Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
paint vs powder coat on ? UPDATE

OEM 15 spoke 18's - opinions as I weigh my options ?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think it's a matter of looks vs. strength. I would get it painted even if I had to get it touched up once in a while. I'm all for thr looks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure if what I have is powder coating, or some other high tech solution, but it definitely isn't paint. It has held up for 5 years. It is called Permastar, and the 'coating' I have on my seven spoke OEM wheels is a "Black Pearl" finish which is awesome.
The company here in Northern Calif that gets it done is Pacific Rims in Pittsburg.
May be the best tradeoff between powder coating and paint, but I am not an expert on the chemistry, just the results.
Mike

Most powder coat breaks down under UV light. Therefore, you would want to avoid extended sunlight exposure (ie parking the car outside as opposed to being garaged) for long periods of time.

I say get them painted.

Rgds...

- John in DC

·
Registered
339 Posts
don't do it

search my previous posts on here and Ferrarilife for details on your wheels.

Your stock wheels are powder coating like process from BBS. They are heat treated wheels and the final stage of the heat treating process is a baking on of the clear coat finish (thicker than paint yet still sprayed on wet, almost a hybrid of the two processes).

Powder coating is horrible for heat treated products. Yes, you can physically do it, however each time you heat cycle the wheel you're going to see up to a 30% degredation in structural integrity. Powder coating never works first spray so you're going to need 2-3 heat cycles. That means your finished product could end up being at 34% of it's original strength! On a cast wheel that's already designed to be soft and has a problem with bending, you're taking some major safety risks. For this reason, BBS's official policy (and Maserati's) is that the wheels can not be repaired and if they're at the point where they need it, they should only be replaced.

If you're getting the paint touched up, make sure they blast the surface and don't use a chemical stripper or heat. Also, in the curing process, it should dry air temperature and not be baked on like the original finish.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions or recommendations on paint shops that I'd trust to touch up nicks.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Get them painted by an expert...

I had very minor curb rash on two wheels. While at a car show I was introduced to a guy they call the wheel man. Long story short, he came to my home with a trailer that had a complete rim shop in the back. I picked out the color I wanted, ( bright silver ), 4 hours and 400.00 later I had four Super shiny incredible looking rims...

Looked like new, except they were a little brighter and popped. That is what I was going for.

First he sanded the rims down, then he filled in the marks and resanded everything. He primed the wheel, then put a few coats of wheel paint on them. The last two coats were high gloss enamel clear coat.

He also offered powdercoating for 400 more. It would have taken a week or so, and I could have gotton chrome, but I had some doubts about it.

Bottom line, if you get a professional wheel painter, you will be amazed at the results. I am extremely happy.

Good luck. CM

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on Painted Rims

Finally pulled the trigger and decided to paint the rims the same color as the car - we ordered the OEM Maserati paint and put 3 coats of self leveling clear coat over them. They came out darker than I thought but I am very happy with the color combo on the 15 Spoke OEM's - wasn't quite sure at first.

Painted the trident emblem in the center cap red which I think makes the rim pop just a bit. The stock trident inserts are plastic and break whenever a cleaning rag catches so this avoids that and looks better.

Also, I've had 2 recent blow outs so I put on all new Vredestein Sessantas's - I've only driven them about 20 miles so far and my initial reaction is they are much quieter and smoother than the Conti Sports I had. They are, however, a bit twitchy - I need to get used to the more sensitive steering response but overall very happy so far.

I Thought I would throw in a pic of the engine bay without the cowl covers as well. I removed them to install Denso Iridium's and left them off for now to do some tightening and cleaning over the weekends.

I have the 18" front Conti Sport 3 with about 100 miles for sale if anyone is interested. Otherwise, it's onto Craigslist local.

The first pic is BEFORE (OEM Color)

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
Mike those wheels look great after 5 years of a non factory finish!

Ramp, I do think the paint is a good choice and the wheels look very nice with that matching paint.

FWIW, we here of many wheel powdercoating jobs that don't turn out well. I'm just not sure if it's really durable enough or if you need to work with somebody who has lots of experience doing it. All the wheels I've had powdercoated get dull and there's no easy way to get them shiny again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had very minor curb rash on two wheels. While at a car show I was introduced to a guy they call the wheel man. Long story short, he came to my home with a trailer that had a complete rim shop in the back. I picked out the color I wanted, ( bright silver ), 4 hours and 400.00 later I had four Super shiny incredible looking rims...

Looked like new, except they were a little brighter and popped. That is what I was going for.

First he sanded the rims down, then he filled in the marks and resanded everything. He primed the wheel, then put a few coats of wheel paint on them. The last two coats were high gloss enamel clear coat.

He also offered powdercoating for 400 more. It would have taken a week or so, and I could have gotton chrome, but I had some doubts about it.

Bottom line, if you get a professional wheel painter, you will be amazed at the results. I am extremely happy.

Good luck. CM
Does anyone have experience with a mobile refinisher like this in the Chicagoland area?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts