Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to installing my new wheels, BBS LM's (die-forged multi-piece). 19x8.5 front, 19x10 rear. Front weighs 25.1 and rear 25.8lbs (stock 19" GS were about 28 front and 30 rear). Tires on there are Toyo TR1's, not at all happy with them, replacing with Pilot Sports or GSD3's next week. The car really needs to be lowered now as the lighter wheels stand out more than the dark mercury ones did, I'm thinking 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear? Anyone know how many turns of the collars = 1"?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your black Maserati is going to be a serious car once it's lowered.

At least one member lowered & counted the number of turns (#)

The wheels look aggressive. Heavy of you to weigh them for us. Not the lightest things around, but decent for 19s.
Because tire weight affects acceleration and handling even more then wheel weight, I would choose Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 over Goodyear.
The PS2 tires are ~ 15% lighter and will make a nontrivial difference.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fred said:
Got a bigger picture?
Man-sized pictures, I feel like an insect about to be run over by the new wheels..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Looking good... very nice.

Looking at the pics, seems you've got your front bumper resprayed (?) but, if not, there is some evident orange-peel. Nothing you would not correct using Meguiars WD 3000 grit paper (go VERY smooth) and Scratch-X (to remove the WD leftover haze) followed by a good wax afterwards. You will get a mirror-like finish.

Ed

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, currently involved in a law suite about that front paint job, personally I feel the entire car should be repainted due to some other small scratches and some overspray, we'll see where it ends up. Right now I do enough daily driving that I'm going to eat up the front end with stone chips no matter what so until I get some 3M film on there, no going to fix it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CDF said:
Your black Maserati is going to be a serious car once it's lowered.

At least one member lowered & counted the number of turns (#)

The wheels look aggressive. Heavy of you to weigh them for us. Not the lightest things around, but decent for 19s.
Because tire weight affects acceleration and handling even more then wheel weight, I would choose Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 over Goodyear.
The PS2 tires are ~ 15% lighter and will make a nontrivial difference.
true, not the lightest wheel out there, but by far the strongest for a street application. I'm not professionaly racing and with all my daily driving, it's important to me to have something strong that will withstand the NE winter and potholes. Tire weight isn't a big issue for me for the winter months as high speed reliability with some traction in snow. The GSD3's have been great for me in the past with snow in BMW's, hoping to get a little bit of that traction with the Maser incase I get stuck out of state in a sudden storm. Have never been a fan of the Pilot Sports until recent (car delivered with them) and will probably put them on when the spring rolls around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts