Maserati Forum banner

Buy 2004 Maser Coupe GT 6 speed $20k, new clutch, 40k miles

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I looked at a 40k manual Coupe GT in champagne silver. It's growing on me but have a couple of questions. Left inner fender wall liner seems to be cut or tampered with. Also, the inside door frame looks messy (see picture attached) on the left compared to the right. Incidentally, both visual defects are on the same side. Was this a repair? Dealer has paperwork of clutch replacement 2 years ago so I like this mechanically but the inner door frame worries me. What are your opinions?
I am getting a Larini exhaust as soon as I buy it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year and price? CARFAX?
correction: the car is a 2004!
Going for 20K with new clutch 2 years / -5000 miles ago! Dealer has receipt.
However, the interior needs work including the leather headliner.

I attached the car fax screenshots!!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’d leave it, the door shut is not right / factory and the boot is not sitting correctly either. So definitely some story there.

The wheel arch liner is just where the Velcro fails and the tyre has caught it.

Plenty more out there for that money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d leave it, the door shut is not right / factory and the boot is not sitting correctly either. So definitely some story there.

The wheel arch liner is just where the Velcro fails and the tyre has caught it.

Plenty more out there for that money.
Even for 20k usd? I thought the price was fair given that it had clutch job recently and I didn't see that the doors were uneven

·
Registered
512 Posts
I vote no also at that price. To many questions, for one why the need for a clutch at such low miles? I know these are hand built, but too much body work inconsistencies, let alone interior issues. Look and you will find better values.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I vote no also at that price. To many questions, for one why the need for a clutch at such low miles? I know these are hand built, but too much body work inconsistencies, let alone interior issues. Look and you will find better values.
Noted. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also vote no.

FWIW I'm fixing up an extremely cheap Gransport at the moment. So far a new transmission, new rear arms, new window regs and so on. I'm only doing it because the body is straight, and I can tell you the car has enough design issues, gremlins and flaws to keep you busy let alone buying one with patched holes and and body work. Getting a cheap one because it is worn out is different than getting a cheap one because it has issues. Unless you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself it will ruin your day.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How do you bend the trunk like that....curious as to what happened to this car.....

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
187 Posts
How do you bend the trunk like that....curious as to what happened to this car.....

Kindly,
Stephen
Impact in the rear large enough to unsettle the mounting points for the lid. Most shops (in Australia) don't pull bodywork straight and just buy parts and reassemble. If its out by a few mm you get an extra gap.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi lambertius,

Thank you sir. Hate seeing cars like that in bad shape...I think I pick mine up this week.

How is your Gransport project coming?

Kindly,

Stephen

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are not many good body shops. I bought an MX-5 (Miata) SP (factory car with performance on par with the Gransport) a few years ago, and it had been in a minor accident that broke the front bumper years ago that had been repaired. When I pulled the bumper off, they had spaced the hood latch with washers instead of pulling the bent bar straight. It cost me like $150? to get a competent shop to pull the latch straight. You need special equipment, but doing it is actually easy... Stuff like that grinds my gears.

My project is coming along well, new transmission is in and plenty on the horizon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts