Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have always loved the GT, I recently had my M5 written off and have bought an old Saab turbo to run about in till I can find the correct car. It took me 6 month to find the M5 and only had it four months before I was rear ended on the motorway. Anyway I have been looking at all sort, Panamera turbo, M6, M5,, DB9, Vantage. you can get some of these now for sub 25k. However the GT is currently top of the pile, its a stunning car. How reliable are they? I probably would keep the Saab for work so not a daily driver, Are parts easy to come by? What should I look out for? Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I heard the later models have bulletproof engines while the earlier ones like pre-2010 have problems. My friend had an '08 and his engine blew. $37k later, he sold it.

It's not the engine or transmission, but the little electrical problems that'll get ya, but no worse than any Aston, which was the other car I was looking at, but that car wasn't as stunning to look at as this for sure and even though the Aston sounds good, this sounds better.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi,
I have always loved the GT, I recently had my M5 written off and have bought an old Saab turbo to run about in till I can find the correct car. It took me 6 month to find the M5 and only had it four months before I was rear ended on the motorway. Anyway I have been looking at all sort, Panamera turbo, M6, M5,, DB9, Vantage. you can get some of these now for sub 25k. However the GT is currently top of the pile, its a stunning car. How reliable are they? I probably would keep the Saab for work so not a daily driver, Are parts easy to come by? What should I look out for? Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Been driving my 2014 GT nearly 2 years now daily. Reliability has been a non-issue!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Find a decent independent shop that can work on the car. Amazon/eBay for most parts. Scuderia for whatever else you can’t find. FormulaDynamics for any after market stuff or DIY items.

Stick around/under 12k miles/yr and you’ll be at a single oil change/yr.

Go with 2014 or newer. New infotainment screens came out in 2018, although there are some decent after market upgrades to <2018 models.

I use mine as a daily driver, about 1k miles/month. There’s a thread around here regarding most miles put on these cars and not everyone actually drives it as infrequently as you would think. Quite a few daily drivers out there...

I spent so much time replacing all the technology (usually sensors for the tech) that is out into cars like Mercedes that I really enjoy having a “basic” car that’s all engine. A little oil, belts and some TLC is all she really needs. Oh and Sport Mode...

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can go with a 2013 or newer. 2013 to 2017 are identical. That's the beauty of these cars..my 2013 even has the same wheels available as 2018`s. I found mine with only 11,000 miles on it last April. Unless you are looking for a GT with a factory warranty of course.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maserati will still sell you an extended warranty if your car is 7 years or newer. You pay them for sm inspection then they'll see if they can do it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maserati will still sell you an extended warranty if your car is 7 years or newer. You pay them for sm inspection then they'll see if they can do it.
Realistically an extended warranty is not needed...just not worth the thousands they charge. Most things that need fixed or replaced are nor,mal wear and not covered. Drive lines are very reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Careful spending any money on that warranty ! It’s often as useful as the toilet paper it’s written on , search this forum for horror stories on that topic. Practically 99% of components fall under excluded “ wear items “ and not covered .

·
Registered
433 Posts
Careful spending any money on that warranty ! It’s often as useful as the toilet paper it’s written on , search this forum for horror stories on that topic. Practically 99% of components fall under excluded “ wear items “ and not covered .
I agree!!!! Read the requirements to qualify for their extended warranty. You MUST have had all REQUIRED maintenance done by a Maserati dealer AND continued services...ugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are service manuals available in English and if so, are they originally written in English or obvious (that is to say, poor) translations from Italian?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Truer words have never been spoken!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
And yet another benefit of this forum, because without it and the real life experiences of its members posted here , any reasonable person would have an equally reasonable expectation that a warranty ( especially one provided by such a prestige brand ) would cover you for practically everything except service neglect and abuse of certain components, and not the contrary which excludes most things under the lame “wear” excuse . Every [email protected]%§*&g thing starts wearing after you buy the car, so what do they cover ?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies, I never bother with warranties and never will. I have had a few expensive to run older cars and never bothered. I can do most repairs myself to be honest, I also have a really good mechanic who is a big petrol head. obviously parts can be expensive but I would deal with that if I had to. I would be looking around 2010 as that's where my budget is. is the 4.7 the one yo go for? Also how noisy is the car on cold start? My M5 was loud and then died down as was the C63 courtesy car, Hopefully not crazy loud. Servicing etc would be done by my own mechanic, I always buy all my own parts/ oil etc as I like to know exactly what is being used in my cars. keep all receipts etc for the history. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And yet another benefit of this forum, because without it and the real life experiences of its members posted here , any reasonable person would have an equally reasonable expectation that a warranty ( especially one provided by such a prestige brand ) would cover you for practically everything except service neglect and abuse of certain components, and not the contrary which excludes most things under the lame “wear” excuse . Every [email protected]%§*&g thing starts wearing after you buy the car, so what do they cover ?!
My guess is, the usual “defects in parts or workmanship” that most warranties cover - things you would generally know about shortly after buying new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also how noisy is the car on cold start? My M5 was loud and then died down as was the C63 courtesy car, Hopefully not crazy loud.
My '18 MC is VERY LOUD on cold start for the first few seconds, then quiets down a bit and after about 30-45 seconds it idles much quieter unless it's in sport mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Start up is terrible. It's like you woke up an angry beast. Then it quiets down. Then gets mad again when you push sport mode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts