Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I read few times regarding the campain that Maserati had for pilot bearing replacement when the clutch is Ok but makes noise when you take off fast.
I spoke to my service manager and he never heard of it(maybe because the dealership is relatively new). Can any of you give me more specific information regarding the campain, so I can have some accurate info. when going back to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I posted copies of my service paperwork somewhere here a few months ago, you should be able to find it with some patience. It mentions the pilot bearing camapaign.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Doron,

Please check the thread posted on 12/10:

'04 Coupe Bearing Joint and Flashing Sun Icon
I experienced the same thing and got allot of very good feedback on this issue. Consequently, my dealer totally replaced the bearing at N/C, but guess what...it still makes the noise at times and they told me it would. They said don't sweat it, it wont go away completely until you replace the clutch and you still have at least 50% wear on this one -

sdscardino- (aka Scott)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Doron

There are two bearings of critical nature in the clutch mechanism.

The throw out bearing is the primary one. It takes a beating and is usually the one that gets noisey first. It activates the fingers on the pressure plate to release the clutch during shifts.

The pilot bearing is in the flywheel and supports the end of the transmission shaft. It's rare that this goes bad but it's a good idea to replace when the clutch is replaced.

I would not replace a pilot bearing w/o replacing a T/O bearing. That is nuts especially since the whole tranny has to come out to get to both bearings.

Don't let them sell you short. Replace both.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GCalo, wish I'd have read that before they replaced my throw out bearing b'c I'd have told them to do both, tho you think they'd know that and they did it at N/C and yes it is better now but you can def still hear the little squeal noise in low gear shifts at times and more so in cold weather...they told me at the dealer it wont go away completely until you replace the clutch and you still have well over 50% left on this one so unless that noise is bothering you to the tune of $5 grand just turn up the tunes a bit and enjoy the ride...it's not a huge deal but it would be nice if it weren't there at all...does anyone know how prevelant this is in Coupes and GSports..I hear it's fairly common and just "one of those things..."..

·
Registered
793 Posts
That is too bad indeed.

So for next time find a quality independant and he'll replace all the bearings with better units.

Hope it works out well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thx I will do that. Other than that little noise every so often she runs like a champ, absolutely perfect and this is my every day drivier so I have no complaints what so ever and if it stays that way until the clutch needs to be replaced it's a small price to pay but now I'll know better next time round or when I'm ready to trade up -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts