Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and Maserati's in general. I'm a big euro car guy, own a Merc c43 amg, and a old school Audi 80 quattro. Had a '91 Audi V8 quattro that got totalled back in October :( RIP. Also have a '76 Merc 450 slc in the garage that's a running project car. I've seen Spyder's on ebay and autotrader for ~$27,000. I could definitely afford the car, but upkeep and maintenance is what I'm worried about. I'm looking to put <5000 miles a year on one, and it will be off the road for the winter. It will never even see road salt a day in it's life. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and the winters here are death on cars. So my question is, is there anywhere online you can buy parts for these cars, and get service manuals??? I'm a big DIY'er on cars, and I've done major work like timing belts and rebuilding suspensions myself. I know the timing belt is a frequent item of replacement on these, as is the clutch. Unless I'm missing something it sounds like you'd be at the mercy of the dealerships, none of which are in my part of the state :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

For one is no timing belt on the 4200 spyder or grandsport. In previous models yes.

The clutch can be replaced by an expererienced DIYer, you definately sound like one!, but you will still need to take the car to the dealer to adjust the KISS?? point. They have a very expensive gismo called SP3 or SD3. Only this can adjust the clutch.

Parts can be acquired either at Ebay Eurospare or by a sponsor of the website VT DMC. Service manuals are on Ebay in electronic format.

Hope this helps, you wont regret it if you buy one!!

Regards,
Marios

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got one!

maseratinewb,

I just purchased a 2003 Spyder GT, which I received 3/10/09. I also live in Pittsburgh and plan on using the vehicle for short trips around town. Don't buy one because I would like exclusivity in the burgh!! J/K The vehicle I purchased has 32k on the ticker and runs strong. I have some minor cosmetic items being addressed along with the terrible stereo (I'm an audio file). I have found the boards very helpful. Parts seem to be tough to find anywhere and I am looking for someone in the area that will perform any type of mechanical work on the vehicle. I believe that the heater core in my vehicle may need replaced as coolant can be smelled in the cabin. If you decide to purchase or would like to look at one just let me know. My email is my user name at hotmail.com. Good luck with your search. I love mine so far, but haven't had to perform any major repairs.

·
Registered
859 Posts
maseratinewb,

I just purchased a 2003 Spyder GT, which I received 3/10/09. I also live in Pittsburgh and plan on using the vehicle for short trips around town. Don't buy one because I would like exclusivity in the burgh!! J/K The vehicle I purchased has 32k on the ticker and runs strong. I have some minor cosmetic items being addressed along with the terrible stereo (I'm an audio file). I have found the boards very helpful. Parts seem to be tough to find anywhere and I am looking for someone in the area that will perform any type of mechanical work on the vehicle. I believe that the heater core in my vehicle may need replaced as coolant can be smelled in the cabin. If you decide to purchase or would like to look at one just let me know. My email is my user name at hotmail.com. Good luck with your search. I love mine so far, but haven't had to perform any major repairs.
Find a non dealer that you can trust to check the core, in most cases isn't the core but the inlet connections to the heating and AC unit. Get some books and you can do it yourself. A dealer will charge you close to 5 k for replacing not repairing, I had mine done not long ago and what a scam that was.
Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

The clutch can be replaced by an expererienced DIYer, you definately sound like one!, but you will still need to take the car to the dealer to adjust the KISS?? point. They have a very expensive gismo called SP3 or SD3. Only this can adjust the clutch.
Hi Just FYI: the clutch needs more than just the kiss point aligning, it has to be balanced using the SD2 and a further attachment with the addition of a strobe light as well, bit like adjusting the timing or balancing a wheel the clutch has to balanced by adding bolts to the plates, if you do it without the clutch will not last 5 mins and you then need a new flywheel which you may need anyway if you let the clutch wear down to far, there is an inspection plate where you can measure the wear without dropping the box. Flywheel £1000.00 + I know just paid for one on an 03 Spyder But love love the car.

Cheers Keith go for an 04 if can afford one most probs sorted by then by Fiat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts