Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did and it did polish the outside nice... unfortunately mine and many other headlights have a haze on the inside. :-(

I would love to hear if anyone has disassembled their lights to clean the inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What system did you use

What system did you use to clean the outside?

Can the light even be disassembled? I thought they were sealed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will have to look when I get home. I think I bought it at Fleet Farm.

I have heard the headlights are sealed but you have to be able to remove the bulbs and such. There has to be a way.

I saw on another site that some of the import tuners bake their light assemblies at a low oven temp to melt the adhesive. Maybe that is an option? Or a VERY expensive mistake...

·
5,887 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm not going to bake my lights

I guess I'll make a stop at the junk jard a pickup and old light to try this producs on first.

If everything goes well I'll go ahead and polish the light on my Spyder. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lots of work, little benefit...

I polished my lens the old fasioned way. As my car is an '02 which has been driven at high speeds rather regularly, my lenses had their share of sand blasting and pock marks. No polish will remove that. Thus, I wet sanded, then polished using progressively less aggressive polishes, to get the outer surface like glass. Worked fine. Problem is that pesky film INSIDE the lens which makes the whole thing look cloudy, despite all that work.

I removed my front driver's side wheel, then took the front fender access cover off, and went so far as removed the back of the bulb housing (it's a screw cap of sorts). I saw no realistic way to get any type of brush or cleaner into the light housing. In fact, whatever I did caused a HID warning light to come on whenever I turn my lights on. I must have inadvertently disconnected something, as it's pretty tight in there.

Incidentally, agressively polishing the lens as I did will require periodic application of a UV coating, which is readily available. The sanding and/or polishing can remove the "permanent" UV coat applied at the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts