Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only had the "daddy's car" comment once, and I didn't catch it right off the bat when the person said it.

I driving at a mall and had a piece of trash I wanted to throw away. I pulled up to an entrance of the mall and put the hazards on and parked. I was "parked" in the lanes you drive in when you're driving down a parking lot. No biggie I thought, I'll just throw away this trash real quick and run back to my car.

So anyways as I come back, a mere 20 seconds later, I see a man, his wife, and his kids (sadly, this guy is procreating...). I am just about to enter my car and he says "real nice, in daddy's car".

I can only assume he was upset with my temporary parking in the lane. I heard him say it, but at first didn't think anything of it. Then it hit me, so I looked at them walking into the entrance and his wife was giving me evil looks. I met eyes with the guy and gave him a friendly smile and a wave.

Then proceeded to drive off in "daddy's car".

·
5,887 Posts
This whole comparison between Ferrari and Maserati seems a little silly. Sure they share some designs (engine/transmission for example), which is very cool, but they are very different cars aimed at different buyers.
Very well said. Ferraris and Maseratis are certainly not substitute goods.

isn't there a Ferrari forum or A-M forum you'd prefer to hang out on? You seem pretty down on Masers.:177:
I don't think anyone here is down on Maserati. If we all didn't love Maseratis, we probably wouldn't own them ;) With that said, I think most of us are able to see the value in other car makes/models and understand Maserati isn't the be-all end-all of the motorsports world.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The reaction I get has always been good, I think in general the maserati is a relatively un-known exotic brand until recent years, for most of the regular people out there.

Most people just say wow, because the car is beautiful more than because they know the brand. I think they always see us as having class, and real taste.

I love lamborghinis for what they represent- bad boy toys, and I see one in my near future (planned) before I even get the ferrari. Its raw, exotic look at me now designed, and just a beast. Unfortunately a lot of haters out there look at is a I got money and I'm obnoxious brand. I don't think so at all. It has is niche.

Ferrari is a more F1 racing heritage track oriented beauty, and has a built in audience. I consider my gransport somewhat beating with a ferrari heart being that they share the same engine and it was made by ferrari when they had controlling interest, so its a little rough around the edges and just a pocket beast- ferrari if you ask me. I would like to get the F430 later on, when they become lower In price.

Aston martin- I like the james bond heritage. But personally I love italian cars for their lines and quirks. But again, this has its niche as well. Polished, refined beast in a tuxedo.

Everyone knows the ferrari and lamborghini from all the movies and television exposure, cause I'm sure people don't see them enough in the streets. I think the maserati evokes a sense of exclusivity paired with luxury compared to none. Its a gentlemens brand, with flair and sexiness that is not comparable to ferrari or lamborghini because it has a totally different identity to those two, and isn't even trying to compare at all. Maserati is maserati, a true luxury GT touring car, and the better for it.

I think when people see the car and the reaction I get, is always the same. Awe, respect, and they plain think the car is really sexy. Just the right balance of luxury and sportines for me. I don't want or need a road racing car only. I want to be in a luxurious interior, and be able to spank other cars on the road if I feel like it. That's the reaction for me-

·
Registered
73 Posts
maseratisportgts,

Nice way to frame up the maser: "I want to be in a luxurious interior, and be able to spank other cars on the road if I feel like it"... That to me typifies a Maserati...

Matt

·
Registered
633 Posts
I really like this comment as well, "Its a gentlemens brand, with flair and sexiness that is not comparable to ferrari or lamborghini because it has a totally different identity to those two, and isn't even trying to compare at all. Maserati is maserati, a true luxury GT touring car, and the better for it."

I get more comments from woman on my car telling me, "beautiful car" then I have ever seen woman notice a car of any kind in my life. Maserati is the car for the working executive that wants a luxury and exclusive car that is drivable everyday. A Ferrari or Lambo is a boys toy and I love them for that. They are not cars I would drive everyday to commute in or go on a road trip in though. The Maserati offers that to their owners. Exclusive style and luxury interiors and gorgeous engines (I want to drive mine with the hood off). For years the Ferrari interiors were just terrible, but who cares? Everyone is looking at the body styling and listening to the engine. But a Maserati is just class.

I am 35, but look like I could be mid to late 20's. Haven't heard the daddy's car comment yet, but expect it will happen. So far just great compliments and some of the yonger guys that have seen it wanting me to rev it up at the lights or one group telling me it is the sickest car they have every seen. So young guys telling me its "sick looking" and woman telling me its "beautiful". Thats all good to me.

And congrats on the GT. If I was early 20's and driving that, I would be nothing but proud. The car if for you, not anyone else, so at the end of the day, just keep that in mind and take the good with the bad if there is any.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perception of the person who drivers a Maserati

QUOTE I'm 23 and lucky enough to be able to own a granturismo but im curious to know what people I meet for the first time are thinking when they see my car or find out what kind of car I drive. Your thoughts? UNQUOTE]

Notwithstanding the title of this thread, the question you seem to be asking is 'what do people think of YOU (Gigiti) driving a Maserati ?' That strikes me as being an incredibly narcissistic question and, as we cant possibly 'know' you it is totally unanswerable. Why should you care what other people think ? Based on your question I would probably think you are an **sehole. But hey, thats just my personal opinion and I dont know you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The only problem I have with a 23 year old owning a new GT is what do they have to look forward to when they are 40 or 50 years old!
Laying down 250k and racing the Granturisimo MC in Europe, the Ferrari Challenge, The world finals in Italy, one of the select few to participate in the FXX events. I can go on...:)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Q:
michaeladler said:
The only problem I have with a 23 year old owning a new GT is what do they have to look forward to when they are 40 or 50 years old!
A: Retirement in a nice and cushy GranCabrio.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maserati and people

Some people hate, others love it, some will give you thumbs up, some will look with envy. Pity on them.

What is unique about the Maserati is the understated beauty of the design and finish, inside and outside, coupled with a highly performing driving car. There are faster, better, more expensive cars, but none has that quality of essential beauty that our beloved Maserati's have.

Surely you and your date will get more attention if she wore a black party skirt (skirts that fail to cover much if anything) and 6" thigh high boots, but is it really sexier than a little black dress?

Most people cannot tell if you have a Prada suit on because it is understated, but you do know what you have and you feel it when you have it. Owning a Maserati feels the same.

The car does not need to scream .. look at me, look at me, like my 2 year old .. it just knows it is beautiful.

George: Italians do not wear tuxedos, so no tux on your car

G

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some people hate, others love it, some will give you thumbs up, some will look with envy. Pity on them.

What is unique about the Maserati is the understated beauty of the design and finish, inside and outside, coupled with a highly performing driving car. There are faster, better, more expensive cars, but none has that quality of essential beauty that our beloved Maserati's have.

Surely you and your date will get more attention if she wore a black party skirt (skirts that fail to cover much if anything) and 6" thigh high boots, but is it really sexier than a little black dress?

Most people cannot tell if you have a Prada suit on because it is understated, but you do know what you have and you feel it when you have it. Owning a Maserati feels the same.

The car does not need to scream .. look at me, look at me, like my 2 year old .. it just knows it is beautiful.

George: Italians do not wear tuxedos, so no tux on your car

G
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey Gabriele, No tux but my sexy wife in her sexy black dress always works for me!

Thats all the accessories I need, and yes I'm sure people think we look cool in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Opinion

I really like this site. For the longest time i saw maserati as something very sleek and a ferrari for a not so ferrari price. I almost bought an 02 spyder but it was say junk, in terms of the f1 gearbox and rather fragile build quality. But with the gran turismo the whole idea changes. A Maserati Gran Turismo is i believe the most beautiful car in the world and in history of motoring. I believe it says power, passion, sexy, beauty and absolute coolness with some conservatism thrown in which equals total bad ass. I am 20 years old and will soon own one of these works of art and believe nothing comes close to the beauty and overall craftsmanship you get for the money. Absolutly a real drivers car, i do not know what they would make to surpass it, it seems the design would last forever. I even think fiat made a mistake because if this car had about 600 bhp standard, then a ferrari would never sell again. The best looking car this century! Also the guy that got it at 23 shoot me your email i would love to know what you do and we might be able to swap some ideas/ventures.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My perception of a Maserati driver is:

Quattroporte, a 50 or over professional male that makes over 350K per year and has a wife and kids in college or already professionals. He drinks scotch, golfs and smokes cigars occasionally.

GT, a guy in mid 30's to 40 with a good income, probably 350K or higher. Single and dates multiple chicks and his next car is a Lambo Gallardo. He smokes weed occasionally and likes to drink Vodka Red Bulls.

Not really sure why, but that's my own perception.

As for the question: "what do they have to look for when they're 40 or 50?" Ok that's 25 years, yes? Probably a 1,000HP hybrid that weighs 1,500 pounds. Comes with optional wings and light-speed drive.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My perception of a Maserati driver is:

Quattroporte, a 50 or over professional male that makes over 350K per year and has a wife and kids in college or already professionals. He drinks scotch, golfs and smokes cigars occasionally.

GT, a guy in mid 30's to 40 with a good income, probably 350K or higher. Single and dates multiple chicks and his next car is a Lambo Gallardo. He smokes weed occasionally and likes to drink Vodka Red Bulls.

Not really sure why, but that's my own perception.

As for the question: "what do they have to look for when they're 40 or 50?" Ok that's 25 years, yes? Probably a 1,000HP hybrid that weighs 1,500 pounds. Comes with optional wings and light-speed drive.
I touched on this in another thread in this forum, but I do think that the fact that an '05 QP goes for low to mid 30-40K is not something to forget about. You simply do not need to pull in 350K per year to drive a Maserati. New ones are expensive, and I don't see many 23 yr olds that could pull that cash out anytime soon (most have just graduated from university). However, if you make a decent living (even well below 100K per year) you can buy an '05 up to '08 for the price of a tricked out 2011 Acura.

Buy the car because you love it. I live in a small town, and I didn't buy the car for flash (I can afford to buy a Ferrari or Lambo for that matter), I bought it because I love the Maserati brand.....that and the fact that my dad paid for it :laugh:

Seriously, most people around my area drive around in Ford F150s, and a new one optioned out is more expensive than an early model coupe or QP, so the perception of a Maserati owner (not speaking to GFORCED comments above, but by the general public) is sometimes based on lack of knowledge of the used car market. It's also good to keep in mind that buying a used QP for circa 40K in your 20s isn't such a stretch, especially if you don't have the other costs associated with life, like children, a mortgage, and saving for your children's education and your retirement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I touched on this in another thread in this forum, but I do think that the fact that an '05 QP goes for low to mid 30-40K is not something to forget about. You simply do not need to pull in 350K per year to drive a Maserati.

Seriously, most people around my area drive around in Ford F150s, and a new one optioned out is more expensive than an early model coupe or QP, so the perception of a Maserati owner (not speaking to GFORCED comments above, but by the general public) is sometimes based on lack of knowledge of the used car market.
Great post bvanzyl! The question was my "perception." Let me rephrase: If you have a friend or see a stranger wearing a Kiton, Brioni, Zilli, etc. suit you would think immediately this guy has class, taste and cares about his appearance and makes a very good living. These suits are 5K new and you would never think someone had purchased a used suit. You also would not think, "This guy picked up this suit at a pawn shop and paid $150." Or "His dad probably gave it to him." Or "I bet this suit was a salvaged suit and he had it rebuilt." ;)

I simply see a car on the road and think that the guy that drove it bought it new and its been his for the duration. Has nothing to do with "lack of knowledge" as I don't think anyone on this site knows what a used Italian suit goes for, and would never consider people wearing used suits...But old suits gotta go somewhere, and they're on eBay by the hundreds.

The question for me is, would a guy that makes 70K a year wear a Kiton or drive a Maserati? Odds say no and say that he's successful, or on his way. Really, I don't know alot of broke guys driving Maseratis or any that would even consider one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I simply see a car on the road and think that the guy that drove it bought it new and its been his for the duration. Has nothing to do with "lack of knowledge" as I don't think anyone on this site knows what a used Italian suit goes for, and would never consider people wearing used suits...But old suits gotta go somewhere, and they're on eBay by the hundreds.
By "lack of knowledge", I was not implying stupidity or anything like that.
When I see what is an ostensibly expensive car, I actually do ask myself, I wonder if that is new or used. I ask because I'm into cars, and have always been amazed at how cheap once expensive cars can be a few years and thousand clicks down the road.

The fact is that most people have no idea just how cheap you can pick up a used Maserati. As a result, perception of the Maserati owner is skewed (sometimes in a negative way, for say, 23 yr old guys) because the people doing the judging have never looked for, or imagined that a Maserati can sell for less than the cost of an American pickup truck.

Used cars are common in our society, and people buying and driving used cars are a part of the infrastructure of the automobile industry. I'm not sure the same is true of Italian suits or designer clothing. The more appropriate analogy there would be the "designer knock-off" trade where people aren't buying used expensive items, but buying cheap, fake items. That is not what I was getting at in my original post.

:cheers:

21 - 40 of 112 Posts