Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the performance chip from ebay.. dont think I really need it but wondering if it's true a 40% gain in horse power 35%torque and smoother idle, fuel improvements...bla bla... $79.00...has anyone tried it I cant find any reviews

2,966 Posts
Posted in wrong section and no chip or software is gonna give you 35-40% more power...The people that make cars are pretty sharp...Plus there is no removable chip...J

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I realize this is not the appropriate section , but until ( and IF ) it's moved I can't help answering this. Jason's response is too polite and restrained. In addition to the non-removable chip issue, anyone claiming that a $ 79 chip , or any chip for that matter , can generate 40% HP and 35% Torque increases in a Maserati ( or Porsche, or Ferrari, or Aston Martin, etc, ) must be on some kind of brain-altering medication.. The assertion is so absurd it's beyond laughable... Even if they said a 10 % increase in HP and torque from just a chip, the claim would be "highly questionable" , but the numbers claimed are just bats*hit crazy !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize this is not the appropriate section , but until ( and IF ) it's moved I can't help answering this. Jason's response is too polite and restrained. In addition to the non-removable chip issue, anyone claiming that a $ 79 chip , or any chip for that matter , can generate 40% HP and 35% Torque increases in a Maserati ( or Porsche, or Ferrari, or Aston Martin, etc, ) must be on some kind of brain-altering medication.. The assertion is so absurd it's beyond laughable... Even if they said a 10 % increase in HP and torque from just a chip, the claim would be "highly questionable" , but the numbers claimed are just bats*hit crazy !
Love it!!! I'm not up on this web site not sure what it means that it's not in the right place... my apologies....not sure how to remove it either... but I thought the same I have a tuner for my f350 that makes a huge difference but when I seen that for 79 dollars I though I was either way behind in the tech world or another sucker getting ready to loose 79 dollars...thanks for saving me the shame of it all.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I’ve seen some sources who claim they can tune your GTS ‘ ECU ( you must send it to them ) and if my memory serves me correctly , I believe it was somewhere in the $ 600 + range . I don’t remember specifically what the numbers they claimed the tuning produces , I vaguely recall it said something like “ UP TO 100 hp “ which is a slick way of having an out if the results are actually half of that , or less. They had dyno charts to support their claim, but as you know dyno testing can be controlled to the point where variances between one dyno and the next , or the conditions in which the test is conducted vs the next , can be significant . But even if you get + 50 hp on this car for $ 600, that would be a steal . I think Maserati / Ferrari with millions upon millions of dollars spent on research and engineering , squeezed every pony and ft/lb of torque out of this engine, so anything short of a supercharger or turbo added in, is unlikely to give it anything noticeable , if at all . IMO.
This is not a Honda or a Ford, or Chevy which actually are much more conducive to engine mods for added power, some of it a lot more ..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct...the car is awsome...not much room for improvement...wish the nav system was touch screen and bluetooth for music ...but the sound of the engine is better than most of playlists anyway.. I guess the point might be they want you to focus more on the road than the radio ...better for everybody...

·
Registered
153 Posts
So one exception... turbo charged cars. You can get "large" hp gains with "chips" because they simply allow more boost than stock. Even 2lbs to 5lbs more boost will give you a real increase in power you can feel. But its not gonna be a $79 ebay chip. Most good ones are not plug & play and dyno tuning is usually required for big gains.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
So one exception... turbo charged cars. You can get "large" hp gains with "chips" because they simply allow more boost than stock. Even 2lbs to 5lbs more boost will give you a real increase in power you can feel. But its not gonna be a $79 ebay chip. Most good ones are not plug & play and dyno tuning is usually required for big gains.
Correct. Similarly with Superchargers, but to a lesser extent. Turbos leave quite a bit of room for gains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True I have my f350 I upgtaded the turbo and had it dynoed along with the sct programmer.. it was around 400.00 and I can set a few different applications... what a difference all that made but like you said the 4.7 doesnt require much improvement... I think you can do something with the exhaust but why...I tried the bigger sound chambers but didnt like them.. I put the original ones back on after one drive.. they made it sound more like a muscle car... I prefer the formula car sound ... its a little more unique... that would be cool if it had a turbo though...

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Not sure anyone has a turbo for our cars , Novitech has the Supercharger but 1) I think the price + install maybe north of $ 30 K , 2) you can’t pass emissions in probably most of the U.S. states with it ( certainly not in Kaliforniastan ) and 3) get ready for a new insurance premium surprise .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes.. just seen that video of the supercharged dyno run.. the guy keeps stepping back further and further ..unbeleivable I thought it was going to blow as well... 640 + HP...Some of the new cars are coming out stock with that and more but the Maserati is a true work of art.. there isn't a bad angle anywhere on the car.. inside or out. As I was getting a ticket for tinted windows I put the top down and the CHP almost forgave my ticket admiring the car...i told him look no more tinted windows....he said good try but the car stood out from the crowd like a peice of candy in a bowl of oatmeal
... then walked around the car several times with a huge smile on his face.. I hope I dont run across him again.. I just paid the ticket...

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Meh, they can come stock with 2,000 hp for all I care , I’m not going to drive a Dodge Demon or a Nissan GTR , of any other boxy-looking junk like that. Yawn. But that’s me, I love curves - one reason I don’t even care all that much for Lamborghinis design , way too angular and exaggerated shapes for my taste . I’d rather drive a completely underpowered Dino than some coffin-looking super fast car .. But hey, it’s all subjective though, so to each his own, as the adage goes ; beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve seen some sources who claim they can tune your GTS ‘ ECU ( you must send it to them ) and if my memory serves me correctly , I believe it was somewhere in the $ 600 + range . I don’t remember specifically what the numbers they claimed the tuning produces , I vaguely recall it said something like “ UP TO 100 hp “ which is a slick way of having an out if the results are actually half of that , or less. They had dyno charts to support their claim, but as you know dyno testing can be controlled to the point where variances between one dyno and the next , or the conditions in which the test is conducted vs the next , can be significant . But even if you get + 50 hp on this car for $ 600, that would be a steal . I think Maserati / Ferrari with millions upon millions of dollars spent on research and engineering , squeezed every pony and ft/lb of torque out of this engine, so anything short of a supercharger or turbo added in, is unlikely to give it anything noticeable , if at all . IMO.
This is not a Honda or a Ford, or Chevy which actually are much more conducive to engine mods for added power, some of it a lot more ..
Actually, not quite true of any motor. The primary limiter to power output is longevity and, of course, emissions. Eurocompulsion can clone the stock ECU and tune it for another 50 HP. What they are doing is getting rid of the overly rich factory tune designed for people that run junk gas (or places in the world where all gas is junk). You can also tune for 93 octane which, in and of itself can be 10-20 HP easy on many powerplants. BTW tunes will also improve your mpgs. Yes, they leave that on the table for longevity's and emissions sake etc.

My 2012 Jaguar XK was 385 HP stock. ETG tuned it to 415 HP and power under the curve was a huge improvement. Best part was the highway mileage improved from 22 to 25 mpgs.

But the Ebay chip thing is truly laughable. You pay nothing, you get nothing. We haven't used chips in 20+ years AFAIK. Tuning is an art form.

2,966 Posts
Actually, not quite true of any motor. The primary limiter to power output is longevity and, of course, emissions. Eurocompulsion can clone the stock ECU and tune it for another 50 HP. What they are doing is getting rid of the overly rich factory tune designed for people that run junk gas (or places in the world where all gas is junk). You can also tune for 93 octane which, in and of itself can be 10-20 HP easy on many powerplants. BTW tunes will also improve your mpgs. Yes, they leave that on the table for longevity's and emissions sake etc.

My 2012 Jaguar XK was 385 HP stock. ETG tuned it to 415 HP and power under the curve was a huge improvement. Best part was the highway mileage improved from 22 to 25 mpgs.

But the Ebay chip thing is truly laughable. You pay nothing, you get nothing. We haven't used chips in 20+ years AFAIK. Tuning is an art form.
2012 XK is not part of the Coyote engine family...It is own deal, but still a Ford engine...Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks Jason. I was mis educated on that topic but believed it because of the 5.0 configuration and seeing FoMoCo on things like the filter housing cover.
So AJ V8 series 3 is not same family? Learned something today.

Jason, back to the topic, do you think EC tuning of the Maserati GTS for 50 HP ~500HP) will result in a better running motor as it did with the Jag? It will ONLY see 93 octane fuel, Tier 1.Will it be noticeable?? Will it enhance highway mileage? which, of course is the Achilles at present.

2,966 Posts
No, you have one family of basically AJ 26,27, 33 etc....This is Ford products 3.9 and then Jaguar 4.0 engines...Including Aston engines, but that is a different deal really.. They later would become 4.2, and 4.4s...The later engines are AJ133s...They are totally different and are much more advanced but have more issues...We do several sets of updated timing chain rails a month...Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts