Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Quattroporte DuoSelect
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 09 GT S with the f1 transaxle. The dealer said it has a "chain rattle" at startup for a second (only cold start). So they are flexible on price. I'm wondering if they aren't letting the f1 pump prime and are just getting in and cranking out over. They are suppose to send me a video since I'm not local.

Do the dry sump GT's typically have a varriator problem? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it since price is so low and just fix it myself.

FYI I have a 07 a QPV f1 so I'm not unfamiliar with the mas nuances.

Thoughts, should I steer clear and just get one with no issues or jump on a possible good deal. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking at a 09 GT S with the f1 transaxle. The dealer said it has a "chain rattle" at startup for a second (only cold start). So they are flexible on price. I'm wondering if they aren't letting the f1 pump prime and are just getting in and cranking out over. They are suppose to send me a video since I'm not local.

Do the dry sump GT's typically have a varriator problem? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it since price is so low and just fix it myself.

Thoughts, should I steer clear and just get one with no issues or jump on a possible good deal. Thanks in advance.
As far as I'm aware, all the GT-S are wet sump. And yes, it sounds like the variator problem that the early ones are well known to possibly suffer from.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I'm aware, all the GT-S are wet sump. And yes, it sounds like the variator problem that the early ones are well known to possibly suffer from.
I thought the f1's were dry... I could be wrong. I'll look into it more. I'm just thinking only 300 were avail on the US. Could be a good buy with good resale in the future. 🤷🏿‍♀️

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
171 Posts
Definitely sounds like variators. Is the sound from the front or rear? You may be able to get a good deal if you plan on doing the work yourself and you can get it cheap enough. What about other things like miles and condition of the rest of the car? Probably also want a check of the clutch wear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All Granturismos are wet sump. Some info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F136_engine

And yes it does sound like the variator problem.
Definitely sounds like variators. Is the sound from the front or rear? You may be able to get a good deal if you plan on doing the work yourself and you can get it cheap enough. What about other things like miles and condition of the rest of the car? Probably also want a check of the clutch wear.
The dealer sent me a video. Car looks in overall good shape, 36k on the odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It just a dry variator on start up.. I have the 09 myself and had the same rattle. The FIX --" LUCAS LOW VISCOSITY STABILIZER" ONE CAN. After about 200 miles the Rattle is GONE,GONE,GONE No more rattle at start up. Can save you about $ 1,0000 or so. It's worth the try don't you think? Mike ( GOD IS GOOD ) Roman 10:9 1Cor. 15:1-4

·
Registered
Maserati GranTurismo (Totalled)
37 Posts
All Granturismos are wet sump. Some info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F136_engine

And yes it does sound like the variator problem.
I believe the 4.2 is wet sump and the 4.7 is dry sump. 4.7's appear to be less prone to variator issues but can still be afflicted.

And agree with the others. It's not a "chain", it's the variators. I'd have them open it up to see if the cam caps have been machined and check valve installed. I'm betting they won't and further bet the work hasn't been done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It just a dry variator on start up.. I have the 09 myself and had the same rattle. The FIX --" LUCAS LOW VISCOSITY STABILIZER" ONE CAN. After about 200 miles the Rattle is GONE,GONE,GONE No more rattle at start up. Can save you about $ 1,0000 or so. It's worth the try don't you think? Mike ( GOD IS GOOD ) Roman 10:9 1Cor. 15:1-4
Do you have the S with the f1 transaxle? If so how do you like it? If I get the car I'll for sure try this. Along with the cam cap check valve.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the S with F1 gearbox. It is definitely not for everyone but for me I love it and wouldn't want an automatic. If you prefer driving manuals then it's a good option. If you test drive it, make sure you put it in Sport+Manual mode, and try the quick shifts ("MC-Shift") which requires more than 85% throttle at over 5500rpm (and the gearbox needs to be warmed up, at which pont "MC-Shift" appears in the dash). It feels like blasting a shotgun lol.

Automatic mode is terrible, your passenger's head will be bobbing forwards and back with each shift and it's slow. Do not buy it if you don't drive a manual.

·
Registered
Maserati GranTurismo (Totalled)
37 Posts
Sigh, let me say again, ALL Granturismos whether 4.2, 4.7, Stradale, etc, have wet sump engines. You can see for yourself in the link I posted earlier.
Wow! Thank you for setting me straight. I will no longer perpetuate misinformation regarding all GTs. 😂 I wonder if that notion just carried forward from the previous coupé generation.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Wow! Thank you for setting me straight. I will no longer perpetuate misinformation regarding all GTs. 😂 I wonder if that notion just carried forward from the previous coupé generation.
Whether ye be right or wrong, hats off for your great display of humility.
Sleeve Gesture Elbow Art Wrist

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,660 Posts
IMHO, if it doesn't have a clutch foot pedal and a real shifter , it is NOT a "manual ", it's still a variation of an automatic transmission which requires a greater degree of manual effort .. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
107 Posts
IMHO, if it doesn't have a clutch foot pedal and a real shifter , it is NOT a "manual ", it's still a variation of an automatic transmission which requires a greater degree of manual effort .. :cautious:
Well said

·
Registered
595 Posts
How is it a variation of an automatic transmission? Mechanically it is exactly a manual gearbox.

All my previous sports cars for the 20+ years before my Granturismo were manuals. Unfortunately that's not an option for the GT so the F1 is the next best option. It's the exact gearbox and version (Ferrari SOFAST IV with Superfast shift) as the 599 GTB which is fine by me. Would you say a Ferrari Enzo (older SOFAST I) comes with an automatic transmission?

I can totally understand when people say a car like the Granturismo is more suited to an automatic or they like it better with one, but to say the F1 gearbox is just like an automatic especially never having driven one is LOL.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,660 Posts
First of all, before you jump to conclusions , whilst I may not have driven a Granturismo with F1, I have driven Ferraris with the F1 gearbox, so I’m not entirely unfamiliar with the set up. Secondly, by any automotive definition you might search, a “manual“ transmission is purely and simply what I described above. Yes, it’s arguably semantics, and the traditional terminology but that definition is used pretty much universally. I‘ve seen the F1 referred to as an “ automated manual “ transmission , but more often than that it’s called a “semi-automatic “, so call it what you want , but it’s still a quasi-automatic variation.
Is it a lot more fun and more engaging to drive than our automatics - absolutely ! Is it as engaging and as much fun as a true manual - no way ..at least in my book, regardless of how much faster it is . IMO.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well I totally agree that a 3-pedal manual is more engaging. Alas that's not an option with the Granturismo.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,660 Posts
Too bad they didn’t produce a series of them in the early days with a full manual, it would have been interesting to see if the appreciation of their market value might have followed in the same footsteps of the 599 Fiorano whose manual cars ( at least in asking price ..) are double, with some pushing triple the price of the regular models, all else being equal.. but that’s probably because so few were produced with a manual, they’re extremely rare .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts