but have bought NOS steering rack complete and just fitted it - hopefully problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts