Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been at the shop in San Jose for longer than usual, and they said they ordered a pair of rear wheel bearings and are waiting for them to come from who-knows-where, maybe Italy. The story is, the "Ferrari-era" Maserati parts have been recently put on the same supply chain as the older Ferrari parts, separating them from the "Chrysler-era" Maserati for which parts are quickly obtained.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds logical. Also note that manufacturers are obliged to produce parts at least 10 years after model production.

That means that production for many parts for our early models has been stopped. That means are becoming "old" therefore more rare=more expensive. Fortunately latest 2012-2013 QP share many parts with early 2005 models.

Something gain something loose with old cars.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked on Scuderia USA website, they don't even list the wheel bearings for the older QPs. Definitely playing hard-to-get.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The parts share is about 40%,if memory serves. I have found somewhat better turnaround with UK & European parts houses for the rare parts like heater hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did try eurospares but it seems that their website has changed so I don't any longer know what is going on there. If you can find me the wheel bearings on there, let me know.

I checked again just now, I think the website is back to normal but I still can't find those wheel bearings.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I assume they are the same.

Sorry i'm not a engineer. Open the online chat or send them an email and ask for Claudio.
Give him the VIN and he'll tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A related question here is, why do I need new rear bearings on a car with 62,000 miles? What kind of parts life is that? My old Porsche bearings lasted almost forever, I was still rolling the originals on my 928 when it passed 160,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK my shop got and installed one brand new rear bearing... the price of this unobtainium was $1,000 for the part. Far more expensive than the ones available through our retail parts outlets for other model years.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the later cars, Eurospares is currently showing over 600 pounds retail but discounted to 440 pounds. This is still really costly. I checked other cars, even Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera wheel bearings are readily available in the USA for $100-150. I am now rethinking my choice of vehicle. I can understand a clutch kit costing $2,000 but a wheel bearing should never cost $1,000.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Sean, your bearing failure was not typical and shouldn't be a reflection of average life expectancy. Random parts simply fail, especially when a car grows into its 10-year mark. My girlfriend's Mercedes had a passenger right bearing fail at like 50K miles but my old Mercedes (with the same parts) was sold at nearly 300K miles with original bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suffered through a lot of needless problems in my Porsche 928 due to failed rebuilt parts. I had a bad steering rack, a bad MAF... both were rebuilt and failed early. I'm rolling with a bunch of used electronics as it is due to the impossibility of getting new stuff for the oldest models. But yeah when a wheel bearing for your car costs $1,000, it really should be a Lamborghini.

·
Registered
753 Posts
This would be overpriced as well.
Come one it is just a bearing.....

Now we understand the power of marketing of brand-name (one more time) .

If you put the same exact part in a i.e. Toyota box it would be priced 1/5.

Owners of Lamborghini should know that very well as they share many exact parts with Audi.

Anyway, this is part of the game when we buy top brand names in general (not only in cars)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I was thinking of an old Lambo, like maybe a Countach or Diablo. If those wheel bearings are $1000 it makes sense, because there is no economy of scale.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts