Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm a long time viewer of this forum and finally purchased a granturismo after months of reading and researching them.
2014 granturismo sport, 32k miles, one owner, clean carfax, got it inspected and everything SEEMED to be ok. I still have a month left of warranty. Only on cold starts, it makes a low ticking/knocking sound. SOUNDS like its coming above the oil pan. Once its warmed up, the sound goes away. IS this the dreaded cam variator issue or timing chain? I'm worried i bought a car with a big problem, only had it a month. Love the car.....but worried now. Here's a clip, anyone had this sound before????

4,126 Posts
There is no clip? Timing chains really don't go bad and a variator noise will go away very quickly once the car gets oil pressure..Maybe a lifter making noise when cold?...Reload the clip....Jason

·
Registered
100 Posts
This appears to be a common sound in these cars. There are other threads mentioning the sound, with many owners having noticed it. A good guess is it is the exhaust system warming and making "ticking" sounds. I gave up worrying about it a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Ticking / clicking is generally associated with older lifters until they quickly warm up, and the sound is clearly coming from the top of the engine ( inside the valve cover ) but ticking / KNOCKING coming from just above the oil pan ..I have no idea what could cause that knocking sound as the variatior noise would also come from the same spot ( under the cams ) . I do notice our exhaust system makes a bunch of weird noises briefly until it warms up, but was under the impression it's further down toward the tail end, although I would not be surprised if it also makes some sounds like that closer to the headers .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys thanks for the responses. I am having trouble uploading the video. Its a video on an iPhone if anyone has any tips to what I'm doing wrong. Started the car this morning. The noise starts on cold start and continues until the car has warmed up (7 minutes or so). I can only hear the sound below the car. I opened the hood and could hear nothing. After 7 minutes the sound completely goes away or has gotten quite enough where i can't hear it without getting closer to the sound. Going to try and upload the video clip again. If i had to describe the sound it sounds like a tapping(imagine if you had a screwdriver and lightly tapped the oil pan ) on the oil pan in a rhythm. I know describing a sound is hard so I'm gonna try and upload this video!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pongomas: You have exactly described the sound that many others have noticed. I think you will find it is not in "perfect" rhythm, but the "tick" varies slightly. If you drive the car right after a cold start, the sound goes away more quickly. Usually, if the car is driven after the cold start, the sound will never be heard. Usually, you have to be outside the car to hear it at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had the oil changed and full service (fluid flushes, belts changed) 2 weeks ago. I’ll check and make sure the oil is not low. Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll post some pics of the car too once I get everything sorted out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pongomas: Your car is fine. The 2014's are rock solid cars. Very few issues, and those are almost always electrical, that can be averted by keeping the car on a quality battery maintainer WHENEVER the car sets for more than a few hours. Another good practice to follow is when you start the car, always turn the key to the ON position and then wait the few seconds for the "battery" warning light in the left instrument to come on, then start the car. This gives all the computers time to "handshake" before the starter electrical load is placed on the system. This procedure seems to avert some of the weird things that can happen electrically on start up. Drive and enjoy your new Gran Turismo. It is the last of the big, normally aspirated Maserati's.

4,126 Posts
Sounds like a little noise out of one of the timing chain tensioners or rails..You have 3...One for each cam drive and a 3rd spring loaded one for the oil pump drive...I would just leave it be at this point and keep an eye on it....It is not a variator...Jason

4,126 Posts
You shouldn't freak out about every little noise a car engine makes..I hear these engines rattle a little on start up(dry sump) to making tapping lifter sounds on some of the wet sump cars...Other than the variators on the wetsump engines...We do zero other internal engine work...Unless you are gonna go in there and replace everything then I would get used to it...Jason

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jason: I always enjoy your well reasoned assessments of issues reported on the forum. I have worked on exotic Italian cars since 1963 (currently manage a vintage racing team), and agree completely with your above post. I learned a long time ago, when it comes to these cars, "If you go looking for trouble, you will eventually find it".

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Good to know this ( Jason & DWR input ) Hey guys, when you have a chance can you look ant the last two posts on the very first pinned thread on this forum ( common issues and fixes ) and let us know your thoughts .. . Thanks .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I hear the sound at the 16 second mark. I think these kinds of sound are common when engine is cold. Let it warm up a few minutes before you drive. Don't go looking for weird sounds or smell in the car...it'll drive you crazy. Just enjoy your ride unless the sound is very loud and continuous....it should be no problem. It may even be a bit sticky or dirty inside but no big deal...just flush the motor next time you do an oil change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds identical to my 2015 that I bought last year with 9k miles. Sounded like that on cold start the day I test drove it. Sounds like that on cold start today with 12k miles. I think you’re O.K.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought I would update. I didn't mention that my engine light is on, my fault on that part. Anyways I need to go to the dealer to see what code its showing . I had mentioned to the service manager about the noise weeks ago. The input here has eased my mind and is greatly appreciated . Had an appointment at the dealer but its been pushed back twice. I sent the video to the service manger and the tech thinks it COULD be something with timing chain, said i could drive it so they must not be too concerned (and as mentioned here could be just a normal noise, or maybe a tensioner or rail) I now have an appointment on July 16th. My warranty runs out on my car july 31st so I told him I REALLY would like to come before then. I specifically asked and The tech says its safe to drive (plus some here think its ok) so Ive been driving it. Hoping the engine light is just a faulty gas cap or something. I guess there are a million things for the engine light to come on. If it is a tensioner or rail as someone has mentioned, since the car is still under warranty (for a few more weeks), I'm curious what action will be taken on the car since from what I've seen getting to this is time consuming and i don't want them taking apart things unless its necessary. Ill keep you guys posted. Hoping the engine light is a faulty cap or something small.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Just thought I would update. I didn't mention that my engine light is on, my fault on that part. Anyways I need to go to the dealer to see what code its showing . I had mentioned to the service manager about the noise weeks ago. The input here has eased my mind and is greatly appreciated . Had an appointment at the dealer but its been pushed back twice. I sent the video to the service manger and the tech thinks it COULD be something with timing chain, said i could drive it so they must not be too concerned (and as mentioned here could be just a normal noise, or maybe a tensioner or rail) I now have an appointment on July 16th. My warranty runs out on my car july 31st so I told him I REALLY would like to come before then. I specifically asked and The tech says its safe to drive (plus some here think its ok) so Ive been driving it. Hoping the engine light is just a faulty gas cap or something. I guess there are a million things for the engine light to come on. If it is a tensioner or rail as someone has mentioned, since the car is still under warranty (for a few more weeks), I'm curious what action will be taken on the car since from what I've seen getting to this is time consuming and i don't want them taking apart things unless its necessary. Ill keep you guys posted. Hoping the engine light is a faulty cap or something small.
Even if the dealership keeps pushing your appointment to a further date, and if that date is after your warranty expires, they are still obligated to perform repairs (if necessary) under the warranty because you've made them aware of the issue. As others have said...it's an Italian car...just drive it!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts