Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I had to pay more than $1,000 for one rear wheel bearing, which I could not find myself on any parts website and that had to be shipped in from Italy to my shop.

Now I had my car in the body shop for a front bumper refinishing and I figured while it was there I may as well take care of the rear passenger door belt molding which has been kinda broken ever since I bought the car. For those unacquainted with trim part lingo, the "belt molding" is the single curved strip of plastic fake chrome that sits in the window scraper seal above the door. No rubber comes with it, it's just the plastic chrome piece in the shape of a hockey stick. The shop got what was reportedly the last rear passenger belt molding in the USA from the Maserati parts desk, and it cost me $866.
For a piece of silver plastic shaped like a hockey stick.

The shop actually called me back after I asked them to fix it, assuming that I would not want to buy that and I would just leave it. I said "what the hell I just paid $1017 for a wheel bearing, let's do this". But I'm starting to wonder how I can keep justifying this stuff, it's getting beyond the point I was prepared for in 2016 when I bought this car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
New parts prices are crazy that's for sure, I try to go with used salvage yard stuff anytime I can as there seems to be plenty of stuff in really good condition selling at bargain prices. Got a passenger sun visor to replace my one that wouldn't stop hanging down last month for $25 that was in perfect shape and a new never installed alternator for $350. If only we could find a good source for those wheel bearings....

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, the part was in stock in the USA at the time. The cost of shipping to the shop was $30 added on top, it was separate on the bill.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meanwhile the same part is "available to order" at Scuderia for $194. I have no idea why I got soaked for this part from Maserati USA.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah talk about learning this lesson the hard way... problem is, sometimes I have to let a shop do it because I don't even understand enough about the problem to know what part will fix it. Also they got it in quickly enough to complete my job on their own timeline. I do regret not trying to get from Scuderia first though.... I paid more than 4 times their price from the dealership? I basically threw $600 away. I never even imagined it was possible to get so badly screwed on the price of an auto part, this is truly a revelation to me.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Well, the light at the end of the tunnel is that used parts are on the tumble. Now that these cars are getting older and more and more are wrecked and retired, the salvage yards can't "give" the parts away. For non-moving parts, I try to source salvage parts for this reason and save the money for the parts that wear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Agreed, QP5 part prices are definitely on par with Ferrari prices.
:(

Also agreed 100% salvage is the way to go!

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My problem was, I don't know enough about belt moldings or how they are installed, to know what I needed. I didn't ever understand how the original belt molding started bowing out from the rubber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A couple of months ago I had to pay more than $1,000 for one rear wheel bearing, which I could not find myself on any parts website and that had to be shipped in from Italy to my shop.

Now I had my car in the body shop for a front bumper refinishing and I figured while it was there I may as well take care of the rear passenger door belt molding which has been kinda broken ever since I bought the car. For those unacquainted with trim part lingo, the "belt molding" is the single curved strip of plastic fake chrome that sits in the window scraper seal above the door. No rubber comes with it, it's just the plastic chrome piece in the shape of a hockey stick. The shop got what was reportedly the last rear passenger belt molding in the USA from the Maserati parts desk, and it cost me $866.
For a piece of silver plastic shaped like a hockey stick.

The shop actually called me back after I asked them to fix it, assuming that I would not want to buy that and I would just leave it. I said "what the hell I just paid $1017 for a wheel bearing, let's do this". But I'm starting to wonder how I can keep justifying this stuff, it's getting beyond the point I was prepared for in 2016 when I bought this car.
Hi,
Have you tried Scuderia Car Parts in the UK. I live in New York and buy my parts there. They are genuine Maserati Parts, about 40% less than the dealer wants here, delivered within a day or two via DHL and reliable. www.scuderia.com Might be worth giving them a try.

·
Registered
610 Posts
just wait until you need a suspension or TPMS module just to find none available.
end up ordering from Chinese market stock through ebay.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Come on .....this is not a collectible car. You can still find everything. Sometimes upon request.

When you are desperate send an email and ask for Mrs Silvia.

This is the official spare parts seller in Modena on behalf of the factory.
(the factory does not sell spare parts to retail)

I even ordered there the plastic card (as an accessory) with the unique key code number based on my VIN . They are in line with the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even if Scuderia does have the part in stock, I've never waited more than few for it to reach their inventory and I've ordered several parts without any issues at all.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Come on .....this is not a collectible car. You can still find everything. Sometimes upon request.

When you are desperate send an email and ask for Mrs Silvia.

This is the official spare parts seller in Modena on behalf of the factory.
(the factory does not sell spare parts to retail)

I even ordered there the plastic card (as an accessory) with the unique key code number based on my VIN . They are in line with the factory.
Impossible to find ECUs

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I just had to replace my TPMS sensors on my 2012 QP5 Sport GT-S. I got the blinking TPMS failure icon, and realized likely sensor failure due to age. I purchased the sensors from Formula Dynamics for $100 each, a very significant savings from the dealer. Dealer installed and balanced perfectly. BTW, I just purchased new tires for my 993 and had the local Firestone dealer install and balance. They didn't get the balance right. I do trust my Mas dealer to get the job done right based on experience with them.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I love how tire shops send you off with tires out of balance. It's like those Youtube fails "you had ONE job".

They are literally so bad at the one thing they do, it's very strange. But at the same time, most auto repair shops don't do tires, so it puts us in a bind.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Tire balance is the easiest thing to do. The machine tells you everything and greenlights you when it's balanced. An alignment on the other hand is a completely different story. I ONLY trust the FM dealerships for that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts