Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done this change and if so how have you found it?

Have read of people going from 996 to maser but it is more of a GT anyway so not the comparision that I need.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The 993 Porsches are definately my favorite, except for the 996 GT2 and x50 Turbos, and they are definately a drivers car. I think the biggest changes going from the 993 to a 4200 would be similar to 993 > 996. Mainly more modern day electronics and controls. I guess it really depends on what your favorite things are about the 993. If you are really purist, and most attached to the simple\basic controls, and direct road feel you may miss them. If you want to step up in creature comforts, performance, and uniqueness, the Maser is for you. Personally I like them better than all of the 996 cars, except for the two noted.

- Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maserati of minneapolis said:
The 993 Porsches are definately my favorite, except for the 996 GT2 and x50 Turbos, and they are definately a drivers car. I think the biggest changes going from the 993 to a 4200 would be similar to 993 > 996. Mainly more modern day electronics and controls. I guess it really depends on what your favorite things are about the 993. If you are really purist, and most attached to the simple\basic controls, and direct road feel you may miss them. If you want to step up in creature comforts, performance, and uniqueness, the Maser is for you. Personally I like them better than all of the 996 cars, except for the two noted.

- Mark
That is my dilemma re the drive that I would get. The 4200 does look great and as you say the uniqueness factor is a plus, saying that there is only one other 993 where I live and I never see it!

·
Registered
909 Posts
What are the specifics on your 993?

I used to be a huge Porsche guy, the day I got to drive the GT2, I literally came back shaking.. That might have just been from how fast it was, but I was really geeked out. Few cars get that kind of reaction out of me. Second and third gears in that care are just plain nuts.

One of my favorite cars that we've had was a 993 Z code targa (non US emissions and almost 400lbs lighter if i remember correctly, with the lift off top vs. glass panel) that had been lowered among other performance upgrades. The car was a ton of fun, and definitely a drivers car, but I think the Maser is a pretty big step up, creature comforts aside.

I think your best bet is to just get behind the wheel of one and drive it for a bit and see what you think.

- Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The GT2 is a monster!

My car is a standard coupe with sports exhaust and uprated Bilstein and H&R suspension package which makes it sit about 30mm lower, which is possibly closer to 50mm if compared to the US spec models.

Performance wise very similar to the 4200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts