Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have to replace a full set of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's (original equipment) soon on my 2006 Maserati coupe. Are the Michelin Pilot Sports any better at mileage? Pirellis are pretty worn at 7,000 miles. Or, about the same? Thanks. -Bob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Info from my experience with Maserati and Ferrari, lets me believe that Michelin will wear longer. Pirelli may drive better.
Svce Mgr from dealership agrees regarding longevity of Michelins.
I just ordered new F430 with Michelins.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have michelin ps2 on my car. replaced the regular pilot sports.

I asked your exact question at a maserati track event and was advised that the michelins perform slightly better than the pirelli's on the coupe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
I dislike the OE Pilot Sports. Not enough grip. Will definitely try PZero next time (have them on two other cars and love them!)

I have to say that I also do not rate the PS2, they are I suspect a harder compound and are probably much harder to get up to a useful temperature in every day driving. Wet weather grip is frankly atrocious. I am going to change to Goodyear F1 Eagles which I had on my M5 and which were very good finding masses of traction from a rear end that probably weighed slightly less than the Maser but with slightly more horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Disagree.
I had Pzero as OEM on my '06 GS and needed to replace them at 5K miles...I drive aggressively.
I have PS2 on now and the ride is superior, can't comment on tread wear yet though. Grip appears to be the same in my experience. I will not go back to those Pzero's ever....they are a big zero in my book!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
maseratifan said:
Disagree.
I had Pzero as OEM on my '06 GS and needed to replace them at 5K miles...I drive aggressively.
I have PS2 on now and the ride is superior, can't comment on tread wear yet though. Grip appears to be the same in my experience. I will not go back to those Pzero's ever....they are a big zero in my book!
I've heard the PS2's are a stronger tire (sidewalls) and a little harder. Not as sticky as P-Zeros but a better tire at high speeds. You don't leave as much rubber on the ground with the PS2's off the line and the MSP has a tendancy to kick in more readily. But I think that's a good thing!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The main difference between the original Pilot Sport and PS2 is that the former is directional and later is asymmetrical. I still prefer directional for better wet and dry performance (yep - more rubber on the road). But if you want more comfort and less road noise, get asymmetrical tires (asymmetric pitching reduces noise frequency peaks).

I am not a big fan of Pirelli, so I'm going to try the new Bridgestone RE-01R next. (TireRack has the 18" in stock now and is cheaper than PS2!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Attached is an independed (relatively uncorrupt) test of tyres by Which? According to this the tyres are very close in performance:

Michelin PS2 > Bridgstone > Pirelli Pzero > Goodyear

Michelin wins overall in wear.

- Toffe

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
the other thing people never look at is the PS2 tire weighs at minimum 2lb less then any other tire of competing size this is due to the use of carbon belts and a few other race derived manufacturing techiniques...they handle very well to anyone that hasn't driven a sports car with a set on it DO IT as soon as possible if I didn't run R compound tires I would use them

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on tires but here is my experience:

05 QP. Ordered the car with P Zero Rossos. They were okay and I had no other tire experience with this car to judge. Had to replace them at about 8,000 miles.

Put on a set of Michelin PS2s. Seemed very similar performance and had to replace those at about 9,000 miles.

Tried the Goodyear Eagles. Like them much better and got about 12K miles. Better ride, a bit less tramlining, good performance.

Someone convinced me to try the BG Goodrich gForce KDW-2. Put a set on and Wow! Grippiest tire I've ever owened plus a bonus of a very cool looking, aggressive open tread . Best ride of the bunch. I expected them to be noisey; based on the look of the tread, but I don't notice an increase in noise; might be thanks to the QPs sound damping. Got 18K miles on the first set and am happily on the second set now at 55K miles.

For what its worth, and much to my surprise, the Goodrichs were so much better for my tastes and my QP that I wouldn't go back to any of the others if they were offered to me for free.

Ken

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is an old battle! P vs M

I have been driving cars with low profile tires for about 10 years now! I know to sum not a long time! But im 27 so for most of my driving life I have had these tires! First car with low pro was a C70 came with M P.Sports and my first great experance with lowprofile high pro tires came when I tried to stop with a dusting of snow I slid thrugh the light! So those tires had to go so I put on P p7000 great tire and good weare I put the M's on a second set of wheels but they were shot quick! Then on my next two cars I got M and P and they both weare about the same! It's a fact of life with these tires the best I ever did is with P zero Rosso's on my clk500 15k on them but I have never liked the way M tires weare out abit quicker than the P! So now on my ML350 it came with M all season tires and at 20k they are totaly shot! So I am goig to put P's on asap!!! So I would stick to P but it is just as anything elese it all comes down to personal choice! Oh and as far a BStones they have said they make the F430 slower than it should be it can be a faster can with M's or P's!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think most agree that the PS2 is "the" tire
I also have PS2's and felt a huge difference from the OEM PS1's

·
Registered
39 Posts
BG Goodrich gForce KDW-2 ----- You have to be kidding me. I put a set on my M-Roadster and they are the worst tires I have ever had. I keep getting flats because the beads don't seal well. They slip early and they make a lot of noise. They are bad enough I want to sell the car. I truly hate these tires.

I have a set of Pzero's on my Ferrari. I like these a lot. The ride is good and they handle well. I haven't tried the PS2's yet but I will soon enough.

Sorry, no Mazer yet so I can't comment on that car directly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
BG Goodrich gForce KDW-2 ----- You have to be kidding me. I put a set on my M-Roadster and they are the worst tires I have ever had. I keep getting flats because the beads don't seal well. They slip early and they make a lot of noise. They are bad enough I want to sell the car. I truly hate these tires.

I have a set of Pzero's on my Ferrari. I like these a lot. The ride is good and they handle well. I haven't tried the PS2's yet but I will soon enough.

Sorry, no Mazer yet so I can't comment on that car directly.
Maybe there is a relationship between the life of your tires and your screen name?

·
Registered
530 Posts
these wouldn't have been my choice either, but the dealer I bought the car from had installed them so I thought I'd give them a try and I've been extremely impressed...

They've worn well with excellent grip wet or dry. Whod'a thunk it!

Someone convinced me to try the BG Goodrich gForce KDW-2. Put a set on and Wow! Grippiest tire I've ever owened plus a bonus of a very cool looking, aggressive open tread . Best ride of the bunch. I expected them to be noisey; based on the look of the tread, but I don't notice an increase in noise; might be thanks to the QPs sound damping. Got 18K miles on the first set and am happily on the second set now at 55K miles.

For what its worth, and much to my surprise, the Goodrichs were so much better for my tastes and my QP that I wouldn't go back to any of the others if they were offered to me for free.

Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe there is a relationship between the life of your tires and your screen name?
Probably. In the M I turn off the traction control and let it slide. Not that I go all that fast on the streets, I just don't slow down for corners. ;-)

In the F I can't really get anywhere near the edge on city streets. It would be MUCH too fast and just plain reckless.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts