Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Don't want to appear to be crowding this section but I have another question to ask of you vintage guys:

Has anyone fitted Pirelli P4000's to their classic Maser? I'm getting my wheels refurbed and decided to change the 30 year old tyres at the same time. I'm hoping it will transform the ride and handling. I have been looking at Michelin XWX's but they are hellish expensive at £230 each.

Any feedback on other brands would be appreciated too. 215/70 15's

Ta!

·
Registered
13 Posts
p4000

I just put the p4000's on my '67 Quattroporte and couldn't be happier. great handling and a smooth ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob that's just what I wanted to hear. The Ghibli tends to wander a bit if you're not giving it your undivided attention and I'm hoping they will sort it out. They are also a lot cheaper than the Michelin XWX at "only" £90 each.

One supplier came back saying that the XWX is a van tyre. I wonder if Michelin are getting creative with their marketing? I picked up one of their classic tyre brochures at the classic car show in Essen, Germany and it had this tyre listed. It could make sense; the speed some of these white van drivers go it could be more than up to the job :rolleyes:

Coops.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put the p4000's on my '67 Quattroporte and couldn't be happier. great handling and a smooth ride.
I just looked back a little way, you bought the car posted by Brad Fischer in Toronto a few weeks back. How is it working out? It looks pretty sweet in the pictures and that red leather looks rich and properly aged too. Nicer than mine I think. Where are you located in the world, did you drive it home from Toronto?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Coops,

Sometime ago I bought Pirelli's for my Sebring 2 at a very low price. I see that the webshop also has your tire size, the link is:
http://www.autobandenmarkt.nl/Zomerbanden.html

This is the dutch version of the shop but they are active in the UK as well.

Look at the prices!

Best regards,

Pieter Noordman

Holland
Thanks Pieter, they came out at £85.20 which is pretty good. The guy who is painting my wheels is doing them for £90.00 fitted which I am quite pleased with (plus I also dropped off the wheels with him on Saturday so it is pretty much a done deal.

Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping these new 'boots' will make a big difference to the way the car feels.

If you're ever crossing the North Sea then get in touch. I live just a few miles from the Port of Hull (North Sea Ferries) and I'd love to see your Sebring if your travelling to the UK.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Pirelli's

Got my wheels back at the weekend and quickly re-fitted them to the Ghibli. The size and profile look spot on and although it's impossible to find the Cinturato's in that size anymore, at least they are still Pirelli's and not the hyper expensive Michelins I had been considering.

First of all; straight line stability is transformed. It's tracking straight and true like a much younger car. 120 MPH felt like cruising whereas it used to loosen your fillings.
It was so easy to get the back end out with the hard old tyres. Now it grips much better with good turn-in and little understeer. The whole attitude of the car is changed.

If any of you guys are still running around on old rubber I'd recommend you change. When the old tyres where removed from the rims it really showed up the cracks in the sidewalls and between the treads. Combined with the ovalling and the lack of grip it was an accident waiting to happen.

The wheels, having been powder coated, do look better but I'm not sure the glossy finish suits the car. It's great on modern cars with smooth ally but on these semi rough magnesium cast wheels, particulary with some surface corrosion damage it just shows up the imperfections. Might have them matted down at some point if I can't live with it.

Overall though, a very worthwhile exercise. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I should have stepped in earlier, I have the Pirellis on my Islero and XWXs on my Ghibli SS, Khamsin, Mistral, Bora, Lele Marlboro, Jarama.

I prefer the XWXs as they feel more in character with the cars of that era. Price didn't enter into my choice of which tires I prefer. Given that the XWXs are 4 times the price of the Pirellis. Then I would opt for the Pirellis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being a Yorkshireman means price is always upper most in my mind :rolleyes:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the modern levels of grip afforded by the Pirelli's might be masking some of the cars original character but all I really have to go on is the way it felt on those old Cinturato's over which anything would have been preferable.

How would you rate your Islero against the Ghibli in terms of driveability, performance and general joy of ownership? The Islero is a great looking car and one I have admired for many years. If I was ever going to look into buying one I'd appreciate your evaluation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts