Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple of ?s
looking at a 03 coup
how do you know when the clutch is going out?
are there any more common things to look out for when buying a maz?
how stringent do you have to be on the scheduled maintenance?
what is the life expectancy of the motors (provided it was taken care of correctly)?

·
Registered
793 Posts
---how do you know when the clutch is going out?---
The weakest link in Maserati's chain and Ferrari's as well.

The computer/hydraulic clutch system needs more development, but this statement does not help you.

To answer the question, it will not shift correctly, you will notice a detectable odor, and the engine will seem to be turning at a rate greater than the actual speed of the car. Can also be a noticeable squeel from either the throwout or pilot bearings.

It can also be quite jerky in its attempt to shift, and it may regularly pop into neutral.

The 1K-15K mileage point can be telltale of it's condition.

To know its excat life a diagnostic device called and SD2/SD3 will read the onboard computer and calculate wear on how much is used an how much is left.

Get is looked over by a knowledgeable independent Maserati mechanic before buying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clutch

ok i was told that the clutch was replaced at 24,000mi and it was at35% at that time . the car now has 48,000 and when i asked about the scan tool check they want 100.00 to hook it up and check it . is it worth trying to haggle the price down anymore as the car is priced well below book value. and because it was still at 35% at 24000 mi is it safe to asume the previous owner didnt beat the snot out of it to have the clutch last that long?I am just a little bummed i have to fork 4000.00 out right after i bought the car

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I needed a new clutch one week after the dealer hooked up the diagnostics and told me I had 45% left on it. You should assume, in your purchase decision, that you already need a new clutch and any mileage you get out of it is on borrowed time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
that is still too much.

I took my 04 Coupe all options except Nav in to get a trade value. I was offered $28k and my car has 17,500 miles. it needs the 18k service but it had 55% clutch life at 14k miles back in May when it was checked out. that car in need of a clutch is a $25k trade in so $26-27k retail. Look around and you can find good cars for a great price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.