Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 QP. Everything went well for the past year until last week after I refuelled it at the petrol filling station, the car won't start up.

The starter worked well (as I can hear the clicking sound) but the engine did not start. After trying for 4 times, the engine start when I depressed the accelerator and the engine stalked once the accelerator was released.

After I depressed the accelerator for 20 second when starting the engine, everything came back to normal. For the whole week of driving, I did not figure out any problem when starting the engine (it started in 2 seconds).

Strange thing happened when I refuelled my car the week after. The engine won't start like previously and everything back to square one (start the engine by depress the accelerator for 20 seconds to prevent it stalking).

In order to check it, upon leaving the petrol station, I have deliberately switched off the engine several times and turned it on, it started perfectly. However, when I drove back to the petrol station and tried to fill up the tank with 5 more litres of petrol (Just for testing)----the engine can't be started as discussed above.

Could anyone here suggests what happen to my car. Is there something wrong with the fuel pump, electronic immobilizer, etc.

Cheers

b750ung

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't know much about these things but it sounds odd....does the same thing happen if you just briefly remove the fuel filler cap and then replace it (without putting fuel in)? If it doesn't start after this, I'm wondering if it could possibly be a vacuum issue in the fuel line?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vincenzo for your quick reply.
It is strange that if I just remove the fuel filler cap and then close it without actually refuelling, no problem is found. The problem arises when the car just got refuelled and it won't start.

Cheers,

B750ung

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does the check engine light come on?

When you say the engine won't start do you mean that it won't even turn over or that it turns over but won't start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The check engine light didn't come on.

The starter worked well but the engine didn't fire. My gut feeling is that it has something wrong with the fuel pump or fuel line....???

Many Thanks.

B750ung

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You can test the fuel pump pressure...

If you go down to the auto parts store and get a pressure guage.. It seems funny that once you get going it runs until you get fuel again... What kind of Gasoline are you putting in? Have you put any fuel additive in with it by chance? Do you have any more details? Other things you have done at the same time but haven't thought about it?

·
Registered
340 Posts
It may also be the fuel cap. If air is leaking around the seal it may take 4-5 starting attempts to build enough pressure to get the fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
had check engine lights for almost a year when I got the car, the gas tank system is pretty complex and it turned out to be a partial/occasional leak in the gas cap.

Maserati USA issues a new part, but it was the same part number. One of the tech's figured it out when comparing the two side by side, the new part has the part number stamped larger than the original.

What's going on:

1. There's a check valve in the system. If you release your lid before turning off your car, the check valve will stay closed (it's a safety feature incase your car flips over). I know it won't allow you to put gas in (pump goes in but gas has nowhere to go), but not sure if it will prevent you from restarting your car.

2. There's a random pressure test given when you tank is more than half full, but not completely full and you've driven the car at least 30 min. The test is performed after you shut off the car and walk away. The tank's air pressure is read in relation to what it should be based on fuel level. This is where I was having the problem, only sometimes would the gas cap leak, so it wasn't a consistent problem. I head Ferrari's were having the same problem with their gas caps. New cap is exact same dimensions, tech thought they changed the compound of the rubber seal though. I would only get a check engine light, never had problems starting.

Some ideas (it's always ten times faster to try and diagnose yourself than wait for the dealer if you can!).

1. Is it always the same gas station you use? Maybe they've got a tank of bad gas. Try filling up somewhere else

2. Make sure you twist your cap till you hear 3 clicks (although I doubt that would cause it to not start).

3. A clogged fuel filter wouldn't be effected by filling the tank, it would be more consistent and also happen when just restarting the car at any given time.

4. Try shutting off when tank is low/empty and then restarting. If it starts fine each time (without refilling), it's not the fuel pump. If it was something floating in the tank and clogging the pump/filter, it would be mixed back into the tank when you refilled. You'd have restarting problems most of the time at a low tank, but not when refilled.

5. Try refilling different ways. Fill up to a half tank and then restart. Full up to 3/4 tank then restart. Maybe there's something wrong with the pump and it's allowing you to overfill the tank and that's interferring with the fill next check valve?

6. If you ever have problems with it not doing anything (turn key, no clicking from starter), it's probably an electric issue with the car not being in neutral. You said it's clicking though and just not turning over.

7. Have you had a tune up lately? How does the car idle otherwise?

good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, guys. Let me bring my car to the dealer and have the fuel pump, fuel cap and check value tested and see what they say.

Many thanks again.

b750ung

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is NOT the gas cap,or the fuel pump or the fuel filter (it does not have a fuel filter).The problem is a faulty fuel vapor charcoal cannister purge VALVE stuck open or intermittently sticking open, venting fresh fuel vapors into the engine creating an extremely RICH condition and hard start. Depressing the accellerator pedal helps to LEAN the air fuel mixture closer to the ideal 14.7 to 1 ratio. The engine ECU will not unearth this problem until it runs a self test of the fuel vapor system for leaks. It will only run a self test if the fuel tank is between 15% and 85% and then it is every other drive cycle, permitting the criteria for a "drive cycle" have been met, short trips are not enough for a "cycle".Whan it does run a self test the CEL will only come on for the next ignition cycle then go off, the stored DTC will most likely be a P0455-anti-evap system leak-major loss. Hope this helps to clarify things.--Kent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fuel Problem

You probably have enough potential solutions already, however....my wife's Porsche Boxster would give problems if she overfilled the tank. When the filling station pump shuts off, stop there, do not top it up with even a drop. It would cause pressure problems resulting in sensors sending false readings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Kent,

But should the problem be rectified by the dealer service centre? Big issue and expensive to repair? Pls advise as I am no professional and don't know the word CEL, DTC as you have quoted.

Many Thanks again.

b750ung

·
Registered
141 Posts
B, If the car is under warranty-ABSOLUTELY. Why should you pay for it. Sorry about the Acronyms--
CEL-Check engine light- AKA- MIL-Malfunction indicator light
DTC-Diagnostic trouble code- AKA- The "error"
ECU-Engine Control Unit- AKA- The "Computer"
The upside is the "Dealer" can rectify this, the downside is it has to go to
the Dealer to be rectified.
None the less, It is not a Major concern at all, very minor subsystem that works in conjunction with the Engine Computer.
Good luck, Hope this helps to simplify matters.
-Kent

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kent,

Just sent the car to the dealer service centre and they said absolutely the same thing as you did. They confirmed that the car can be picked up within a week or so, hopefully I didn't have to pay anything this time.

Thanks very much again Kent.

B750ung

·
Registered
67 Posts
try this

I've got an 05 QP. Everything went well for the past year until last week after I refuelled it at the petrol filling station, the car won't start up.

The starter worked well (as I can hear the clicking sound) but the engine did not start. After trying for 4 times, the engine start when I depressed the accelerator and the engine stalked once the accelerator was released.

After I depressed the accelerator for 20 second when starting the engine, everything came back to normal. For the whole week of driving, I did not figure out any problem when starting the engine (it started in 2 seconds).

Strange thing happened when I refuelled my car the week after. The engine won't start like previously and everything back to square one (start the engine by depress the accelerator for 20 seconds to prevent it stalking).

In order to check it, upon leaving the petrol station, I have deliberately switched off the engine several times and turned it on, it started perfectly. However, when I drove back to the petrol station and tried to fill up the tank with 5 more litres of petrol (Just for testing)----the engine can't be started as discussed above.

Could anyone here suggests what happen to my car. Is there something wrong with the fuel pump, electronic immobilizer, etc.

Cheers

b750ung
maybe your inertia switch try to hit the inertia switch when you are done filling your tank and wont start, its right underneath your feet on the driver seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem

Hello,

I have a 2004 QP. and am having the exact same problem.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this and find a solution?

Thanks

Nads

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nads, are you getting a CEL? I have a 2007 QP and had a similar problem. Dealer diagnosed as a flooded charcoal filter and advised to cut engine off before releasing fuel filling door. Problem continued once more. Car would start after 20-30 min. Next time showed a CEL and dealer had to replace a faulty valve in the fuel vapor evacuation system. Hope this helps or perhaps you have it fixed by now. Best wishes, Doug

·
Registered
603 Posts
Same problem!

It is NOT the gas cap,or the fuel pump or the fuel filter (it does not have a fuel filter).The problem is a faulty fuel vapor charcoal cannister purge VALVE stuck open or intermittently sticking open, venting fresh fuel vapors into the engine creating an extremely RICH condition and hard start. Depressing the accellerator pedal helps to LEAN the air fuel mixture closer to the ideal 14.7 to 1 ratio. The engine ECU will not unearth this problem until it runs a self test of the fuel vapor system for leaks. It will only run a self test if the fuel tank is between 15% and 85% and then it is every other drive cycle, permitting the criteria for a "drive cycle" have been met, short trips are not enough for a "cycle".Whan it does run a self test the CEL will only come on for the next ignition cycle then go off, the stored DTC will most likely be a P0455-anti-evap system leak-major loss. Hope this helps to clarify things.--Kent
Wow, this describes a problem I have just recently experienced. Car wouldn't start after refuelling unless pumped a little on gas pedal. Car gave a P0455 code. Otherwise car pretty much running perfectly, although car did stall at a red light. 2 Questions:

1) is there danger to car if continue to drive till can get fixed.
2) is this a DIY job? i.e. is it hard to access and / or replace purge valve on your own?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts