Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for inspection ('11 QPS) and the guy tells me, while he was looking at it he received those codes and the check engine light came on. Hands me my keys and says sorry I can't pass inspection with a check engine light.

Two of the codes point to Bank 2 Sensor 1 so I replaced it, cleared the codes and drove around a bit. No help, same codes pop back up.

Does anyone know what P3017 indicates? My next plan is to ohm out the wires, but I don't have a pinout. I'd hate to shotgun a wiring harness for no reason... more than likely I'd end up with three new problems. Has someone worked on this harness that could give me some insight on what I'm up against?

When looking at the live data, everything appears to be normal (comparing banks volt readings), then all of a sudden B2S1 freezes while B1S1 keeps fluctuating. If i give it some gas the B2S1 reading changes, but not quite the same as B1S1.

I think I'll try reseating the ECU connectors real quick, and record the live data. I'll give that a shot and report back.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm no expert but I am curious. At what voltage value is B2S1 freezing at? When you replaced this O2 sensor, did you buy the sensor & cable as a unit, or did you splice into existing wires?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought as a unit. Our wideband connectors have a cal resistor on the inside so splicing wont work for them.

I hopped on one of those ask a mechanic websites and for $1 I had a Maserati guy tell me those codes tell him that I have an intake leak. That there's too much O2 in the exhaust. And guess what, a month ago I changed my alternator. Imagine that lol.

3,683 Posts
It is possible that you messed up an intake manifold gasket replacing the alternator....Spray some carb cleaner around where the intake attaches to the cyl head.. and listen for the engine note to change....The p3017 is showing something with the ambient air temps sensor, but I'm not positive that is the correct definition...Just generic one....Jason

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The intake seal is fine. It was a wire on B2S1 (green) that was severed. If I had known B2 was on the driver's side I'd have fixed it days ago.

But, after letting it idle for about 30 minutes, my brand new alternator bit the dust. Can't blame it on the rebuild shop this time... I have another gremlin to chase down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts