Maserati Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do receive mostly positive attention in my GT S, and not just the guys (like when I owned two previous GT-R's). One recent example was after dropping my son off to school last week and as I was accompanying him to the building, my son noticed a man and a boy were looking at the car. A father and a son had gotten out of their vehicles and were checking out my vehicle big time. But there is still a fair amount of people who barely conceal their contempt at seeing me in the Maserati. And those are men and women alike. The men in this category tend to be pickup truck owners or someone in a beater. The women are in all forms of grocery getters and typically middle-aged. Who knows, maybe to these people they think a Maserati is an Italian exotic car (well, it is), and so expensive the owner must be a dirt bag. At those times, I wish I could telepathically let those people know, hey, I joined the military right out of high school, and served for 20 years, so give me a break.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
So a colleague at work walked over as I was leaving yesterday afternoon and she said : what a beautiful car, great choice ! I thanked her of course, and then she continued: glad you bought this and not a Ferrari . To which I replied : what' s wrong with a Ferrari ?! And she said : Ferraris scream oh, look at me , I have money and going through a mid life crisis. The Maserati is a much more sophisticated car, a subtle way to still show off .

Wait, did I just get a backhanded compliment and she called me middle aged subtle show off ?! lol
But interesting perception of what kind a person drives a Maserati, as opposed to a Ferrari... ? ( by at least one person out there.. )

And I love Ferraris, just not convinced they're worth double or triple the price of our GTs, new or used..

p.s. she drives a M5 , so pretty well acquainted with somewhat understated ultra-performance cars

·
Registered
461 Posts
So a colleague at work walked over as I was leaving yesterday afternoon and she said : what a beautiful car, great choice ! I thanked her of course, and then she continued: glad you bought this and not a Ferrari . To which I replied : what' s wrong with a Ferrari ?! And she said : Ferraris scream oh, look at me , I have money and going through a mid life crisis. The Maserati is a much more sophisticated car, a subtle way to still show off .

Wait, did I just get a backhanded compliment and she called me middle aged subtle show off ?! lol
But interesting perception of what kind a person drives a Maserati, as opposed to a Ferrari... ? ( by at least one person out there.. )

And I love Ferraris, just not convinced they're worth double or triple the price of our GTs, new or used..

p.s. she drives a M5 , so pretty well acquainted with somewhat understated ultra-performance cars
Next time you see her:

You: Wow I'm so glad you didn't buy a mercedes..

Her: Ah ok thanks really why?

You: Because mercedes just screams completely boring, no excitement, no passion not sure what to do with my money, following the heard et cetera.

Her: Er ok

You: Yeah a BMW is just slightly less boring shows you are a little less boring, not as boring as the typical mercedes driver but still kinda boring

Her: walks away

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I agree that Mercedes ( owned two or three over the years.. ) and BMW ( drove quite a few - mostly Ms ), including all of their hyper-performance models are still very uninspiring ( aka boring ) cars.
However, not too bad having a 4-door daily driver / grocery run vehicle with 550 HP that takes you from 0-60 in 3.7 secs and the Q mile in the low-mid 12s...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Next time you see her:

You: Wow I'm so glad you didn't buy a mercedes..

Her: Ah ok thanks really why?

You: Because mercedes just screams completely boring, no excitement, no passion not sure what to do with my money, following the heard et cetera.

Her: Er ok

You: Yeah a BMW is just slightly less boring shows you are a little less boring, not as boring as the typical mercedes driver but still kinda boring

Her: walks away

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Soooooooo.....is that your perception of a person who drives a Maserati, then?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I traded in a '17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet that I owned for only two months, to buy a '15 GT S with a little over 5K miles on it. The C63 was a tecnological marvel, fast, and powerful. But it just didn't "do" anything for me. When I would see the vehicle in a parking lot, it just looked like all the other black MB vehicles there. My GT S, on the other hand, instills passion in me, and when I see it in my garage or in a parking lot, I just LOVE seeing it and can't wait to get inside and drive it. Back to the OP, I'm sure people have varying perceptions of Maserati owners. Some will assume you're a jerk, you don't deserve to have such nice things, why can't I have something nice like that, etc. But then there are others who just love the car and its styling, lines, and Italian flair. All in all, I have to be careful where I park my GT S, so as to not give someone an "excuse" to park too close to me and ding my door, or key it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I traded in a '17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet that I owned for only two months, to buy a '15 GT S with a little over 5K miles on it. The C63 was a tecnological marvel, fast, and powerful. But it just didn't "do" anything for me. When I would see the vehicle in a parking lot, it just looked like all the other black MB vehicles there. My GT S, on the other hand, instills passion in me, and when I see it in my garage or in a parking lot, I just LOVE seeing it and can't wait to get inside and drive it. Back to the OP, I'm sure people have varying perceptions of Maserati owners. Some will assume you're a jerk, you don't deserve to have such nice things, why can't I have something nice like that, etc. But then there are others who just love the car and its styling, lines, and Italian flair. All in all, I have to be careful where I park my GT S, so as to not give someone an "excuse" to park too close to me and ding my door, or key it.
Well said

·
Registered
691 Posts
The perception definitely depends on location - I live 100 miles from the nearest dealer and so maybe 10 people own a Maserati in my city of 500,000.

I agree with this. Here in the Portland, Maine area with no dealer for 2.5 hrs AND outside the State of Maine itself, the perception is that it is truly a rare and unique "exotic".

After owning it for almost a year and speaking with many owners of Ferrari's and Lambo's I know it is really an MSRP overpriced Gran Tourer.

But the above being stated the perception by the average "non-car enthusiast" is on of awe when they see it.

It will be our little secret!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I was in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach recently, areas where Ferraris, Lamorghinis, high end Porsches , Bentleys , and multiple other exotics are commonplace - both at hotels and at restaurants the valets always parked the Maserati in the very front "display showcase" row . At one of the restaurants the valets moved a McLaren from the front to the back, so they can put my GT in its place, which was the only spot left up there, next to a Ferrari 599 and 918 ! I thought I'd bust out laughing when I saw what they did moving the McLaren to an obscured spot , for my car . At least in their mind ( and these are guys who have become blasé to $ 200 - $ 500 K + cars they park every day ) the Maserati deserved that podium placement . So a little off topic because it has less to do with the perception of what kind of person drives a Maserati, and more about the perception of what a Maserati is .
But as a side note, I did have it in sport mode and downshifted to first gear as I pulled into the valet lots , so the car certainly made its presence known !! I'm sure the growl contributed quite a bit to the looks of the car :) .

·
Registered
16 Posts
My son and I rarely post but I like to follow and read info as we are currently trying to sell his 89biturbo spyder. He's into flying (flight school) and 22 yrs old.
Did his solo last summer.
Try having a maz in "Winterpeg"......where you can only drive it May-maybe Oct...then it is away for winter.

I really enjoyed the comments about how owners are perhaps perceived.
The way I look at it is similar.
People will always judge.
Those that truly love Masers,IMHO, have v. good taste:)
The cars are unusual-yes, but that makes them all the more fascinating. Maybe 3-4 newer ones here in Wpg.

Let it go and just enjoy.

Cheers!
Mom to a car crazed son.
(drives a 1992 rhdrive Mazda rx7- beautiful styling "efini", the 89 maser & a beater 87 Chrysler N Yorker (baby blue) ha!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach recently, areas where Ferraris, Lamorghinis, high end Porsches , Bentleys , and multiple other exotics are commonplace - both at hotels and at restaurants the valets always parked the Maserati in the very front "display showcase" row . At one of the restaurants the valets moved a McLaren from the front to the back, so they can put my GT in its place, which was the only spot left up there, next to a Ferrari 599 and 918 ! I thought I'd bust out laughing when I saw what they did moving the McLaren to an obscured spot , for my car . At least in their mind ( and these are guys who have become blasé to $ 200 - $ 500 K + cars they park every day ) the Maserati deserved that podium placement . So a little off topic because it has less to do with the perception of what kind of person drives a Maserati, and more about the perception of what a Maserati is .
But as a side note, I did have it in sport mode and downshifted to first gear as I pulled into the valet lots , so the car certainly made its presence known !! I'm sure the growl contributed quite a bit to the looks of the car :) .
LOVE IT!

That is one of the things I love about my GT it is special, not common and everybody loves the looks of it. As a result it punches way over it's weight class on the street...

101 - 112 of 112 Posts