Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my '05 QP in to the tire shop to have a slow leak looked at and it turns out that my rear 19" rim had a very small crack in it. The tire tech then refused to re-mount my tire due to the risk of tire failure (employees can get away with stuff like that in Canada).

Having no spare tire we tried to figure out how we were going to move my car while the rim was being repaired.

Turns out that a Mazda wheel has the same bolt pattern as the Maser and a 17" 245/45 makes a very passable spare tire for a QP (with slightly shorter lugs) and even fits nicely in the trunk.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I took my '05 QP in to the tire shop to have a slow leak looked at and it turns out that my rear 19" rim had a very small crack in it. The tire tech then refused to re-mount my tire due to the risk of tire failure (employees can get away with stuff like that in Canada).

Having no spare tire we tried to figure out how we were going to move my car while the rim was being repaired.

Turns out that a Mazda wheel has the same bolt pattern as the Maser and a 17" 245/45 makes a very passable spare tire for a QP (with slightly shorter lugs) and even fits nicely in the trunk.
Very useful information; thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts

did you use the 6.5 or 7" 17" Mazda wheel. Any other info about the specific Mazda wheel?
Thanks much,

·
Registered
250 Posts
bump....

Was talking to a friend about the risk of no spare with non-runflats, and he recounted two flats in one week on his M3. So now the gambling gods are chasing me.

Any details on the size of that rim? Any thoughts on other rims? Ideally I'd like to find a spare narrow tire for emergencies that doesn't take up the whole of that useful space under the trunk floor....

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is a great topic as I had a 3-piece wheel leak recently and felt a bit exposed - I do have the gel pack but I'd feel better to know I've got a spare in the trunk to help get me home (rather than muck about with the gel).

So I phoned up the dealer - $1,030 for a 17" x 4.5" space saver wheel with 185/60 x 17 tire. I expected it to be expensive but that was a joke.

He expained that this price included a jack (thanks!), a wheel wrench (thanks again!) and a compressor (that I already have with the gell pack option). Oh yes, and 5 bolts.

Turns out the jack is $95 and the compressor is $364, but even if you could negotiate with them to split the package up and leave out the compressor (and the jack if you already have one or want to get a cheaper one from Autozone) you're still looking at $600. I got them to take the tax off (to save $100) but the service manager wouldn't split the package so there was no deal.

There must be a market to offer the Maser owners a value-for-money reasonably engineered space-saver spare wheel when the dealers are going to charge this kind of money.

So more information on the "Mazda option" would be great!

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
spare

Note for 4200 owners...

The OP in this thread has a QP. I don't think Mazda wheels will fit the 4200 series cars. Quattroporte wheels have a 5x112 bolt pattern. 4200 cars (Coupe/Spyder/GranSport) have a 5x108 bolt pattern.

As a side note, A couple of Jaguar cars (x and s-types I think) have the same 5x108 bolt pattern. That may be a lead for 4200 spare wheel/tire options.
Did the S and X have full spares or donuts spares what years? How can we confirm the bolt pattern for the 2004 coupes

·
Registered
250 Posts
bit of scouting....

Bolt pattern on the QP is 5-114 according to tire rack, and http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-117406.html shows bolt patterns for many common cars. ASSUMING that 5-114 is really 5-114.3 (there are many 5-114.3 but tirerack seem to abbreviate to 5-114), then possible donors are:

Mustang, 350Z, altima, dodge caravan (!), and many others.

Who has a QP spare that can provide the actual tire code (eg the 245/35X19 stuff) so I can find the correct size?

·
5,887 Posts
How can we confirm the bolt pattern for the 2004 coupes
The bolt pattern for 4200 cars is 5x108

Checked tirerack site and 2004 s type V8 sport pack has 5-108 bolt pattern with 45mm offset. Anyone know our offset?
I think these are the Coupe/Spyder offsets (Gransport should be the same)...

63.7 mm (front)
55.5 mm (rear)

Maybe someone else can confirm these

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
250 Posts
My IT guy has a 09 Mustang GT-CS with a space-saver spare, sized at 185-60x17, which is a little wider than I expected, but may have the same bolt pattern.

Thanks again to the power of the interwebs, i can calc that this is 4% off the circumference of the front and back wheels (19") on the QP, and a 185-60x17 would be within 1%.

So, maybe that rim with a different, higher profile tire would do. Ideally, I want something slimmer for emergencies only, but the hunt gets closer....

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
on offsets, these are what stamped on the back side of wheel spokes. I know the last one is offset, but does anybody know what EH2 or H2 are for?

GS front 8.0Jx19EH2-62.2
GS rear 9.5Jx19H2-55.5

jess

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Extended Hump for runflat tires. See Pirelli FAQs here.

I find it interesting that the fronts are the newer design and the rears are the older. Perhaps because of the staggered setup and that the rears will never be mounted on the front? The EH2 rims have an extended hump to ensure that the bead on runflats stays where it needs to be.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So for us 4200 guys, it looks like the jag fits bolt pattern, but offset is different 45 v. 63.7 (front) / 55.5 (rear). Does this mean that if the spare in the jag is narrower it will fit the wheel well? I may be calculating this wrong, but I estimate that if the jag spare is 195 or less it will fit without rubbing. Is this correct? Anyone have both cars?

·
5,887 Posts
So for us 4200 guys, it looks like the jag fits bolt pattern, but offset is different 45 v. 63.7 (front) / 55.5 (rear). Does this mean that if the spare in the jag is narrower it will fit the wheel well?
I don't think the wheel well would be an issue. I think it would be more important to see if a lower offset wheel will clear the front brake calipers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.