Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maserati is the featured marque for the inaugural Desert Classic Concours d'Elegance. There is a tour on Friday the 29th. The concours will be at the O’Donnell Golf Course. I'm going because it is a lot warmer down there than it is up here.

http://www.desertconcours.com/

·
Registered
227 Posts
I spoke with Keith McCormick last night and it sounds like it's going to be a great event.
He says he has the first Ferrari race car ever built entered as well as many excellent vintage Maseratis.
I live out here full time and it's gorgeous out!
Don't miss it!

·
Registered
695 Posts
The wife and I are planning on going. Corral parking and clubhouse access. Looks like I will be taking Friday off to detail the car. Weather looking to be excellent for Saturday.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Palm Springs

Well just got home from Palm Springs, Nice weather at the event but on the way home, wind and rain!! The event it self was very unorganized.
1. They did not have my name at the gate.
2. The Maserati Corral was in two locations.
3. Every thing started late.
4. Ect.
5. The turn out was very small.

Now for the good news, I meet some nice people and saw some great cars. The location was very pretty, and the Hotel was great. We will go back just to stay there again.
I will up load some photos early next week.:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I think there were a number of areas that needed better organization but it was the first time they've done a show and everything came together in 4 to 5 months. Next year should be a lot better. Otherwise I agree, weather was great (especially coming from Chicago), a number of the cars were great and I met a number of interesting people.

I have some photos of the Maseratis up.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/r366cg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Palm Springs

Yes all of that is true, I did not mean to sound like it was awful at all.
As promised attached are the photos. My 2003 Coupe Gt in in the middle of the other 4200's.
Ron:)

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great photos, I like your 4200 GT. That motor is absolutely sensational.

Otherwise I don't mean to come across as defensive. The organizers definitely want to improve things for next year so if you or anyone else who attended have suggestions please post them. I will pass them along, I've already brought their attention to your suggestions.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So what was up with the red, blue, silver maser owners. Too good to park with us? ;)

We were parked first and had the better hand. Three of a kind and with a '67 Mistral as a high card.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost time again, although Alfa Romeo will be featured this year. It would be great (for me especially) to see a few Maseratis out as well. The information I have is the following, but it is a from a few months ago so it could have changed. :) Also, don't let those other owners clubs show up the Trident.

The featured marque of the 2009 Desert Classic Concours d’Elegance is Alfa Romeo, with early participants from the Alfa Romeo Owners’ Club, Ferrari Owners’ Club and Porsche Owners’ Club. In addition, as a special tribute to the late Robert Pond, co-founder of the Palm Springs Air Museum, noted aviator and car collector, an array of his most noteworthy automobiles will join this year’s Concours, some on public display for the very first time. Also planned for this year’s Concours, which will again focus greatly on premier racing cars, is a selection of Dan Gurney’s winning Eagles.
The tour is on Saturday February 28th and the show will be Sunday the 1st.
http://www.desertconcours.com/visitors.html

·
Registered
695 Posts
We can't make Saturday's drive, but plan on having the Spyder in the Display Corral on Sunday.

(Oh dear, another whole day of detailing)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't spend a whole day detailing if you don't want to. I always think it is better to have a car that doesn't have the trailer queen look.

I have seen the entry list and there are several interesting Maseratis. Both pre-war and post-war. A number of other unusual Italian cars.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice shots. Here a few from my cell phone. (remembered to charge the battery on the Nikon...and then forgot to bring it.)

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If anybody has any suggestions or ideas about ways to improve the event let me know, either by posting a response or PM. I will pass it along to the organizers.

Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts