Maserati Forum banner

Overfilled the engine oil. Oil is in my intake manifold. Help!

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SeanFulop 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Newbie here.
07 Maserati quattroporte sport gt duo select

My dumb ass overfilled the engine with (a lot) of oil and ran it for 2-5 miles when a shit load of smoke started coming out of the exhaust. Now there’s a lot of oil in the intake manifold , misfires. Long story short I didn’t know about the dry sump and the other plugs I had to remove. I drained it properly now and it has 9.5 quarts of oil.

Problem is there’s a shit load of oil in the intake manifold. I have to remove it and clean out all the oil and blow out all the lines.
Question
1. Does anyone have a Manuel or instructions to r&r the intake manifold.
2. Is there any other potential problems the overfill of oil may of caused ?
3. Do I have to replace any gaskets ?

#2 ·
1. Don't just put "9.5 quarts" of oil in a dry sump car. Assuming you drained the sump and the block properly, refill to 7 quarts then run the car to temp. With engine idling at operating temperature, check and refill until the oil level is in between the marks. If you refill with 9.5 quarts, it's likely you overfilled again. These cars don't have a pan, so oil lives in many places in the engine - sump, block, filter, accumulator, pumps, etc. Be sure you have the correct amount of oil before going any further.
2. Intake manifold removal is a bog job if you're a newbie. Disconnect battery FIRST. All firewall forward components need to be removed, including wipers, trim, wiper motor assembly, drain pain, etc. Tie up the brake fluid reservoir so it doesn't spill. Then the supports that surround the manifold along with fuel rails need to be disconnected. Remove MAF and intake. After this, you should have access to the 16 hex bolts that secure the manifold. You'll find other steps as you go - I'm at my office pulling this from the top of my head.
3. It could very well do damage. I can't advise on where to look for additional damage without seeing the car. Jason could give better advice on this.

I highly recommend bringing the car to someone experienced in the QP to sort this out.

#4 · (Edited)
Totally different car with a different engine...Apples and oranges...Best thing to is remove the throttle body and absorb most the oil with rags...The oil will ppool in the bottom of the intake manifold..Make sure you REMOVE the rags.. Let it run for a while...Eventually, it will burn off the excess....Jason

#5 ·
Just had a customer bring in a QP5 DuoSelect that he had another shop do the oil change on, completely overfilled and smoking. It would be be great if they had a sticker or something that mentioned that it's a dry sump car and oil changes are a bit different, to check the manual. With that said, it happens, if you're not familiar with the car. If you caught it pretty quickly and didn't drive it hard, you shouldn't need any gaskets and shouldn't have caused any issues. It's going to smoke for a while but should be OK.

Best Regards,

#8 ·
...got what you deserved. Very funny Sean.

#9 ·
Honestly, any shop whose techs doesn't understand the concept of "dry-sump" engine shouldn't attempt to work on one. Those are the same places that try to flash your TCU, attempting to get the clutch to work that they just spent 2 months installing. In south florida, these situations grow on palm trees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.