Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gransports 06 with a Tubi exhaust. When I bought it initially, I liked the popping noise coming out from the exhaust whenever I geared down or slowed down. This popping noise from the exhaust has just disappeared suddenly for a few months. Can anyone explain why?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you mean an after-market tubi - or are we talking about the original exhaust?

Do you realise that in sport mode you get throttle-blips - but not otherwise? I would not describe this as "popping" - at least not on the factory-fit tubi.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That's weird, I don't think they go away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same thoughts! I have not changed fuel or exhaust, which is an after market tubi. The car is always driven in sports mode. There is no change in any of the varibles. the popping or throttle blips has simply disappeared. Most strange.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The throttle blips are gone too? Either you are downshifting below 2000 rpm or you're driving in Auto mode (I know it sounds silly, but someone pressed the Auto button in my car once and took me a little while to find out :rolleyes:)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Eugene, I am no expert but perhaps the air flow into the car is not right? Maybe a sensor gone off?

Is the car driving the same way as before? Loss of power? Can it freely rev to the red line?

Give us more ideas mate, we'd like to help :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I---This popping noise from the exhaust has just disappeared suddenly for a few months. Can anyone explain why?
Free flow exhaust systems will affect the performance of catylytic converters and the ECU will adjust to this.

In other words, your system may have leaned out just a bit from the ECU learning what's going on, and, as a result, you have less unburned gasses in the cat. In short the system is functioning more efficiently.

So, now you have less popping!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Unfortunately for him, it makes sense...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess you guys are right. The car is certainly more fuel efficient now without any loss of power. Just that I really liked the popping sound when I slow down or down shift.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've been driving my car lately with MSP turned off and the car's been popping a lot more. On the other side, when I drive in "normal" mode there's no popping, zero.

With a Tubi, it's hard to believe that your air/fuel ratio is so perfect that you don't get ANY popping.

I think it's something else...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think you are right Niteroi. I will take the car to the dealers for another check. The last I heard from them it was ok. So far, no loss of power but really find it strange. Keep you all posted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
when I drive in "normal" mode there's no popping, zero.
The Sport mode does at least two things worth noting
- activates the internal valve in the exhaust so it opens at idle and above a certain rpm limit
- sets the engine to automatically blip the throttle on downshifts

All of which changes the type and amount of noise coming from your exhaust.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thank you for the explanation! I didn't know that there was no blipping in Normal mode, since I've only used it a couple of times I never noticed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.