Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently got P0011 and P0301 engines codes, the CEL was flashing and then went away, at one point it stayed. Yearly service was due 3 weeks later, so I did it immediately, to rule out any contaminated oil or something like that.

The service didn't really help and the problem is intermittent. For example, first start this morning the issue was here. It's easy to identify, there is an unusual faint noise, like a slight tapping that is present (you will only hear it if you stop the AC). As opposed to those having issues with variators, it's not nearly as loud and it doesn't go away. If I drive like this, I will get the CEL blinking, and there clearly is a performance issue, maybe because of the misfires. The work around that I found so far is to restart the car. The noise will go, no CEL, and the car will perform beautifully and can be redlined without any second thoughts as usual.

The question is: is my solenoid gradually failing, or should I brace for the worst and look in the ECU department? I guess it's not mechanical per se as there is no unusual mechanical noise when the problem doesn't happen. It sounds more like an electronic issue, which doesn't exclude the solenoid working intermittently.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

7,622 Posts
You can really just google it if the first # is a 0 and you'll be really close...If it is a 1 or 2 then it gets a little more murky as that maybe specific to that manufacture...Jason

·
Registered
434 Posts
That settles it! I am starting a GO FUND ME to raise $$$ to pay Jason for all of his priceless advice...Just kidding. It takes valuable time and attention to give so much to a website...life is short and I don't know that you are adequately appreciated. Thank you so much, Jason, for all you do for us.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are a getting a p0011 then yes that would be a good place to start is with replacing the solenoid...Jason
Thank you Jason!

The issue has become more or less permanent now, hard to get rid of it with just a restart. P0011 and P0301 only. I'll order the parts, may do the other half the same time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To recap, it started about 2 to 3 weeks ago with the P000A CEL. Then got worse and worse from intermittent to almost permanent (as described in my first post) with P0011 and P0301. I tried to unplug the solenoids to see if the odd noise would go, it seems to still be there. It kind of sounds like a diesel engine idle, which is a bit worrying... I also checked the technical service bulletin, my engine number is 149778, so it should have the anti back flow oil valve already, and my noise is more or less permanent, not only happening at startup or while releasing the throttle. I'm trying to change the RH side (driver side for me in RHD - bank 1) solenoid, I just ordered it and the various gaskets from Eurospares, we'll see.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kinda told you what I thought on that..BTW..all those real long hose clamps with all the excess isn't a good look... ;):) J
Yep, thank you again. Parts on the way from the UK with Fedex ;)
Just adding data, so that if someone has a similar issue in the future they can compare or relate. I'll update after the job is done, I guess within 7 to 10 days or so.

I keep on driving the car on small distances, trying to stay under 3k rpm, not sure if it is a good idea but not much choice since it is my daily.

For the clamps, you are right. I never noticed. I have a box of clamps somewhere, if I have time to kill one of these days I may do it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Job done and unfortunately, it's exactly the same issue. I mean the code I had this time during the short drive was P000A, instead of P0011 but I had it as well at the beginning... I guess it starts to smell bad... At some point the car seemed to work but there was still this unusual noise, plus some new noise that would come intermittently... Timing chain was tight. I guess we're looking at the camshaft variator on bank 1? What do you thing @[email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta ?
I will try to drive it a little longer and see if anything different comes up but not hopeful at all...
Thank you!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that sounds like it is gonna have to come all apart and be fitted with the updated parts...Jason
Thank you.

P0011 is back... Clearly driving the same as before. It's frustrating because it already has the anti back flow oil valve but I think on these engines the variators hadn't been updated yet... I'll have someone diagnose to make sure it's not something else and I am not throwing money at camshaft variators just for the sake of it. What's next if I don't get it looked after super quickly? Bent valves? I am babying it when I drive, trying to stay under 3k rpm and only doing 5 to 10 km trips but I don't want to worsen the issue...

7,622 Posts
Yeah, just doing the valve is 1/2 the job...Yes, it would be best to have a shop look at it in person rather than me via the internet...It would have to get really bad to bend the valves...Jason

Reactions: ecarca

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the car went to Maserati for diagnosis, they confirmed that it's the cam variators:

Computer Personal computer Font Software Multimedia

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Paper

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

They came up with a 11300 USD quotation... One independent I know can do it for 8100 USD. My guess is I can get away with something like 2500 USD in parts at Eurospares changing some extra bits like the timing chain sliders, etc., then I am targeting to find someone that will do the work for 2500 USD.

So in the meantime I purchased a 2008 Audi S5 for daily driving until I find a good solution.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it was back together and P0011 showed up again... Then it got apart once again and the culprit now that everything else is new turns out to be the RH front head cap anti-back flow oil valve that is leaking. Good news is the part is not sold separately, only with the head, so we're on the hunt for a second hand one... I guess the variators hadn't fail yet and most of the initial issue came out from this. My engine was one of the ones that came out with the already modified head caps. If anyone reads this thread down the line, and has an engine from the firsts that came out with the modified part, I'd suggest to check this first, even before the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts