Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the out of state 2017 GTS I recently purchased was just delivered 2 weeks ago I decided to take It to a local BMW Collision Center to have the paint looked at. Upon inspection, I’m been being told the vertical portion of the trunk lid has been repainted. Is this something that the Maserati dealer that I purchased the car from should have known and shared with me before I decided to buy the car??

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
262 Posts
It is a used car. They probably didn’t know unless on carfax.

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a used car. They probably didn’t know unless on carfax.
CarFax is clean. I guess I would have expected the dealership to have at least throughly inspected the car and picked up on something that a body shop guy saw after seeing the car for 30 seconds. Car is still under factory warranty and then CPO’ed for an additional year.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Repaint doesn't have to mean bad paint.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Check your state requirements. Many do not require the disclosure of previous repairs unless the repairs exceed a pre-set amount. By the way, the Maserati CPO Program isn't worth the paper it's written on. Once the original warranty expires, they will find a way to deny any claim you submit to them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would think that a CPO car would not have obvious paint repair. That is why you usually pay extra for the CPO. They either didn't disclose it or are lazy and just mark anything as CPO without inspection.

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is that once you can no longer say your paint is “100% factory paint” it’s considered a significant ding against the car. Again, I’ll not talking about touch up paint, I’m talking 25% of the trunk lid being repainted. You can even see remnants of the tape line across the width of the trunk.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is it a good match, just not finished enough? Even MANY brand new cars have paint repairs from damage incurred during shipping etc. Just like minor dent repairs etc Its a tough world out there.
Did they, in fact state the paint was 100% OE untouched, not repaired etc??

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must admit, I probably would have never noticed it (uneducated eye) if the body shop guy didn’t point it out.
Before shipping the car, when asked to inspect the exterior, the dealer (salesman) told me twice that the car’s exterior was “PERFECT” other than some dings under the front spoiler.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sometimes its the dealers themselves who fix major scratches on the car and not report it to carfax. If the whole trunk is not painted it means the damage was not big

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to work in auto body stuff and there's paint on even new cars. In fact, sneaky painting brand new cars before sale is a whole industry in itself. I had a brand new Lexus GS350 F-Sport and I found pearl overspray in the seat vents from a touch up.

Also, the dealership might not know, and, they probably would just tell you anyways because they, too, get a warranty on their work, so its no cost to them to have something fixed up for you if there's a spot you don't like.

However, I'm not sure I buy that just the vertical portion was painted, or painted at all. First, there's nowhere to hide a tape line. So how would you even just paint the face of it? Hide the tape line under the trim? Even then, that would not be considered "acceptable" because you have to clear the entire panel, even if you just blend one part of it. Furthermore! The vertical face of the trunk is fiberglass, not metal, you have to replace it. I'm wondering if they think the vertical was repaired because the paint looks a hair different, but this is because of the different substrate.

If you want, pull the liner off the trunk and lets see the back side of it. If there's been a repair, it will be painfully obvious. Also, removing the trunk carpet is super easy, and it goes right to bare metal. You'll know right away if its been worked on. there's a replaceable patch panel that bridges the gap between the rear tail lights too and that will be (sloppily) seam sealed from factory with a brush seam sealer. If its been heat, it will probably have a better seam sealer on it. Also another give away is that Maserati painted the spot under the rear trunk latch black with a rattle can so it looks nicer when the trim is put back on. If that's missing, its been hit. Probably.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you didn’t notice it, What made you take it to the Collision center on the first place?

Honestly it’s a 3 year old car at this point and probably needs a full paint correction anyways.
You are not going to have any recourse with the selling dealer short of legal options which probably ended up costing you money out of pocket.

My advice would be to find a good detailer and get it ceramic coated and go enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i initially took it to BMW COLLISION based on a “cloudy” spot I noticed on the paint in a completely different. This was under the dealerships advice after I sent them pictures. The body was able to buff that defect easily out but it during this time the worker noticed the trunk issue. He pointed out that the tape line was not even hidden.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i initially took it to BMW COLLISION based on a “cloudy” spot I noticed on the paint in a completely different. This was under the dealerships advice after I sent them pictures. The body was able to buff that defect easily out but it during this time the worker noticed the trunk issue. He pointed out that the tape line was not even hidden.
exactly what I said...where would you hide the tape line?? Well looks like they didn’t. Whole trunk should be repainted now.

cloudypaint comes from bad compounding job. I still wouldn’t say the car got hit tho, even a scratch deeper than a fingernail requires paint these days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you didn’t notice it, What made you take it to the Collision center on the first place?

Honestly it’s a 3 year old car at this point and probably needs a full paint correction anyways.
You are not going to have any recourse with the selling dealer short of legal options which probably ended up costing you money out of pocket.

My advice would be to find a good detailer and get it ceramic coated and go enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the problem here is longevity. Where the tape line is exposed, that’s where the clear coat is gonna peel off the first summer it hits 140 degree surface temps and if it’s not rectified now, it will be up to him later to repair it.

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Body shop guy almost guaranteed me it wasn’t hit. Said he could tell that none of the hardware to remove the trunk were ever touched. He could see where the bottom piece of trim had been removed at some point. Maybe enough scratches on the trunk that it was decided to cut corners and just carelessly paint just the vertical section of the trunk lid. Am I being unreasonable to think that the dealer should have caught this and informed me before shipment? They did say the car was detailed so someone up close to the trunk lid paint.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Detailed at the dealership basically means they let their intern loose with a bottle of meguiars wash and wax spray.

I wouldn’t count on them to find issues like this. For what it’s worth you didn’t notice it either upon initial inspection. Most people won’t notice either.

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys, thanks for all the input. Just making sure the dealer didn’t purposefully try to pull a fast one on me. Getting a professional ceramic coating in a couple weeks....can’t wait to see how the car looks after that....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok guys, thanks for all the input. Just making sure the dealer didn’t purposefully try to pull a fast one on me. Getting a professional ceramic coating in a couple weeks....can’t wait to see how the car looks after that....
nah they wouldn’t have noticed to them it’s just another car

make sure you get surface correction done before coating or it will just coat a bad surface!!

·
Registered
2017 GTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I asked the guy at the detail shop how long he would need the car for the ceramic coating he stated it would depend on how long the surface correction process would take so I think that’s covered....THANKS!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts