Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte GT S, 2008
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Have a problem with passenger airbag that I have so far failed to find at my QP 4.2, 2007-12. The red airbag warning lit along with the yellow passenger airbag deactivation lamp when activated. Is preceded by a approximately 4 second flashing yellow deactivation lamp after turning the ignition key, then it lit together with the red airbag warning + text message. If I deactivate the passenger airbag over the switch, the red light goes out and the system works again. The Maserati workshop has connected to the system and they believe it is deactivation switch who is broken. However, they do not understand why the red warning light disappears without being erased / reset. Deactivation key switch changed, and the old tested OK in another vehicle. But the error persists.

Also cleaned the connector to the passenger airbag in the dashboard and the connector under the front passenger seat.

4,007 Posts
We don't have the deactivation switch in the USA so that maybe hard to get a lot of good advice on that one...If the workshop has the software they should be able to figure out something like that out it seems...Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue when I first bought my 07 QP a few months back. I picked the car up in Florida, drove around Miami for a few days and prepared for the fun ride home to New York. In doing so, my wife wife adjusted her seat. About 50 miles into the trip, the "Air Bag System Failure" light came on; with exact details you describe. It seemed to cycle through the messages and after about 20 miles of continued driving, it went out . . . then would appear again . . a few more times. Finally, it went away for good. When I got home, the car went straight to the dealer for diagnostics of the entire vehicle; including the air bag issue. They found nothing wrong. As I researched on my own, I found that the sensor under the seat, was disturbed when the seat was adjust, (typically the seat isn't adjusted often), this made a connection loose. Also, I found that if there is a passenger in the seat and the car is in motion, and the passenger takes wait off the seat, such as reaching into the back seat for something, then sits down again, the sensor will activate. It simply has to cycle a few times before correcting itself. I also found this is a very common error and unless there is strong reason to believe the airbag has failed, all is good. Please try taking the car for a long ride with the system failure light illuminated and give it time to reset, as I think this will resolve your issue.

Enjoy ride :)

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte GT S, 2008
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue when I first bought my 07 QP a few months back. I picked the car up in Florida, drove around Miami for a few days and prepared for the fun ride home to New York. In doing so, my wife wife adjusted her seat. About 50 miles into the trip, the "Air Bag System Failure" light came on; with exact details you describe. It seemed to cycle through the messages and after about 20 miles of continued driving, it went out . . . then would appear again . . a few more times. Finally, it went away for good. When I got home, the car went straight to the dealer for diagnostics of the entire vehicle; including the air bag issue. They found nothing wrong. As I researched on my own, I found that the sensor under the seat, was disturbed when the seat was adjust, (typically the seat isn't adjusted often), this made a connection loose. Also, I found that if there is a passenger in the seat and the car is in motion, and the passenger takes wait off the seat, such as reaching into the back seat for something, then sits down again, the sensor will activate. It simply has to cycle a few times before correcting itself. I also found this is a very common error and unless there is strong reason to believe the airbag has failed, all is good. Please try taking the car for a long ride with the system failure light illuminated and give it time to reset, as I think this will resolve your issue.

Enjoy ride :)
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll try your suggestion. However, is a bit skeptical that a hard set airbag alarm would disappear by itself. On the BMW-E38 (7er, 1995-2001), there was a trick to bridge with a 2ohm resistor on to the sensor mat cable in the passenger seat if it broke. Now I do not know if it is the problem on my car and whether it is applicable to QP.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
That code is not hard set. Same with the Alfas that use that switch. There are hard set ones that won't clear without diagnostics but this is normal behaviour for a euro car at least (with issues on the switch)

You may want to find another dealer?

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts