Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase winter tires for my QP and these two seem to be higher ranked than others. The Pirelli's have been recommend by the dealer and many people on this forum, but I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Michelin?

· Registered
142 Posts
While I generally stick Pirelli on both two and four wheelers, that is not the case when it comes to winter tires. Find a recent test with a comparable rim size and/or tyre profile, e.g. 16" and 18" do not compare well - but /35 profiles 17" and 19" might.
Then select from your preferred parameters - the test winner will be the best all rounder, but if your winter roads are mostly wet, then snow/ice results will be less relevant - and being winter tires (M+S) they will still get you through on the occasional snowy/icy days.

· Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Those are the exact two tires I've used for winter driving. While the Alpins were big improvements over the performance tires (no surprise) the Sottozeros are even more impressive and in nearly every way. In my experience, they have even greater stick on ice and snow AND they don't kill performance on dry roads. They're no P-Zeros but they stand up well when pushed. Highly recommended.

· Registered
250 Posts
I've used both--Sottozeros on the QP and Alpins on the DB7. Both are excellent and provide great traction during the winter. On the QP they are mounted to the factory 18 inch rims and I didn't notice much of a difference on dry pavement as compared to my P-Zero 18 inch rims. I currently have 20s as my standard wheel and there is noticeable difference when the 18 inch winter set goes on. The DB7 has 18 inch for both winter and summer.

While I don't have any complaints about either tire, I was caught in snowstorm in Pennsylvania with the QP/Sotozeros The Sottozeros provided amazing grip on both ice and snow and the vehicle always felt under control. The roads were mainly unplowed at the time and the snow height on the road actually ripped off the small mud guards on the QP. So from a real world review, they performed exceptionally well. I've not driven the Alpins in a similar extreme condition.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input. Most of my winter driving will be in colder temperatures (15-45 degrees Fahrenheit) and very wet conditions as I live in WA state, but it does snow in the lowlands a couple times a year which is my reason for considering these two tires. However, I hope to not be driving my QP in the snow unless caught off guard of course. For my purposes... very wet, semi-cold, and dry conditions, would you recommend the Michelin or Pirelli more? It sounds like either will work well and I am glad to hear you all have personal experience with them. Do you run the V, W, or Y rated tires? I would assume W or Y, but am curious if I could get away with V rated XL load.

· Registered
250 Posts
Here's the tire rack test results.

I'm not familiar with any winter tires that exceed a V/XL rating. I assume you'll have two sets of rims -- a primary set and a set for winter?

· Registered
142 Posts
Excellent link with relevant test results, much appreciated.
My Sottozero must have been version 2 and they were no good in snow - but quite good on wet roads, which is the condition for 90 days out of 100 in Denmark (very long winters ;-)

· Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I had Sottozero 2s and hardly slipped at all throughout the entire Chicago winter, never once getting stuck, which is amazing for a 450hp rear-wheel-drive car in the brutal winters of this city.

What the Tire Rack tests shows is that you probably can't go wrong with either.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Vincent Eng- Yes, I have two sets of wheels, one dedicated for summer (Stock 20") and the second (Stock 19") for winter. I confirmed by calling the Manufactures and both do offer a W and W/XL rated tire for winter. It is unlikely I will push winter tire anywhere near they performance limit, but on the dry cold days I do want to enjoy the car.

@Alfalund- It sounds like your winters are very similar in wetness to ours which can be brutal sometimes when you don't see sun or much of it for months at a time. Glad to hear your Pirelli's have done well in the wet stuff.

@Elambo- Yeah Chicago can be brutal in the winter and that is impressive you never got stuck! I agree that both will work great based on a number of reviews and in talking with a few local people, the newer Michelin may have a leg up in longevity and performance, but again this is all subjective.

For a change of pace I think I'll try the Michelin's this year....unless of course I can pick up the Pirelli's for a much lower price which is doubtful, but either way I will report back after the winter with a performance update. Thanks again for all the replies:)

· Registered
250 Posts
@Vincent Eng- Yes, I have two sets of wheels, one dedicated for summer (Stock 20") and the second (Stock 19") for winter. I confirmed by calling the Manufactures and both do offer a W and W/XL rated tire for winter. It is unlikely I will push winter tire anywhere near they performance limit, but on the dry cold days I do want to enjoy the car.
Interesting they now have a W/XL tire. However, based on the US version of their websites, it doesn't seem that speed rating is available for the QP fitment. Also, I suspect if there is a W/XL tire in the QP size, it would probably be very hard to source since TireRack, which generally has the largest selection, seems to only have V/XL rated tires. That said, according to the Michelin US website, there are no winter tires available that fit the QP and TireRack definitely has the Michelin Alpins. I guess you can also get W/XL tire using plus sizing. Tell us if you find a vendor.

· Premium Member
492 Posts
I am looking to purchase winter tires for my QP and these two seem to be higher ranked than others. The Pirelli's have been recommend by the dealer and many people on this forum, but I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Michelin?
hello , before i have pirelli tires, now I equip my maserati quattroporte , and my F430 with only Michelin here in europe winters are renowned Michelin tires I think they perform better than the Pirelli winters , now the winter come and many car equip michelin winters porsche panamera , lamborghini murcielago , the ferrari

the best tires winters it's the NOKIAN if you if you find these tires take it very very best
sweden finland

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.