Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was planning to change the oil in a few weeks and had planned to throw a new BMC air filter in the Granturismo while at it. From what I had read, it was a no brainer. That was until I came across the below video:

Long story short, the cotton type high performance air filters (BMC, K&N, etc.) do allow for higher airflow but at the cost of proper filtration. The cotton + oil combo is not as good as filtering out particulates as the paper filters. Maybe on purpose built, track or weekend cars this may not be a big deal. However, for daily drivers this could present issues in the long run.

Now, it appears all high end car owners swear by these BMC/K&N type high performance air filters but maybe it's fine since for most of them, the cars are weekend cars. But for those like myself who plan to use the cars as a daily driver, are we inviting potential trouble in the long run? The tests in the video certainly suggest so....

This isn't about cost of one filter over the other....it's about what's best for the car.

Would love to hear some feedback from you guys.

4,089 Posts
Not sure about all that...Cotton gauze filters are superior in filtering to a cheap paper one....The are also more expensive and that is why manufactures use paper ones....As well as the fact the oil on the cotton gauze filters can contaminate the air mass sensor.... This guy is an engine guru and has several books out. Jason
Dave Vizard explains how the K&N filters works

1 - 2 of 2 Posts