Maserati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Thanks!
You Merak must have been a very early car, most probably a Euro-spec version, as I don't think the factory began building US-spec cars until 1974, or late-1973 at the earliest.
Sure, vey possible. There were quite a few grey market cars back then ( German mostly ) , although I don't know if that grey market also included cars from Italian makers, especially prestigious exotics. But since that particular car had a rather "mysterious" history to start with, and considering I did not buy it from a dealer, nor the previous owner, when coupled with the fact that it was in an accident and in a questionable condition, it could very well have been a European allocation car which somehow ended up in Cleveland . I only saw only one other Maserati ( not sure what model it was ) during the entire decade I lived there .

·
Registered
810 Posts
U guys are young...I am 40 and in over 20 yrs of car ownership I never imagine I will buy a Maser till the GT came about.

I guess people's impression of Maser owner is
- rich but not rich enough for Ferrari or Lambo.
- car enthusiast who like to be different so he stays away from Porsche
These are good reasons. Especially the last one. Maserati is someone who wants to be different and values Italian style. Very similar buy to Jaguar, but wants something Italian.

·
Registered
698 Posts
These are good reasons. Especially the last one. Maserati is someone who wants to be different and values Italian style. Very similar buy to Jaguar, but wants something Italian.
I can honestly say (after 3 weeks) that I was NOT prepared for a number of looks, pictures, thumbs up, comments, questions and "That's Sick Man!" expressions I get EVERY time I got out.

Like first #1 hit single on the charts and your world is upside down with groupies!

.....oh and I love every minute of it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can honestly say (after 3 weeks) that I was NOT prepared for a number of looks, pictures, thumbs up, comments, questions and "That's Sick Man!" expressions I get EVERY time I got out.

Like first #1 hit single on the charts and your world is upside down with groupies!

.....oh and I love every minute of it!
I can honestly say that this must be location specific as in my area I've rarely received a second glance in my 13 months of ownership. Frankly who cares? I bought the car for me....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can honestly say that this must be location specific as in my area I've rarely received a second glance in my 13 months of ownership. Frankly who cares? I bought the car for me....
NYCers are too cool to drool over a car .... ;)

But it is color dependent, my GTMC was black and was barely noticed, I wrapped it in a Cosmic Blue and now it gets more looks and comments than before.

If it was red like tasnam's the response from people would be wild I am sure!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
NYCers are too cool to drool over a car .... ;)

But it is color dependent, my GTMC was black and was barely noticed, I wrapped it in a Cosmic Blue and now it gets more looks and comments than before.

If it was red like tasnam's the response from people would be wild I am sure!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I think you are correct MaserMC regarding the ROSSO - it tends to stand out...and yes the NYCers think they are too cool...hahaha

Here is my 2016 GT the day I picked it up

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think you are correct MaserMC regarding the ROSSO - it tends to stand out...and yes the NYCers think they are too cool...hahaha

Here is my 2016 GT the day I picked it up
That is a gorgeous car, love the black wheels and red is just stunning!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love this question and think about it every time this thread comes up.

o We are a different breed and we know it.
o We want people to know we are different but in some way we don't want to shout it with cliched cars such as Lambos or Ferraris
o We are not on a quest for perfection in every way hence our lack of interest in the Porsche lemmings
o The way the car looks and makes us feel is important, once again hence our lack of interesting in being a Porsche lemming
o Other more established brands such as Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche et cetera have such strong brand identities but we want something a little mysterious and unknown
o Maseratis say beauty, a recognition that beauty is flawed with an appreciation for Europe
o When we get in our favorite car we want a mistress not a wife.

o At the end of the day we love that feeling when you pick up the keys and without even getting in your feel your heart racing, I am feeling that right now as I consider which car to take.

The Hell with it, it's Friday I'm taking the Maserati!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I love this question and think about it every time this thread comes up.

o We are a different breed and we know it.
o We want people to know we are different but in some way we don't want to shout it with cliched cars such as Lambos or Ferraris
o We are not on a quest for perfection in every way hence our lack of interest in the Porsche lemmings
o The way the car looks and makes us feel is important, once again hence our lack of interesting in being a Porsche lemming
o Other more established brands such as Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche et cetera have such strong brand identities but we want something a little mysterious and unknown
o Maseratis say beauty, a recognition that beauty is flawed with an appreciation for Europe
o When we get in our favorite car we want a mistress not a wife.

o At the end of the day we love that feeling when you pick up the keys and without even getting in your feel your heart racing, I am feeling that right now as I consider which car to take.

The Hell with it, it's Friday I'm taking the Maserati!
10,000% Agree :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have owned and loved so many types of cars over the years, but none of them excited the emotions like fine Italian machines...especially Ferrari and Maserati. Like many folks now days, I work for someone else, am over-stressed, and under-paid....I'm just a number on a page.

I have owned and loved so many types of cars over the years, but none of them excited my emotions like fine Italian machines...especially Ferrari and Maserati. We don't really "own" these machines....we are their "caretaker". And anywhere I would go...and interact with other people, I would always try to be a good ambassador for these fine cars. I'm always polite, I always listen, I try to educate where I can...and no matter what others may say...and I'm always respectful (sometimes just tolerant) of others opinions.

Now from my personal point of view...I feel it is a privilege to have a fine Italian car in the garage. After a hard day's work, I would go into the garage and flip on the lights...and there she is! I appreciate the style and beauty and just stare at her for a few minutes. Then I open the door and slide inside, and immediately I'm greeted by the smell of all the fine leather, and take in all of the "uniqueness" and beauty of Italian interior design. The I insert the key, and with great anticipation I hear the starter "whir" and there is a loud Bark...!!!....then things settle down to a nice Growl at idle. If your not smiling by now....you must be dead...!!!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I was at the local dealer for the annual service and in the working stall adjacent to where my 2013 GTSport was being worked on, they had this ( pictured below ). Considering a La Ferrari sold for $ 7 million at an auction last year , my first thought was about the perception of bringing a " lowly " Maserati in there ..must be owned by a poverty-stricken person, lol. By comparison of course .. Interesting they had tape over the license plate so none of the other customers walking in with their lesser Ferraris and Maseratis can search to see to whom that mansion-priced car might be registered ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Oh man, how does this happen ? This is the second time I posted a photo and the orientation was either upside down or sideways rotated . No clue how to correct that in the post, it's perfectly upright when opening in my photo files.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
oh man, how does this happen ? This is the second time i posted a photo and the orientation was either upside down or sideways rotated . No clue how to correct that in the post, it's perfectly upright when opening in my photo files.
0:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was at the local dealer for the annual service and in the working stall adjacent to where my 2013 GTSport was being worked on, they had this ( pictured below ). Considering a La Ferrari sold for $ 7 million at an auction last year , my first thought was about the perception of bringing a " lowly " Maserati in there ..must be owned by a poverty-stricken person, lol. By comparison of course .. Interesting they had tape over the license plate so none of the other customers walking in with their lesser Ferraris and Maseratis can search to see to whom that mansion-priced car might be registered ..

How does one do a license plate search?
(I am in Maine, would be curious how to do it)

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Thanks Dave !
Tasnam, I'm not sure if even in Ca. you can simply run a search on the DMV website, but I know there are various inexpensive ( $ 10 - $ 25 ) online pay-per-search services which will provide you with just about any info you want on any given person, based merely on a license plate number . No idea where they get their info but they'll find names, addresses, employer , dates of birth, criminal records, etc. Scary, I heard they can even obtain and disclose social security numbers, but somehow I'm not surprised ..
The other method of course is to contact the DMV and tell them someone with a red La Ferrari , license plate "xyz113" left some personal item behind at the local Starbucks and you wanted to return it to them but don't know who they are or how to get a hold of them ..a rather dishonest act to commit , but there are those without scruples ..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks Dave !
Tasnam, I'm not sure if even in Ca. you can simply run a search on the DMV website, but I know there are various inexpensive ( $ 10 - $ 25 ) online pay-per-search services which will provide you with just about any info you want on any given person, based merely on a license plate number . No idea where they get their info but they'll find names, addresses, employer , dates of birth, criminal records, etc. Scary, I heard they can even obtain and disclose social security numbers, but somehow I'm not surprised ..
The other method of course is to contact the DMV and tell them someone with a red La Ferrari , license plate "xyz113" left some personal item behind at the local Starbucks and you wanted to return it to them but don't know who they are or how to get a hold of them ..a rather dishonest act to commit , but there are those without scruples ..
If your local DMV is a state organization I wouldn't do that, knowingly making a false statement to a state of federal official may be a felony under 18 U.S. Code § 1001

:surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
The perception definitely depends on location - I live 100 miles from the nearest dealer and so maybe 10 people own a Maserati in my city of 500,000. I work at the local state university, and I would bet $100 that I am the only person in the 100-year history of the school who ever drove a Maserati to work daily. This does get noticed on campus.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't recommending the second method ( I'm sure it's at least a misdemeanor if not a felony ) it was just a remark more or less in jest , that's why I said one would have to be unscrupulous to do that ..on top of it all you may even be categorized as a stalker .. The main use for those inquiries ( to state or law enforcement agencies ) is for tracking hit and run violators ... Heck , even the paid service to get someone's info is creepy , but clearly people must do stuff like that if the dealer felt compelled to tape the license plate, or maybe the owner requested it . Though he has to drive out some day, lol, and someone will make note of the plate especially if it's a customized one ..

81 - 100 of 112 Posts