Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started going to the track every now and then, the rubbers on my car have started to wear a bit.
Thinking that I would soon need to replace them and since I had the room for two tires inside a container that I was bringing down with merchandise I ordered a pair of Pilot Sport for the rears... I emphazised it was the Michelin Pilot Sport for an '04 Maserati CC that I wanted so I was expecting to get something like this:

...and this is what they sent me...

I now have the opportunity to bring the other two tires for the front to complete the set but I have not been able to make a positive ID of the ones they first sent, they look a lot like the PS2 but...

...obviously they are not PS2, I've looked all over the internet and have not been able to find a Pilot Sport with that design so here I am asking for your help guys... do any of you have an idea of what Pilto Sport I was sent???

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You want the Pilot Sport S2 or something. There's something after Sport in the name that doesn't show up on the sidewall.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just so you know, the Pilot's did keep a model name but change the tread pattern on a tire last year, and I know some places still had old stock hanging around. We had some confusion with a car we ordered a tire for that had a blowout on new tires and ran into the same problem. I think it was on a Porsche. From what I understood at the time the tread pattern changed, but the model name did not. The other problem was that not all of the sizes across the specific model changed. It sounded like they targeted specific sizes that manufacturers used as original equipment to change first.

I don't know if that is the problem you are running into, but its something to keep in mind when you chat with someone at a tire store. I think your best bet is to talk to someone that can look at pictures, while looking at an inventory piece.

- Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem......had a blow out and asked a tire firm to come out on a sat. morning - ended up with one of the Pilot Sports that you got sent. So 2 different tyres on the back.

basically Michelin discontinued one tread, the pilot sport 1 (your original) and replaced it with the other one, the Pilot Sport 2.

very expensive - needing 2 new rear tyres - they were barely used.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
sometimes i really wonder if people do things more complicated than it is.....
why you need to send a picture, etc etc? we already established that it does not look like the typical pilot sport.

the funny thing is, you have a product number clearly listed.
..and someone already did a search and said it is porsche OEM.

do a google search "michelin pilot sport 64854" yourself...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for your input guys.

M!, nope... not more complicated... being 1100+ miles away is complicated enough
being so far away I can't just run to the shop to ask for the right ones and I would not want my car looking like a Tire Rack catalog so I must make sure to get the very same design of the ones I have.

The link to the Michelin PDF file you posted has helped but now I'm a bit worried that Michelin might not make the same design in 235/40 ZR 18 that I need for the front... the only one that is Porsche OEM (and supposedly the same design) on 235/40 ZR 18 is the MSPN 70107 but it also says that is Maserati OEM and the MSPN 64854 is only for Porsche.

Just a while ago I was able to get a hold of the guy that sold the first pair www.mcpracing.com a place where my son buys stuff for his BMW. I got the email address and sent the picture posted above, I hope they find them... if not I might have to end up getting two PS2's for the front which look a little alike... more so after wearing up the thread at the track.

Right Lionel , something like the Pirelli PZero Corsa or the

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup will be my next set after I wear this ones out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
PacoSaca
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing