Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Well I have been having good luck with my 2004 Coupe CC until recently. My battery died a a few times this month as I was not driving the car often (due to rain and bad weather.) The CC light started coming on around this same time but it was intermittent; When I did a battery reset I could clear it. Just last week I got stranded and I had to get a jump start (battery was just about dead.) The first time I got a jump start I let it sit then tried to drive it and it instantly died. I then got a CEL; I checked the codes with a scanner and pulled a P1586 (Battery Current Sensor Signal Malfunction) and a P0806 (Clutch position sensor circuit range.) I cleared them and the next day I went and bought a new battery (Sears Diehard 700 CCA battery); it had a little AC Delco 560 CCA battery in it prior to this which according to a couple of Maserati dealerships was way to small.
Still the problems persisted with the intermittent CC light; sometimes the car would start then the CC light would start flashing within 5 minutes...then I would switch the car off and off course it would not start again. Sometimes I had to wait several hours to clear it even with a battery reset.
Well today I got tired of getting this light and the battery reset didn't work after 2 hours so I started to look at the obvious things (1) Brake Light switch (2) listening for the F1 priming ...sometimes it would not do it...sometimes it would...this was when the engine was cold when I opened the door. (3) Inspect the relay
I pulled the F1 pump relay and inspected it; it looked OK. I put it back in the car then I could hear the pump prime when I opened the door. The car started right up and I even drove it about 5 miles or so with no issues.

Do you think that the relay would be the issue here? The dealer thinks it could be the clutch sensor. I just had the car into the Maserati dealer 3 months ago for fluid changes and other maint. ($2K worth); they said I had 33 percent clutch wear. (The car had it's first clutch changed out at 9K miles and now it has 31K miles.)

I think I am going to order a new relay just in case as pulling it and fiddling around with it seemed to work for tonight at least.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can change the relay, and it might fool you into thinking that it was the problem, but I would put my money on the F1 pump. As the brushes wear and get stuck, this is the way it acts. I went through all these symptoms untill finally changeing the F1 pump to solve the problem. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
well first of all how did u inspect the f-1 relay. you cant tell what shape its in by looking at it. it has to come apart. id changed it first thing. go to napa or autozone and pick one up. then try it and stay very close to home for a few test drives. if thats not it I agree with Packard Roy and Travis, look at the f-1 pump

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well first of all how did u inspect the f-1 relay. you cant tell what shape its in by looking at it. it has to come apart. id changed it first thing. go to napa or autozone and pick one up. then try it and stay very close to home for a few test drives. if thats not it I agree with Packard Roy and Travis, look at the f-1 pump
I took the whole relay out of the car and looked at the posts for scoring and popped the top off it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. However, I heard noises (when the car wasn't priming the pump) that sounded like a clicking noise from the trunk area (so I suspected the relay.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can change the relay, and it might fool you into thinking that it was the problem, but I would put my money on the F1 pump. As the brushes wear and get stuck, this is the way it acts. I went through all these symptoms untill finally changeing the F1 pump to solve the problem. Good Luck.
I suspected the pump could be on it's way out. I would like to nail the issue down soon the car is going to be put away for the Winter. If it is the pump I want to get it fixed now. Possibly I could inspect the pump; Is it hard to remove?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
yea im putting my money on the pump also but id still buy a new relay. for a few bucs its worth it then u know for certain u have that part eliminated. then see what happens. taking the pump out doesnt look that bad at all. I havent replaced it yet but i will be replacing mine shortly once i hit 20K as i have one on the shelf. there are a couple threads on R & R

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea im putting my money on the pump also but id still buy a new relay. for a few bucs its worth it then u know for certain u have that part eliminated. then see what happens. taking the pump out doesnt look that bad at all. I havent replaced it yet but i will be replacing mine shortly once i hit 20K as i have one on the shelf. there are a couple threads on R & R
Yeah, it is starting to look like it is the pump now. I went out this morning opened the door (heard the pump priming and it turned off.) I heard the pump prime once more when I got in and prepared to start the car (watching the dash lights go out.) The car started then about 3 minutes later the flashing CC light came on. Well guess I won't be driving it anytime soon. I am going to pick up a relay today at NAPA.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
my pump generally primes for 5 seconds when i open the door, then when i put the key in and turn it, another 3 to 5 seconds. if u have this its normal. so as Travis says its possible u may have something else going on

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my pump generally primes for 5 seconds when i open the door, then when i put the key in and turn it, another 3 to 5 seconds. if u have this its normal. so as Travis says its possible u may have something else going on
Would that clutch position sensor cause all these problems? I let the car sit for 3 hours (battery reset) yesterday and went to turn everything on. I didn't hear the pump prime at all; I heard several clicking sounds from the relay. The CC light came up on the dash right away. Now I can't even get the car to start. The nearest dealership for me is about 3.5 hours drive (Portland, OR.); I am going to have to get this going on my own if I can.

MWarren

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
well did u replace the relay to eliminate it.? IM wondering if theres a way to check the pump by unpluging it and putting power to it. Maybe someone else in here may know how to check it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well did u replace the relay to eliminate it.? IM wondering if theres a way to check the pump by unpluging it and putting power to it. Maybe someone else in here may know how to check it.
I went around town yesterday to NAPA and Autozone and they didn't have a relay. I think I will have to find one at Ricambi or order one from the dealership.

Matt

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
From what you're describing, some of the symptoms do seem to point to the F1 pump, on one hand (but the CPS code doesn't necessarily jive with that) but don't rule out the T-Bar handle... if that thing is broken, it can be making contact with a reverse setting & the default/forward setting at the same time... this can definitely cause the car to throw a code, as was the case with mine.

Next time you start the car, see if you can "make" it throw the CC light by wiggling the T-bar around... not lifting it up over the little "bump" to put it into reverse, but just wiggle it around in-place & see if the CC warning light comes on. If it does, then there's your problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what you're describing, some of the symptoms do seem to point to the F1 pump, on one hand (but the CPS code doesn't necessarily jive with that) but don't rule out the T-Bar handle... if that thing is broken, it can be making contact with a reverse setting & the default/forward setting at the same time... this can definitely cause the car to throw a code, as was the case with mine.

Next time you start the car, see if you can "make" it throw the CC light by wiggling the T-bar around... not lifting it up over the little "bump" to put it into reverse, but just wiggle it around in-place & see if the CC warning light comes on. If it does, then there's your problem.
I just went out this A.M. after I did a battery reset last night. The pump is dead silent, the cambio light is flashing. The relay makes a loud click. I will order a new relay and try that; if that doesn't work I will be pulling the pump. Well at least the car is in my garage vs. being stranded somewhere with this issue.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another thing to possibly check ...

If the level of CC fluid is low in its reservoir the shift indicator may blink. Is this the CC light you refer to? If so, put it on a lift and then clean and unscrew the cap on the res. It should be nearly to the top with the proper hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello All,

Today I got to spend more time on the car jacked the rear end up; Found the pump and hit it with a hammer about 5 times. I then opened the door, heard the pump prime and the car started right up. I decided to take it for a spin around my area (about 30 minutes.) The CC light never came on. I even turned off the car and started it up again; no issues. Do you think I should just replace the pump? I guess I need to start carrying a hammer, a floor jack at all times if this happens in the future.

Matt

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
what size hammer do you need for that job?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what size hammer do you need for that job?
I just used a normal 10 ounce claw hammer. I think I will get a smaller rubber mallet to put in the car for the job. I hammered at the base of the hydraulic line which is connected to the pump housing. Basically if you hit it there the vibrations will carry on through the pump housing and into the motor; it is kind of hard to hit the pump motor directly. I was surprised that it worked myself. Talk about a cheap and quick fix.... Still think I better buy a new cheap pump (around $400) then buy the Ferrari heat sink for the electric motor I found online on the Ricambi website and get it all replaced. I will feel better then when I take the longer road trips.

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts