Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a few other discussions along this same line, but I'm wondering what my other like minded Maserati owners think of the alternatives. The car that really has me thinking about my options is the new Nissan GT-R. How disappointed do you think I would be if I bought the new Nissan? It appears to be quite a machine and will be relatively rare (1500/year), though still a Nissan.

I need a four seat car so that I can take the kids on weekend drives, so my preferred options are limited to performance/GT coupes with four seats. I very much prefer a car that is not so common. The following is a list of what I consider the options for my next upgrade and adjectives which come to mind when I think of them.

Aston DB9 - relatively expensive GT cruiser, stylin' but not excitin'
Bentley Continental - expensive GT cruiser, pompous, old man car
BMW M3 or M6 - reasonable choice, design challenged, common
Ferrari 612 - too expensive for me, beautiful, maybe someday
Jaguar XKR - for the guy who doesn't really like cars but thinks he does
Mercedes CLK63 - comfortable fast, girl's car w/ man's engine, common look
Mercedes CL600 or 63 - expensive GT cruiser, old man car (my dad has one)
Maserati GranTurismo - I wish it had the Alfa 8C's 4.7, beautiful & unique
Nissan GT-R - right price, wow performance, Japanese marvel, new, unique
Porche 911T - fast, fun, and seriously common

I apologize for offending anyone, but tough s**t if I did. Anyone have ideas of cars I'm missing from the list or do you think I'm way off base? Have any of you considered the GT-R? I also apologize for discussing these cheating thoughts which are passing through my head. My clutch will likely disintegrate tomorrow, just to teach me a lesson.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We've had a few other discussions along this same line, but I'm wondering what my other like minded Maserati owners think of the alternatives. The car that really has me thinking about my options is the new Nissan GT-R. How disappointed do you think I would be if I bought the new Nissan? It appears to be quite a machine and will be relatively rare (1500/year), though still a Nissan.

I need a four seat car so that I can take the kids on weekend drives, so my preferred options are limited to performance/GT coupes with four seats. I very much prefer a car that is not so common. The following is a list of what I consider the options for my next upgrade and adjectives which come to mind when I think of them.

I apologize for offending anyone, but tough s**t if I did. Anyone have ideas of cars I'm missing from the list or do you think I'm way off base? Have any of you considered the GT-R? I also apologize for discussing these cheating thoughts which are passing through my head. My clutch will likely disintegrate tomorrow, just to teach me a lesson.
so far the GT-R sounds promising, especially the pricing / performance.

however, i do not see it as an alternative to a maserati, or an upgrade from a maserati.

yes, it is an option for a second, third, or fourth car. or a new toy perhaps.
i have considered one as a new toy. but not to replace my maserati's. may be an alternate car to be driven in rain or snow instead of the maserati's.

btw you need to short list your 'options'. you got $200k+ V12's to $80k V8's. it's all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I was seriously tempted by the new GT-R and the fact I could have got one quite early from my Nissan dealer (got a Nissan Murano as second car).

Fact is, it's probably going to be a very uncomfortable ride with a very sterile interior, so I felt it was something I could have used as a track day car only. Given I don't have the time for track days, ultimately it would have been a useless toy for me.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well here is my...

opinion..

if you need the space, big family, go for the QP, otherwise get the coupe.. I have two little guys, 4 and 6, and all four of us ride in the coupe without any problems. We have the Ferrari car seats for the kids, and the rest is history. My kids love riding in the Maserati, the Tubi music is like a lullaby for them, they go to sleep in the car..

·
Registered
695 Posts
The car that really has me thinking about my options is the new Nissan GT-R. How disappointed do you think I would be if I bought the new Nissan? It appears to be quite a machine and will be relatively rare (1500/year), though still a Nissan.

From an old man:

Aston DB9: The AMV8 was better. (Test drove both back to back) DB9 rear seats are name only (as is the Jag's).
Bentley Conti GT: 198mph Cruise Missile. When you absolutely, positively have to get to across the continent overnight. Seems to attract buxom women.
BMW M3 or M6: Common-true, but you gotta admire Formula One trickle down technology
Ferrari 612: IMO it is one of the ugliest F cars I've seen come out of PF Design House in decades. Why not buy a (better looking) late model 456M instead?
Jaguar XKR: Pace and Grace. A little too cheap interior but will hang with an Aston Martin on the track - just not the country club.
Any Mercedes: Yawn. Except the CLK63 Black Series, but no rear seat.
Maserati GT: What an Italian four-seat Gran Turismo is suppose to look like. F612? What's an F612?
Porsche: Attracts potential Corvette buyers that have deeper pockets
Nissan GTR: Inspiration for the upscale ricer metrosexual set. Ultimately, a disposable car. It's intended demographic will forget about it when a competing Japanese company builds something faster.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, great responses.

M!, you're correct, I do need to narrow my $ range. I haven't come to grips with spending more than $150k for a car, so the 612 is out. The other more expensive ones on the list can be bought a year or two old for the low $100s. I know I'm comparing cars that weren't intended to be cross-shopped, so I likely just need to pick a direction.

Also, I have a tiny little two car garage. I'm ready to move just for more parking spaces, but the wife loves the neighborhood, so no go. My jeep sits out in the cold already and I know the wife isn't willing to put her car out for another toy. I know, personal problem, boo hoo.

BigFoot, also curious when you might have taken delivery.

GrndLkNatv. I agree the coupe is great. I've had mine for over two years and am just starting to get the itch. Funny, but after reading your post, I realized we drive almost exactly the same car, work a few blocks from one another, have two kids the exact same ages, and (if I remeber correctly) are both engineers. Odd.

Bcube, great post, enjoyed the take, especially on the Porsche. Disagree on the 612 though, I love the look. I was actually considering a 456, until a Ferrari dealer actually talked me out of it. They recently had a late model, low mileage example on the floor which I was looking at, when the dealer said, "why buy that when you already have the Maser?" He said that "they break so often the Italians must have been drunk when they built them and the Maser is much more fun anyways." A great, honest dealer.

Thank you very much for the comments. I was just curious if any others out there have had this dilema and looked at the GT-R. Due to the relatively rational cost, I might just get on the order list, eventually take delivery, and just sell it at what shouldn't be too much of a loss if I don't like it. I just need a good friend to store the Maser while I'm deciding. I'm sure that will be tough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rear seating

I just want to emphasize what has already been said. I adjusted the drivers seat in a GranTurismo for optimal driving position and then sat in the back.There was plenty of rear room for me to feel comfortable. Can't do that in a DB9. You can get a reputable company to improve throttle response, torque curve, etc. and maybe feel just the little more oomph you were hoping for.

·
Registered
286 Posts
well the feel of the build quality will be night and day. the gt-r will feel cheap but for good reason it is cheap. so the real decision is what is the car going to be used for?

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you are truly looking at a japanese sports car look for a grey market R33 or R34 GTR...if able track down a NurSpec variant they are amazing cars...well beyond the performance and style of the new GT-R

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The Japanese Cars...

Just don't have any character.... I have had my fill of Japanese and American cars and the Japanese cars are super reliable, always get you there, but they just lack the excitement, the charisma, and I understand about having the itch thing, but when I roll out of this coupe, it will be into a
new Gran Turismo or the QP... There's nothing better than owning a Maserati and the only equal is a Ferrari... With a family, it's Maserati...

·
Registered
286 Posts
oh dont forget about all the ricer kids that will harass you every time u fill up and try to race you every chance they get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts