Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this board and wanted to get some opinions from seasoned Maserati owners. I'm interested in purchasing 02 Cambriocorsa with less than 10k on the odometer. The annual service was completed last month and new tires put in as well. The owner told me he was having problems with the transmission about two years ago, and since the car was still under warranty the transmission was replaced and runs fine. His warranty was extended another year so this car is covered until 2008. Asking price is a little over $40k so I wanted to know if is a good buy and what potential pitfalls I could face. Any comments/opinions is greatly appreciated and I hope to join the Maserati community soon. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good for you, if you love cars you will love the Maserti!

I have an 05 QP for about 2 years now - nothing but joy.

A couple of things I would double check and get in writing, not only from the seller, but from Maserati NA:

- Extended Warranty ? I haven't heard of that - yet. Get it in writing from Maserati NA and you will be fine, rely on verbal and you might be surprised.

- I haven't heard of Maserati changing a transmission under warranty. I would have the work checked, if you have documentation (service invoice, ...) you should be fine

One thing would be of concern to me, but can easily be remedied with a good pre-purchase inspection by a Maserati Service Center:

- Only 10 K miles? Those cars ought to be driven not kept sitting in the Garage. I drive mine about 12 - 15 K miles a year and thus no problems. My service adviser tells me that most Maserati develop problems sitting in garages or being driven by "little old ladies" babying the cars around. With Masratils, just like with Ferraris, - drive them like you mean it. Those cars are built for that!

If all checks out it sounds like a hell of a car. I am not the authority when it comes to the asking price though. Ebay is a good reference for that. Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
237 Posts
agree 100% with above.

Get a PPI for sure.
I suspect it is near to it's basement depreciation and you should do well with holding value for several years to come. The new GT is going to bring an enormous amount of attention to Maserati, and will probably develop interest in the Maserati secondary markets.
Good luck.
Post pix when done.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't speak to the CC, but I have an 02 Coupe GT (6-speed) with 16K miles and abolutely no issues - so far.
But as previously stated - have a PPI performed - before you buy.
The previous owner should provide all documentation to support
any claims..... a new trans, etc.

Pound for pound, and dollar for dollar - the Maserati is a whole lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A couple of things I would double check and get in writing, not only from the seller, but from Maserati NA:

- Extended Warranty ? I haven't heard of that - yet. Get it in writing from Maserati NA and you will be fine, rely on verbal and you might be surprised.

- I haven't heard of Maserati changing a transmission under warranty. I would have the work checked, if you have documentation (service invoice, ...) you should be fine
My clutch was replaced under warranty. It was suffering from "premature slippage" (I posted about it months ago) at around 7k miles. I have also never heard of extended warranties on these cars so I would check with MNA. The price seems about right for a '02 with those miles (low 40's).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Changed transmission Hmmmm!!!
I definately don't believe that any mechanical component failed, 'cause they are really bulletproof!
So the most common failure is the F1 pump, together with the clutch.
If the clutch failed and in my opinion is a bit early for that (plus it was covered under warranty), you should definately chech the F1 pump.
Sometimes this is the reason for premature slipping.
If you got only a new clutch, check out the % of clutch wear (it can be performed via the OBD2 bus) and if it is over 20-25% think again.
have the F1 pump changed under warranty cause if you don't you may need clutches more often that you will need gas.
And one more thing....
All of the above comes from my experience, all reflect my point of view.
They are not the rule. Anyway it is worth to check it out. Nothing to lose
Regards
PaNoS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your comments. This has been very helpful in my process of hopefully becoming a proud owner. I've contacted two local dealerships here in Northern California, Maserati San Francisco and Maserati Silicon Valley, and both informed me they do not perform pre purchase inspections. Does anyone have any links or references for a good service center? Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts