Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of nowhere I am all of a sudden getting no power when I hit the gas! Everything seems fine from idle, power is okay from a stop, but as the engine rpm goes up past about 3000 in any gear, it stops accelerating and then creeps only to about 4000 and won't go any higher. No CEL light or anything odd from the instruments.

Anyone seen anything like this before? It feels like a Chevette once I get past 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the same problem with the DBWEM upgrade. The plugs come loose and loose contact so the module goes into limp mode. Turn the car off, re-seat all the plugs and try again. If it keeps happening, call Jeff @ Formula Dynamics.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Check all connections then turn off battery switch, let sit for 10 minutes or so.This will get it out of limp mode.
Note: A quick on/off of the battery is NOT enough to reset.

Kent - I think your right and the issue we had getting mine out of limp mode is not keeping the power off long enough. I think 5-10 minutes is needed for all the power to 'drain' from the system and let the ECU fully reset - as soon as I left the shop, I was out of limp mode. It seems to happen whenever a significant issue 'confuses' the ECU. 1. When I changed the exhaust and 2. when we disconnected the DBW and then reconnected it 2 minutes later. The ECU probably didn't have time to know what parameters to use.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Needed new DBWEM

sechack you were right. I also have Formula Dynamics DBWEM (did I forget to mention that?) and tried bypassing it the next morning and everything was back to normal.

Jeff sent me one out by overnight mail the same day so I was up and running Saturday for the Woodward Dream Cruise - 1 million spectators and 40,000 intersting cars, including lots of Ferrari's and Lambos, but only one Maserati I saw - mine!

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Limp Mode...

quote: "How do you know if you are in "limp mode"? What does it do to the car?"

Answer: Ali, it's also called valet mode.. The car will not go over 4000rpm no matter what. You have good low end take off but then the timing retards and the fuel is cut back and you can't get over 4k rpm.... You usually end up with P1149 and P1189 codes being thrown if you are not using the valet key which is a sensor out of range error.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts